Subject: Getting started? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Sands
United States
Mountville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Just got this game but my wife and I are having trouble getting started -- can anyone direct me to a sample game that might have a typical first turn mapped out? I was hoping the rules might include a few sample turns but they do not....Much thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Getting started?
Ok.

Turn 1.
Event phase, you each draw one card from each of the two decks.
Fellowship phase, you pretty much wont want to do anything here on turn 1.
The shadow then decides how many dice to put in the hunt pool. You should be choosing from 1 or 2 here. Lets say they decide on 1.

Roll action dice: Lets say the FP player rolls their 4 dice and gets:

Will of the West, Character, Palantir, Muster

Shadow rolls their remaining 6 dice (after 1 into hunt pool) and gets: Eye, Muster, Muster/March, March, Character, Palantir. The eye result is placed in the pool, so there are 2 eyes in the hunt, and 5 action dice remaining to be used for the shadow.

Players now take turns alternating turns.

Free Peoples player: Passes. They can do this because their opponent has more dice left. Maybe they dont want to commit until they see what their opponent is doing.

Shadow player: Uses the muster die to push the Sauron nation to war.

FP: With 4 dice left for each, he cannot pass anymore. So he uses the Palantir to either play or draw a card. If playing a character card, draws another character card because gandalf is the guide of the fellowship, and a palantir was used to play the card. For example, lets say the fellowship player uses it to play 'Elven Cloaks'. This takes one of the '0' special hunt tiles and puts it aside, to go into the hunt tile bag once the fellowship enters mordor. The FP player then would draw a cahracter card (character cards have a sword icon on the back).

Shadow player: Uses the palantir die to play a card from hand. He plays Shadows on the Misty Mountains for example, recruiting 2 sauron elites and a nazgul in Moria. If he had no goo dcard to paly, he could draw a card wit the palantir.

FP: Uses the muster die to push Gondor one space closer to war. This way, once Osgiliath is attacked late,r Gondor can muster units, before Minas Tirith gets besieged.

Shadow: uses the army March die to begin moving the mordor units: Moves the 5 units and nazgul in Barad Dur to Gorgoroth, and moves the 5 units and Nazgul in Morannon to Dagorlad.

FP player: The FP player uses a character die to move the fellowship. The fellowship progress track market is pushed to 1. Then, the shadow rolls one die per eye in the hunt pool, in this case, 2 dice. 6's are needed. He rolls a 2 and a 4, a failure. Then, the FP character die is placed in the hunt box.

Shadow: Uses the muster die to bring the Witch King into play. This is possible because Sauron is at war. Places the witch king into the army in Gorgoroth (for example). He also takes the shadow die for the witch king, and places it with his used dice, to be rolled next turn. Bringing the witch king into play then activates all the free peoples nations (turns them to the colored/active side face up).

FP player: uses the Will of the West die (a wild result) to move the fellowship. The fellowship progress meter is moved to 2. Now, the shadow player again rolls 2 dice for the hunt. However, since there is a free poeples die in the hunt box (since this is the second move of the turn), the shadow gets +1 on all rolls ,and thus needs to roll 5s or better to be successful. The shadow player rolls a 3 and a 5. A success! Because at least one success was rolled, one hunt tile is drawn (its always one tile drawn). The tile is a 2+reveal tile. The Free peoples player decides in what way to take the corruption damage. He decides to kill off the guide of the fellowship (Gandalf). Gandalf prevents up to 3 damage, in this case preventing it all. Strider becomes the new guide. Then, the reveal occurs. The FP player moves the location of the last known position of the fellowship two spaces, since the progress meter was at 2. There are two choices: Move down to Hollin, to go through Moria, or move to the High Pass, and then take that route, later going through the Old Forest Road. The FP player decides to go to the High Pass, to avoid the dangers of Moria later on. The fellowship marker is moved 2 spaces, and the hidden/revealed icon is flipped to the 'revealed' side.

Shadow: Uses the last die, a character action, to move the nazgul (and witch king). He places one nazgul on the position of the last known position of the fellowship, and one on each of the next two spaces along the path. This will provide rerolls in the hunt, later on. (One reroll of one die for having any number of nazgul in the space with the fellowship). he can move the other nazgul as desired. If the mouth of sauron was in play, it could also move.

Turn 2:

Event phase: both players draw a card from each deck.
Fellowship phase: it is not helpful for the FP player to declare now (it wouldnt do anything in this case), and strider must be the guid,e so nothing happens.
The shadow player now chooses how many dice to put in the hunt. He chooses one, as the fellowship is revealed right now and was to first hide before moving, so chances of moving are less. Otherwise, I'd probably recommend two.
Players roll action dice:

FP: Will of the West, Character, Muster/March, Muster

Shadow: Eye, Muster, Muster/March, March, March, Character, Palantir. The eye is placed in the pool.

