War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Any Expansion News? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

NT. Hong Kong
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Anxious to know. It's been so long after the release..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Any Expansion News?
I'm testing it.

Cant say anything. Really want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Michaud
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Alexfrog (#448360),

Do you think it's worth it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Owen
United Kingdom
Appleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Silmarillion (#448769),
I don't think it will be giving too much away to say that we are testing new combinations of characters, cards, units, rules and scenarios for balance, interest and fun. Will let you know more in six months or so!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

NT. Hong Kong
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
casterlyrock (#448355),

Well, good to hear the word "testing it". But, pls do it fast!!

I want more Moria! Balrog! Characters stuff.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casterlyrock wrote:
I want more Moria! Balrog! Characters stuff.....

I think you'll be satisfied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Olsson
Sweden
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
SevenSpirits (#450502),

Any preliminary releasedate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fox
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arato (#450615),
yes I cannot wait to see some new bits for this game. Awesome!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DALLAS KELSEY
United States
ROYAL OAK
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Canadian Pittbull (#451276),

I predict fall of '06.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Michaud
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
SalladDazed (#452465),

Fall 2006???? It's not fall 2005?

cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Michaud
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
SevenSpirits (#450502),

Ents would be very nice too. It would be great to raise an Ent army in Fangorn to attack Isengard instead of having only to play the cards.

Eomer, Eowyn, Theoden, Faramir, Lurtz, Bombadil, Wormtongue, Shelob, Elrond, Galadriel, Army of the dead and the creature in water at the gates of Moria (I don't remember his name) would be a nice addition.

What about eagles which could be called by Gandalf?

Catapult, trebuchet, siege towers, ram, grond, ladders (not all would be necessary) will add some fun during stronghold sieges.

Minas Tirith could begin with Denethor miniature (or would be added after Shadow player played a specific event card) which negates all Gondor leaders ability. The caracter will last until one companion reaches Minas Tirith.

Lurtz could be another Shadow minion (less powerful however).

Faramir should begin in Osgiliath.

Shelob could make some penalties or damages if the fellowship is declared or revealed in Minas Morgul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Racah
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thankfully, the game is based on the books, not the movies, so we're not going to have a Lurtz...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Nepitello
Italy
Venezia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Silmarillion wrote:
SalladDazed (#452465),
Fall 2006???? It's not fall 2005?
cry

The release date we're looking for is October/November 2005. As always, the international dates will differ slightly from country to country.

Francesco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Battle
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
Silmarillion (#452589),
I'd rather see more scenarios - wars from earlier ages, variant starting positions, etc. In theory, with just a new deck of cards and a few rule adjustments, you could have almost a new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dworkin
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Francesco Nepitello (#452861),

At riskof tellign an expert what you already know --

The temptation with expansions is, of course, to slide (step-by-step) into greater and greater complexity. This pleases aficianados and the high mental cost is not immediatly apparent to those who have already mastered/internalized the pre-existing rules. However, it actually has a cost in accessibility to most players and tends to make replay more and more demanding (and less frequent).

One extreme example is World in Flames, where a strong clean initial design eventually gained so much complexity that its range of players narrowed greatly.

The counter-example, would be EastFront. Its initial design was great, but complex. When the developers saw the reactions of newcomers, they delayed release for seven months and vastly simplified the game, eliminating dozens of tactical details and allowing the operational focus and strategic insights to shine forth far more clearly. The result had three benefits:
1) accessibility to more players,
2) more replay by players, and
3) a 'see the forest, despite the trees' triumph that truly enlightened strategic understanding of what happened and could have happened in Russia between June of 1941 and May of 1945.

Obviously, neither example is directly applicable to War of the Rings; but each does offer some lessons, I believe. Thus, I'd plead for 'a constant recurrence to fundamentals', a respect for simplicity, a search for clean design, etc. etc. There is great strength to to the current design, and great replay value -- it would be nice to know that future designs focussed more on interesting SITUATIONS, than on more complex rules.

(MHD steps off soap-box ......for a while.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, which new minis will be in the expansion has already been decided... so no use making suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits (#453669),
fortunately many of the suggestions are quite in line with what we will do - of course we just can't do so much as somebody wants, still there will be about 10 new sculpts in the expansion set.
So you may start to guess WHICH 10...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Nepitello
Italy
Venezia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MHDworkin wrote:
Francesco Nepitello (#452861),
The temptation with expansions is, of course, to slide (step-by-step) into greater and greater complexity.

We are aware of the risk of making the game less accessible with new rules, and we're trying to develop new elements that blend well with the existing mechanics.

BTW, expansions are by their nature aimed to expert players, able to appreciate new options even if they come at a price in terms of simplicity. Our job as designers is to keep that price reasonably low.

Francesco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Michaud
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
cybernex (#453783),

I just can't wait! It seems to be really nice since you've made a great work with that game so far.

By the way, do you intend to make a boardgame related to the Silmarillion? I know the license is unavailable yet but do you think it may be possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
casterlyrock (#448355),
New elements are working seamlessly with the original. We are enjoying our revised gaming experiences. Several elements you will, I believe, very much appreciate. One of these will impact battle sequences. No specifics are allowed. Sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sander van de ven
Netherlands
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Maybe another battle system....something like Shogun or Axis&Allies where different units have different strenghts and uses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.