Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Moderatly Limited Edition Rulebook wrote:
On A Mech's Go
a) Discard initiative die
b) Name your target. If you have an artillery weapon you can name a target at artillery range; if you have a direct fire weapon you can name a target at direct-fire range. You can name a target at hand-to-hand even if you've got no weapons at all - but of course you'll have to use a white die to follow through.
c) If you're spotting, name your spotting target. You can spot any mech in direct fire range.
d) Roll and assign your dice
e) place a defence die
f) resolve pending attack, if any
g) move/attack or attack/move
h) maybe place a spot die
i) maybe seize a station

For part (b) they mention ranges and attacks. We assume that the intent is to measure the ranges at that instant. That had the following game-breaking effects: hand-to-hand was vastly inferior to direct fire, because it will "fizzle" over half the time.

Here's how. Say I'm a HtH guy and I'm 4" from my target. I'd like to run up to it and bop it. But its currently at direct fire range, so I can't name it as a target. Oh well, I guess I'll just run up to HtH range and wait until next turn. Later that turn, that mech activates, and maybe it gets the bright idea to move at least 1" away from my HtH guy. Next turn, my HtH attack will once again be unable to name an in-range target.

The only way to actually hit a mobile target with a HtH attack is to activate later than the target on a set-up turn, then activate earlier than that target on the next turn, so you're in HtH range. If you don't immobilize your target, then you surely won't be able to attack on the follow-up turn. Games only last 4-5 turns, so HtH attachments will get to attack 0-2 times total per game. That sucks.

It's better to allow people to announce any target at any range they want, but when they gather up dice, they only get to roll one range-band of dice: Artillery, Direct Fire, or HtH.

An open question is what to do when your Direct Fire guy rolls all 1s for his red attack dice, but rolls 6s for movement and white dice. Is it then legal to run up to HtH and just punch the target, or do you have to stick with your attack plan that you created by rolling those red Direct Fire dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Bowers
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A mech only gets one attack per turn, and you must declare the target and the range (band) that the attack will be made in. Many hth attacks are declared before a mech is in hth. The attacker is revealing his/her intention that his/her mech will first move to hth, then attack. As for the "Direct Fire Guy" question, white dice are anything dice. If you still have a direct fire weapon attachment, you may use the white 6 you rolled as your direct fire attack number.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks. So range is checked and wrong-range attacks are thrown out in step (g). It doesn't actually say that anywhere, but it seems like the right thing to do.

Also, I presume you can't spot a target at HtH range, but the HtH range check should be done analogously in phase (h).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Bull
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
Moderatly Limited Edition Rulebook wrote:
On A Mech's Go
a) Discard initiative die
b) Name your target. If you have an artillery weapon you can name a target at artillery range; if you have a direct fire weapon you can name a target at direct-fire range. You can name a target at hand-to-hand even if you've got no weapons at all - but of course you'll have to use a white die to follow through.
c) If you're spotting, name your spotting target. You can spot any mech in direct fire range.
d) Roll and assign your dice
e) place a defence die
f) resolve pending attack, if any
g) move/attack or attack/move
h) maybe place a spot die
i) maybe seize a station

For part (b) they mention ranges and attacks. We assume that the intent is to measure the ranges at that instant. That had the following game-breaking effects: hand-to-hand was vastly inferior to direct fire, because it will "fizzle" over half the time.

Here's how. Say I'm a HtH guy and I'm 4" from my target. I'd like to run up to it and bop it. But its currently at direct fire range, so I can't name it as a target. Oh well, I guess I'll just run up to HtH range and wait until next turn. Later that turn, that mech activates, and maybe it gets the bright idea to move at least 1" away from my HtH guy. Next turn, my HtH attack will once again be unable to name an in-range target.

You don't have to be in range to name a target. Vince has said as much on the Forge Forums, here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.