Popular Tags: [View All]
dale walton
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
OK, First forum post at last.

I have been considering for some time the pros and cons of web-pulishing or abstract strategy games (Pin International) We are a wood manufacturer, so what brings us income is selling the physical games.

The advantage of getting the games familiar to the community probably far out-weighs the lost of sales to those who play mainly on line. However we are not experienced in using the web effectively.

So please comment on the currently best, most active sites and the cost and service trade-offs - or refer me to appropriate lists/forums.

You may also comment here anything about our reputation, or that you would like us to know at PIN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Recommendations on best sites to web-publish on
Are you trying to make money off of the digital versions of your games?

If not, you can just post files to the game listings here on BGG. you might want to put a file with the rules of the game here anyway, it will help people become more aware of your games.

If you are trying to get money, RPGNow.com sells PDFs of role playing and other games. I have not used thier services as a buyer or seller, but I have read thier seller agreement, it seems fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Goadrich
United States
Conway
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The online sites for board gaming I hear most about are

http://www.gametableonline.com/

http://www.brettspielwelt.de/

http://www.littlegolem.net/

I'm not a member at any of these sites, so I can't comment on service or cost to have your game hosted there, but it looks like the host abstract games such as yours. I for one would appreciate the chance to try out your games like Poison Pot online. Good luck!

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitcher
United States
Manchester
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few problems with the sites mentioned above. Not that you should rule them out but I figured you might want to know ahead of time.

The game table online generally only takes games that have already been produced, the exception being Reiner Kniza games. (I am a member)

BSW although having a huge player base charges the license holder to put their game up. (Play when i can get it to work on my old computer)

Little golem seems to have almost no active members, whenever I would reply to a request to play a game the other player never responds. (based on 6 month ago)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dale walton
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dale walton
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks. Those are good suggestions. I was not aware of the last one.

I am sure there are more: I have seen games on search engines like Yahoo! and Google, and there is Zillions. - Though I don't know the pros and cons of each approach. Please keep the suggestions and advice coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitcher
United States
Manchester
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zillions of Games A.K.A. ZOG is a good way to get abstract games to the people who might enjoy them the most. The problem with it is you have to buy the software to play, many people who might love your game will not be able to try it so on its own its not the total answer. I have implemented my game Cannon using ZOG and have had people say that they first played using it and I have played many people online using it as well. Coding zillions script is a bit more difficult than doing html but not impossible for the novice to pick up. There are many people at the ZOG forum that will be more then happy to assist you with programming.

I won’t get into the strengths and weaknesses of the ZOG AI unless you feel you need to inquire further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.