Subject: why 2P games are not worth it. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for all those people who think that this game doesn't play well as a 2P game and therefore should not be purchased if played exclusively that way, please elaborate on your feelings why. any comments are appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scythe!
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this game is awesome with only 2 players and I purchased it to be played mostly that way. That having been said, I too am interested as to why "these people" feel it doesn't play well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game... 1 on 1 and I thought it went quite well. Actually, I think it plays better with 2 than with 3.

Although, my 2p game would have been MUCH better had I remembered the wining condition was THREE metropolises (motropoli?) rather than two.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Gold Canyon
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather . . . not screaming and yelling like the passengers on his bus
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus, in 2P you get to do twice as much stuff during your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I didn't enjoy the 2p as much as the 4p.

In our 2p games that I played, we spent many turns where we were able to stop the other player from winning, so the game dragged on.
In 4p, once you have two or more people on the verge of winning, the game comes to an end rather quickly as they can't all get blocked.

It seems a lot of people really enjoy this game 2p though, so your mileage may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
So far I've played this game exclusively 2-player. Maybe more players is better (have not tried yet) but it doesn't stop the 2-player game from being great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Incao
United States
Doylestown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JJWonderboy wrote:
So far I've played this game exclusively 2-player. Maybe more players is better (have not tried yet) but it doesn't stop the 2-player game from being great fun.

I completely agree... great game with 2... in fact... better than with 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Have only played this game two player and it is my favourite game. The whole thing is so easy to learn and the mechanics are uncomplicated yet it makes you think about what you want and how you go about getting it. It rewards thought and punishes people who just want to kick ass. The most important thing above all else is that my wife loves it and has quite joyfully beaten me on one occasion an only lost by having less gold than me on another as we both had three metropoliseseseses. Love this game to bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Nguyen
Australia
Bungarribee
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't enjoy it with 2 players. It wasn't completely terrible, and the game does play slightly differently than it would with 3+ (although I am also of the opinion that 'attacky' type games should be played with 4+ only), but there are so many better 2p games out there.

My opinion is that generally 'attacky' type games don't feel 100% right with 2 players. You need other players there to help you bring down whoever is coming first and for better interaction (making deals, ganging up etc).

I became stuck on one island early on in the game due to an attack gone wrong and some crazy combinations of monsters that my opponent brought out. It took me many turns to creep back into a position where I would be able to get the out of there and survive (although I took great satisfaction in denying him a quick victory through the deployment of monsters), however by that stage, he had managed to get out his third metropolis and I was still on the one island with one metropolis.

What does feel better in 2 players is having two actions. There are some sneaky things you can do to force your opponents out of desirable god powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dair Grant
United States
Martinsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just played my first 2p game last night. I had previously played with 3 and 4 (still waiting for 5p). I loved the 2p game. It is really for experienced players, as a new player would likely be dismantled in 2p. You have to very cognizant of the monsters available and often position of the gods plays a big role in bidding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lardinois

Dayton
Ohio
msg tools
mbmb
Hmmmmm, its good to hear quite a few people don't mind playing 2-player games of this. I had this game on my "to acquire" list because I love greek mythology but took it off believing it would only really work with 3 or more people (a majority of my board gaming is 2 player).

I just might have to put it back to the top of the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.