Subject: Campaign Rules. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In all games I play I love campaign modes. I enjoy single standalone missions as well but when it can be linked together through a campaign then that is what makes a game shine for me.

Recently Ive been thinking if SHDA can be played as a campaign. Part of me says no it cant because losses are too high. Inorder for a campaing to feel right I want to carry stuff over from mission to mission. Stuff in this case is marines. A win ratio of 1 to (what ?) 5 isnt really suited for a campaign.

SHDA is ballanced to be hard and challanging as a single mission game. Something it does really well. Inorder for a campaign to work the campaing has to be challanging on border of very difficult, not every mission because then you will never ever fullfil the campaing. So adjustments have to be made to shift the ballance from very hard missions to very hard campaign.

How could this be done? Well that is what Id like to itterate with someone and that is why Im posting here. But these are my basic ideas.

For each campaign you have all fire teams to your disposal and you decided which ones to deploy to which mission. A campaing could consist of 3 small hulks (6 Space Marine setup), 2 medium hulks (8 Space Marine setup) and 1 large hulk (10 Space Marine setup). You decided in which order to clear them. You draw the type 4 location face up at the start of the mission before assigning marines.You decided which and how many space marines to use for the mission.

A fire team that suffers casualties regains a space marine if it "rests" one mission. It can never regain a special ability marine. So if Zael is whiped then the replacement marine does not have a flamer.

A fire team that is to full strength and rests will start the next mission with a support token on one of its marines.

Something like this would introduce resource management into the game and make each mission easier. Is it too easy? Is it fun? Is it pointless?

Tomas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Jarvinen
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea; I love campaign types of games where different missions can be strung together to create a longer game experience.

The design of the game (number of marines, number of location cards, etc.) seems to lend itself quite well to a three 'session' solo game.

The Nostromo Campaign

Back Story (invent your own if you don't like this one)

Captain Dallas addresses his eager but young recruits:
"OK, men, our mission is knock out the two Brood Lords who have taken over the freighter Nostromo and decided to use it as their procreatic base. We need to locate and destroy these bugs to prevent any further incursion in this sector. Unfortunately, we don't know their exact position so two teams will be formed who will breach the Nostromo from two opposite sides near the forward deck. Should neither team find the brood lords in their assigned operations area, they will rendezvous in the mess hall and this new combined force will then work their way back to the engine room.

"We anticipate light resistance in the early stages so undoubtedly when the teams meet, this stronger and more unified group should have no problem taking down the two mothers of all bugs.

"Good luck and good hunting!"

Setup

First, create two teams of six Space Marines each (either randomly or by choice). (Obviously like 'colors' will stick together.)

Create three separate location decks at random (call them Loc Deck 1, Loc Deck 2, and Loc Dec 3) using the #2, #3, and #4 cards. The one exception is that Loc Dec 3 will contain the Location 4 card containing the Brood Lords.

Now run one team through Loc Dec 1, and then run your second team through Loc Deck 2.

All survivors (including any support tokens) now attempt to run through Loc Deck 3. If you successfully kill the two brood lords, you win the mini-campaign!

OK, this seems tough. Too bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kudos to you for the Alien references!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could consider just giving the space marines HP instead. Each marine can take 2 or 3 wounds rather than 1. The wounds carry over from mission to mission. The card that respawns a marine can be used to remove one wound marker or to respawn a dead space marine with 1 or 2 wound markers placed on them. This will allow the first missions to be easier since your marines won't be dying off so quick but as they start to get wounds and get killed the missions will get tougher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Car San
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djarv, its a great idea!! meeplemeeple

on weekend ill try to play...

thanks!! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.