♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
I tend to put the dot on the side with the card face. What about the rest of you who use them?

Poll
Which side of the card gets the dot?
Card face
Card back
      128 answers
Poll created by Verkisto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the cards. If it's vital to the deck, I'll put the spot on the back. This means I can see when the power cards are on the top. This advance gameplay technique(a.k.a. 'cheating') has won me over $100,000 in the past 10 years at MtG tourneys.

The above is almost true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As has been mentioned, it can be used for cheating. I have seen Star Wars CCG players put them on the back, where depending on the orientation of the card before it went into the slot it would appear on the "top left" or "bottom right" spot of the card's backing design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Card face - the back of the sleeve is opaque
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Those dots used to wear, and for that reason I put them on the face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If possible, I put the dot on the card face, unless it obscures some important game information. These days, I tend toward Mayday Games or Fantasy Flight Games sleeves because it's easier to find clear plastic sleeves and their sleeves come in multiple sizes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the purpose of the dot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Milner
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
To prove it is a genuine 0.05 cent value piece of 40 micron plastic, not a cheap imitation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
heifetz wrote:
I have used ultra pro sleeves a lot and I'm having a hard time seeing any other way to put the card in the sleeve where the front of the card is facing the clear section making the dot always on the card face.

Ah, I didn't think about sleeves with opaque backs. I've bought so many clear ones that I forgot about the others.

Do CCG tournaments have any requirements about the sleeves? I would bet that they require the dots to be on the card face to prevent the possibility of using them to cheat. Can anyone confirm that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
heifetz wrote:
I have used ultra pro sleeves a lot and I'm having a hard time seeing any other way to put the card in the sleeve where the front of the card is facing the clear section making the dot always on the card face.

Ah, I didn't think about sleeves with opaque backs. I've bought so many clear ones that I forgot about the others.

Do CCG tournaments have any requirements about the sleeves? I would bet that they require the dots to be on the card face to prevent the possibility of using them to cheat. Can anyone confirm that?

In MtG they do, but it's up to the judge. You can challenge an opponents deck for any reason and the judge makes the call.

Generally dots on the backs, which as I said wear, would make them potentially marked cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loyd Fox
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They obviously go on the face, the dots aren't always in the same place. Also if you get the colored back sleeves then the dots have to go on the face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually put them face up,
but I sleeve my cards upside-down so that the dot is on the upper-left instead of the lower-right.
Too much info on the bottom-right for the games I play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking for the answer, but it turns out the poll is a dead heat at 50/50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.