Subject: First Game this Thursday rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darcy Burgess
Canada
Oxford Mills
Ontario
flag msg tools
In theory, Struggle should be showing up at my house in time for this week's gaming session.

And, as it happens, it's my birthday this weekend, so I get to pick what game we play... Indeed, it will be Struggle (so long as the shipping gods look kindly on my).

Any suggestions on getting the game to go smoothly first time out? Any prep that I can do ahead of time to help with stuff? I've already read the rules here on the 'geek several times, so that's a non-issue.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:First Game this Thursday
eggo von eggo (#447946),

Get those who you will be playing with to also look at the rules beforehand. I try to stress this whenever we have a big game coming up.

It's tough to visualize the game without the components but having everyone have at least some familiarity with the rules will speed up the explanation time as well as make it more likely that any of the inevitable rules misinterpretations or fuzzy areas get caught before the game is going and you've invested two hours playing it wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. The first game I played, it took over 30 minutes to explain the rules, and at least 30 minutes during game play to re-explain rules. Four hours and two wars into a seven player game, we had to end it. If everyone reads the rules in advance, it will speed up the game considerably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eggo von eggo (#447946),

Make sure that there are player aids for everyone (at least photocopy the one in the box). The combat flowchart, setup aid, and other printouts from BGG can also help. The FAQ is long and also worth printing out as it includes many clarifications.

If playing time is an issue, you can drop a turn from each war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find my players never read rules, even on pain of death. They'll read the Quick Reference sheets handed to them during their turn's downtime, but that's it. They just want to show up, get the 10 minute rule overview, and then start playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Innovan (#448067),

You need new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get people to actually play this game even semi-rationally with a ten minute explanation, more power to you. I can't imagine it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get people to actually play this game even semi-rationally with a ten minute explanation

Teaching the game now I can probably hit the under 20 minute mark, but yes they still get all antsy with that "Let's play already" look.
This, from people who can debate Puerto Rico ├╝ber-strategy for weeks. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.