FP: The FP player uses a muster die to hide the fellowship, using Strider's guide ability. He wants to do this first thing, so that the shadow cant play an event card which requires the fellowship to be revealed to play.

Shadow: Uses a palantir to play 'Isildur's Bane'. this card can only be played if the last known position of the fellowship is not in an FP settlement (which it isnt). He draws a hunt tile for the card. Its a 1. Isildur's bane says that any damage must be taken as corruption. The corruption marker is moved to 1 on the corruption track. If the tile had had a reveal icon, it would have applied and revealed the fellowship. If the tile was an eye, it would have no effect, because the card says so.

FP: Uses the Will of the West die to bring Gandalf the White into play. The FP can bring out GtW because gandalf the grey is either dead or separated, AND the shadow player has one of his three minions in play. Gandalf the White enters play in Fangorn or and Elven stronghold. The FP player chooses to put him in Fangorn forest, which is south of Lorien. The FP player then takes an FP action die from the supply, and puts it with his used dice. He now rolls 5 dice a turn.

Shadow: Uses the muster die to bring the Isengard antion to War.

FP: passes.

Shadow: uses a muster/march die to bring Saruman into play. He takes another shadow die from the supply, into his used dice pile, to be rolled next turn (now, having 9 dice a turn).

FP: passes.

Shadow: Uses the march die to move the army in Minas Morgul to North Ithilian, and the army in Gorgoroth to Minas Morgul.

FP: Uses the character die to move the fellowship. The fellowship progress counter is moved to 1 on the progress track. The shadow player rolls two dice (two eyes in the hunt box), and gets a 1 and a 4. Then, the shadow player rerolls one failure result, due to having nazgul in the space with the fellowship. This is a 3, still a failure. No hunt tile is drawn.

Shadow: Uses the march die to move the army in Dagorlad to North Ithilian, forming an army of 10, and to move the army in Minas Morgul to South Ithilian. He decides to leave one regular unit in Minas Morgul as defense, bringing 7 units with him. The witch king is in this army.

FP: Uses a Palantir die to play "I will go alone". This separates off a companion or group of companions, and then heals a corruption point. The FP player separates strider, and moves him a number of spaces equal to his level (3) + the current progress of the fellowship (1). He moves 4 spaces, through Goblins Gate/Old Ford/Dimrill Dale/Patch Celebrant. He is on his way down to Minas Tirith. Then, the corruption marker is moved back to 0.

Shadow: The shadow player has a character die left, and uses it to launch an attack with an army containing a leader, in this case, the army with the witch king, against Osgiliath. He has the witch king an 2 other nazgul in this army, because he moved the others there last turn. This has several effects:

1) If gondor wasnt activated, they would be, but they are.
2) Gondor is moved down one space on the track, to the At War box.
3) Both players choose wether to play a card in combat. The shadow player (attacker) announces they will, the defender decides not to this time. The cards are revealed. The shadow player played a card that requires nazgul in the battle and reduces total leadership by 1, but gives +1 on all rolls in the leader reroll. Then, because the witch king is in the battle, and the shadow player palyed a card during the first round of the battle, the shadow player draws a card off a deck of their choice.
4) Both sides roll dice equal to the number of units, mazimum 5 dice (always a maximum of 5 dice in any roll, ever). FP player rolls 2 dice: 5 and 3. One hit!
Shadow player rolls 5 dice, but needs a 6 to hit. 2,2,3,5,5, no hits. Then, its the leader reroll. The FP has no leaders. The shadow has the witch king for 2 leadership, plus 2 nazgul is 4. But their card reduces leadership by 1, leaving 3. He rolls 3 dice. 3,4,5. This is one hit, because the card gave +1 to hit on the leader reroll, and so the 5 is a hit. (5+1 = 6, the result needed to hit against an enemy in a fortification, during round 1 of combat).
5) Casualties. The PF takes one casualty, the shadow takes one.
6) The attacker decides to press the attack.
7) The defender decides to retreat. He moves the remaining unit to Pelargir. The attacker then moves his units into Osgiliath.

This is the end of turn 2. Next turn, the shadow player puts 2 hunt dice in the box and rolls 7. The FP rolls 5. The FP uses his very first turn to use a muster die to recruit an Elite unit in Minas Tirith. It is important to do this before the shadow beseiges it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Jarvinen
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog (#448109),

Very nice, Alex, I'm sure many players starting out will find this helpful.

Did you ever start (finish?) your page you were going to make on WotR? That post seems like a very reasonable candidate to go in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harris
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gortman (#448022),

Holy Cow! That is a great guide! I am in a similar situation with the wife (armies are seperated, rules have been read through twice, but I still have not played :-).

