Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lowell Drake
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Memoir 44 or Battlelore, but I'd like to buy one of them for my grandson for Christmas - he is just now 10 years old. Some of you who are familiar with both games, can you give a bit of advice? It looks as though Memoir 44 is a bit easier, but I think a 10 year old would really like the orcs and goblins of Battlelore. He's a smart kid, so he should be able to pick up a game system that's not too complicated. Any opinions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd agree with your assessment: Memoir is easier, but BattleLore might be "cooler". The problem with BattleLore is finding it and also finding some of the expansions. If you decide on BattleLore, I'd definitely recommend purchasing the game as soon as you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does he tend to like things because they look cool or because of how they play? I have Memoir 44 and I like it a lot. It is easy, but you still need to do some thinking. Because Memoir 44 and Battlelore use the same combat system and was created by the same designer, I will definitely end up getting Battlelore in the future. From what I've read, it's similar to Memoir 44 but with a few more added rules. In my opinion, if he likes WWII army guys, get him Memoir 44. If he likes that game, then you can get him Battlelore later. That way he can learn the basics of the game and then he would just need to learn the added ones from Battlelore. Also, who would be playing these games with him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both, and teach 5th graders. I run a middle school Historical Gaming Club. The "Borg system" is a very nice one that is adaptable to a whole host of eras of time, including fantasy.

Having started using his system with Battle Cry, and moved right along to Memoir, Ancients and BattleLore, (along with the upcoming Napoleonics game), I have found them all to fun light games.

Of these, however, Battle Lore has the most extensive rule set. For me, I found that I wasn't so interested in how the Giant Spider would interact with charging the line of bowmen. (History is my preference). A ten-year-old is going to like that aspect, yet he will also like Panzers rumbling down the road moving along through the woods to blast the artillery out of the town's defense!

The question I would ask for yourself, is what do YOU want to play? You are the one who will be wading through 50+ pages of rules with Battle Lore, or 12 with Memoir.

BL's cards are graphically stunning. Tough choices. What does your son say?

Cheers,

Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask him:

"do you prefer tanks or orcs?"

myself, i would go with the one with the smallwst rules. That way he can teach his mates.

Equally being there to teach him the game is pretty special.

You sound like a great grandad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with Liam on this:
monkeyhandz wrote:
Ask him:

"do you prefer tanks or orcs?"

myself, i would go with the one with the smallwst rules. That way he can teach his mates.

Equally being there to teach him the game is pretty special.

You sound like a great grandad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Henry Thripshaw
United States
Pacific NW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just chime in and say my 9 year old loves Memoir'44. However, I play ASL and he likes to look at all the maps and has been introduced to basic World War II history. As far as the gameplay, it's pretty simple and should pose no issue whatsoever.

My son also loves Heroes of Might and Magic and Age of Wonder turn based fantasy role-playing games as well and would probably love Battlelore but I haven't found it.

I agree with the others that if both are readily available to you, ask him which he prefers. There's nothing so powerful to a young person that the feeling of power and control that comes with choice. You know they are both good games and similar, so let him decide. It will make it more memorable for him surely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a teacher, my vote would have to land solidly behind Memoir '44!

Like Will Green said, your grandson will probably like the interaction of monsters against medieval troops (it will appeal to his imagination) but he'll also like Tanks and troops maneuvering around a battle field. As a teacher I would prefer to see a 10 year old learning about the very real history of World War II, something that Memoir '44 does a great job of including with the Historical Background provided with each battle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan of both games, but:

1. Battlelore is more difficult to learn (the ruleset is more complicated)
2. Battlelore takes longer to set up (greater variety of figures)
3. Battlelore (the base game) is OOP... and, for what you get, Memoir '44 expansions have packed more bang for your buck.

So, Memoir '44 it is.

BTW, my son plays both of them... but he's grown up in a gamer house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Condotta
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How patient is the boy? Battlelore can be rather slow moving compared to Memoir 44. In BL, you want to keep your groups together and you end up moving them slowly across the board, until you engage in a melee. Range weapons (bows) are not so effective in this game (IMHO). M44 has a much quicker pace, making the game more exciting to me.

I had a copy of M44 and I gave my son (in his mid teens now) Battlelore when it first came out. When playing with his friends, they must have pulled out M44 five times more often then Battlelore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Drake
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Great response; I appreciate all your comments. After all the advice, the majority opinion is for M44, and I know he'll enjoy it. Thanks to everyone who commented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.