Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Parker
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
My group enjoys playing this every so often, until we breakdown on rule questions and misprints, and get frustrated. After a while though, people forgive these sins and repeat the whole experience.

I'm hoping to get rid of it, but I need something else that kind of fills the slot BaHotH fills for us.

I've heard that When Darkness Comes or Zombies!! (with rule tweaks) might fit the bill. Also, the upcoming Arkham Horror reprint looks REALLY promising.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sisk
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Arkham Horror reprint looks very promising, but there is precious little information on it as of yet. It may be worth waiting until more is know or until it is released to see if it's better than the others you mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doom!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deleted User
msg tools
badge
Sorry, but Zombies!!! is an awful game with cool plastic zombies.

There isn't a good alternative at the moment.

May I suggest investing in the Call of Cthulhu roleplaying game instead? The original Chaosium version is best, but even the WOTC d20 edition has its merits. (Or, alternatively check out the Kult RPG if you have a strong stomach.)

There will probably never be a decent roleplaying-slash-boardgame because you really need a capable game master for any roleplaying experience to be effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Parker
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Doom?

I played Doom once, and was fairly lukewarm to it. Other than the 1 vs. the rest mechanic (which isn't really loved or hated in BaHotH by any of us), I don't know that they are that similar.

-Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always the game that inspired Betryal at House on the Hill ... Black Morn Manor.

Long out of print but still available here, apparently:
http://www.orphyte.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Chill was reprinted last year. My local store had a few copies, and somebody bought a copy and we played a couple of games in the store. It was fun. I wish I had picked it up. I haven't seen it since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like zombies and don't think it needs rules tweaks. I like to play just the mall set (plus zombies from the main set) for a short game. it is, however, not a replacement for betrayal.

When darkness comes could be. I had the main set and first expansion but traded them away after not being able to get players. With a good GM it could be great.

The call of cthulhu rpg is another good suggestion.

you might check out some of the horror and lovecraft geeklists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chill: Black Morn Manor is going to be the best of the lot if you're looking for something like Betrayal. Betrayal is pretty much based directly on Black Morn.

When Darkness Comes is good, but takes longer and is more RPGish. Download the combined rules as they are better than the ones you get in the box.

Zombies is excellent if you don't mind chaotic beer and pretzels games. I recommend the QuickerPlay Rules which incorporate various player created variants that improve the game immensely.

See my Geeklist here for some more ideas:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check: Sucking Vacuum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Parker
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks all for all the great suggestions. After reading these comments, it looks like Zombies!!! with rule tweaks and Sucking Vacuum (which I had never heard of before, thanks) are going to be the substitutes. I really appreciate all the feedback.

-Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Plague is much better than Zombies. & it's free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But does it come with zombie x 100 ?

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.