Thanks again!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Foster
Australia
Unspecified
Victoria
flag msg tools
mb
Hallow (#448275),

I'm STILL painting !!
crycryangryangrysobluesoblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skidmarks wrote:
Hallow (#448275),

I'm STILL painting !!
crycryangryangrysobluesoblue

Big mistake.

4-5 hours worth of coloring the bases and leader flags with paint pens, and they are distinguishable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog (#449035),

5 minutes of labeling sandwich bags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits (#449104),

I tried that, and people were still grabbing the wrong guys all the time. And putting it away...yikes!

But I guess if you only play the game a few times, then its not worth the time to color the bases. I think I've gotten my time back from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dworkin
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog (#449606),

We found that a simple, single-colour-per-army, paint job reduced set-up time to under ten minutes, and elminates the need for any sorting when we take down the game.

The time invested was low (and fun):

1) a ten minute swing by the paint aisle in the hardware store to pick up seven spray-cans of Krylon Fusion paint for plastics, plus

2) 2+ hours to spray point seven of the eight armies. It went very quickly and smoothly with the pieces set on masking tape on a newspaper, and a cereal box behind them to make sure we didn't also paint the wall and floor. Just line up the pieces in two-or-three rows of twenty-or-so units and spray the right sides, then walk to other side of table, shift the cereal box and spray the left sides. A slight swing in angle covers most of the front and back of each unit from right side, and repeating it from left gives a complete look.

Two minutes while one person shook the paint-can with the next colour was plenty of time for the other of us to move the newspapers with drying units to the far end of our dining table so we could spray the next army with a new colour.

Everything dried to the point of being able to handle it during the time it took us to get sandwiches for lunch.

We are definately NOT painting experts -- more in the camp that admires, but would never emulate, the real detail-painters -- but this was very simple and the results have been pleasing on two counts:

1) the bright clash of colours when we play and
2) the ease of set-up and take-down (such an improvement that it has probably doubled our playing occasions).

Have to admit I owe my wife and daughter a HUGE thank-you for buying the paint cans and encouraging/helping me to do this.. it turned out to be a great low-effort/high-value idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dworkin
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog (#449606),

We found that a simple, single-colour-per-army, paint job reduced set-up time to under ten minutes, and elminates the need for any sorting when we take down the game.

The time invested was low (and fun):

1) a ten minute swing by the paint aisle in the hardware store to pick up seven spray-cans of Krylon Fusion paint for plastics, plus

2) 2+ hours to spray point seven of the eight armies. It went very quickly and smoothly with the pieces set on masking tape on a newspaper, and a cereal box behind them to make sure we didn't also paint the wall and floor. Just line up the pieces in two-or-three rows of twenty-or-so units and spray the right sides, then walk to other side of table, shift the cereal box and spray the left sides. A slight swing in angle covers most of the front and back of each unit from right side, and repeating it from left gives a complete look.

Two minutes while one person shook the paint-can with the next colour was plenty of time for the other of us to move the newspapers with drying units to the far end of our dining table so we could spray the next army with a new colour.

Everything dried to the point of being able to handle it during the time it took us to get sandwiches for lunch.

We are definately NOT painting experts -- more in the camp that admires, but would never emulate, the real detail-painters -- but this was very simple and the results have been pleasing on two counts:

1) the bright clash of colours when we play and
2) the ease of set-up and take-down (such an improvement that it has probably doubled our playing occasions).

Have to admit I owe my wife and daughter a HUGE thank-you for buying the paint cans and encouraging/helping me to do this.. it turned out to be a great low-effort/high-value idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DALLAS KELSEY
United States
ROYAL OAK
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gortman (#448022),

At the risk of self-promoting, I would also recommend you each print off a double-sided copy of my Turn Summary, as it has helped us get many new players up and running quickly. It summarizes--essentially--what the options are at every turn of the game (or it tries to, anyway), including what limitations and requirements exist for mustering, moving, navigating the Fellowship, etc.:

http://www.bggfiles.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=9441

As you are just getting started, I would appreciate knowing how helpful you find this as someone who hasn't played before. I basically made this out of the wishes that I had something similar to help me get started initially--I want to know if I was even somewhat successful.

Thanks...and good luck.

P.S. If your wife is willing to play this one, you're one of the lucky few, I have to think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Sands
United States
Mountville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Alexfrog (#448109),

THANKS! That really has given me quite a lot to think about for the first few moves. There are so many possible strategies that it is nice to see one approach mapped out like this. We continued the game and found the SP won (even tho I still think we are doing a few things wrong). Early use of the Witch-king seems like a good way to go!

-Gortman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.