Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
Meaning really good, not just written on the box
;)
Thx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure you'll get lots of feedback on this when all the sold copies make it to the gamers, but I can tell you that the two-player game is not "just written on the box"

With two players you use the unplayed dice to cover/occupy several specific docking ports. This limits the availability of key facilities, just like there were more players involved in the game.

Also, with two players, each player has 8 colony tokens to land on the planet. Since there are only 8 territories you are guaranteed to be knocking heads in short order as you try to take and keep control of your favorite territories.

Creating a tight game at all player numbers was our goal and I think you'll find that the competition between you and your opponent remains tight even in a two player game of Alien Frontiers.

But, I'm biased...other people will need to chime in and post their own opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Smurdon
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! It's really fun two players. Actually it's pretty evil. I thought my wife was going to kill me by the end of the game. I want to play it again two player and then play it with 3 or 4. Hopefully I can write up a two player review this weekend. So far this is one of my favorite games this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mckane
Australia
SYDNEY
N.S.W
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Why can't BGG admin lock all of the Alien Frontiers threads until my copy arrives, the anticipation is just too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing once with 2 and 3 players, I found it is just as tight and competitive with 2 as with 3. Though the element of stealing goods and denying bonuses from the player in the lead in order to keep things even is removed. This isn't a big issue because even if you appear to be behind, you can pull off a clever turn and take the lead and the win - that's how my 2-player game went. However, both were more fun than most games I've played with any number of players. I will be sure to cover this in the video review I'm filming this weekend, and compare it to related games that do not account for such things, such as Pillars of the Earth or Settlers of Catan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
smurdy wrote:
Yes! It's really fun two players. Actually it's pretty evil. I thought my wife was going to kill me by the end of the game.

That sounds eerily like the game I just played. And just about every turn I had plans thwarted by my wife's dice placement. Can't comment on 3 & 4 players, but 2 players is a lot more cutthroat than I expected. I think my wife will like it more when I take less than 15 minutes each turn to understand that I JUST won't be able to do what I want because there's no way for me to get the ore I need without committing the dice I want to build colonies with...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
seems pretty okay from where we already stand but I'll wait for two or three more replies until I get really excited about buying it for my wife and I ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always am questionable on playing games such as this with 2 players. Well my buddy whom is only free weeknights last night came over once I told him I got it and he was surprised I got a copy (I've never seen him get over here so fast he lives 20 min away so did not take him that long to get here).

Anyways, it is evil...and plays quite well with 2. I was quite in the lead at one point which he then stole all my ore and a fuel, managed to plasma cannon my ships (2 of em, nuke with a plasma canon then take one from alien artifact and nuke another) then swap positions with some territories so I lose control, remove my bonus vp from a territory (the P token...) and take a new one quickly closing the gap. So next turn I build a new ship and use all my ships trying to do so, he cycled the alien tech cards since we had just reshuffled and found another plasma canon nuking another ship!!!?@!?@#$!@!@$@#%@#$@# so I gave in and just powered throug my last 2 colonies to end it and won by a measily 2 points vs the 10 I was winning by and if I hadn't done that on that last turn he woulda had me the turna after.

So yes there's actually an insane amount of interactivity with just 2 players and as a previous post said...a good chance your opponent may put a hit out on you :-D I love this game so much so SO much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game tonight with my son, two players, and we both enjoyed it. The preset dice lock off a fair about of the playing area so there's still a lot of blocking, and there's very little downtime too with only two.

The only part that confused me was that was a minor inconsistency between the dots on the board and the explanation in the rules -- in several places dots only marked off half of an "=" pair, which was a little weird, although the rulebook explicitly said to fill both halves.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.