United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
/geeklist/240879
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
I typically don't use my full name in my profile as this is what displays by my avatar. Also, the location of where I live versus where I want to receive shipments is different.

Normally, I keep the information in my profile of where I live and the name I want displayed. However, when I go to purchase something through the marketplace, I have to update the profile directly to give the proper shipping address OR I have to send a separate geek mail which tends to be more confusing - therefore I usually just update my profile to list the correct information then change it back again afterwards.

This is really a pain.

My suggestion: Either have a 'personal' profile and a 'marketplace' profile to keep them separate OR at least allow the shipping information to be updated during the checkout process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You can create as many profiles as you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
/geeklist/240879
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mooninite wrote:

Assuming you don't mean a new account, I think I need a pointer, please....I should be more specific myself and note that I'm referring to User Details (which doesn't seem to have such a function) and in the Marketplace I don't see anything additional there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mooninite wrote:

Do tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I agree this should be added (among many other requested features) to the long time coming marketplace upgrade. You are able to modify/update shipping info when doing a trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Yeah - marketplace really needs an overhaul. Weird that this is the first time that this issue has come up in 9 years
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
tasajara wrote:
therefore I usually just update my profile to list the correct information then change it back again afterwards.

I did this on an early Marketplace transaction; changed my profile to include my real name, which displayed above my avatar briefly, and then I changed it back. Since then, I realized I could just update my name/address in the box in the transaction listing during a Marketplace purchase or a trade, without changing my profile or changing it back. It's an extra second of typing, but considering all the posting I do on here over the course of a day, I don't think I can blame my blisters on that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
/geeklist/240879
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
tasajara wrote:
therefore I usually just update my profile to list the correct information then change it back again afterwards.

I did this on an early Marketplace transaction; changed my profile to include my real name, which displayed above my avatar briefly, and then I changed it back. Since then, I realized I could just update my name/address in the box in the transaction listing during a Marketplace purchase or a trade, without changing my profile or changing it back. It's an extra second of typing, but considering all the posting I do on here over the course of a day, I don't think I can blame my blisters on that

Good point. I'll try that method next time instead. I might then even pull my detailed address information in my profile (just leave the city/state/zip) so that there isn't any confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
/geeklist/240879
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Yeah - marketplace really needs an overhaul. Weird that this is the first time that this issue has come up in 9 years

Sometimes we geeks just find a workaround and don't bother to report it.....

I didn't want to say that about the marketplace needing an overhaul in general, but that's really where this is leading whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
/geeklist/240879
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kneumann wrote:
I agree this should be added (among many other requested features) to the long time coming marketplace upgrade. You are able to modify/update shipping info when doing a trade.

Hmm, I didn't notice that you could - perhaps I should buy something else so that I can look closer

EDIT: I just tried again (just skipped clicking SUBMIT ORDER on the last step) and the only way to change the address information is to 'update your profile' which is what I'm trying to avoid doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually end up sending a GM and making a note in the paypal transaction about my shipping address. Marketplace transactions tend to be Geekmail heavy. I've also had hard times where the other party mis-typed my email address, so we never quite figured out how to process it through the marketplace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge

tasajara wrote:
EDIT: I just tried again (just skipped clicking SUBMIT ORDER on the last step) and the only way to change the address information is to 'update your profile' which is what I'm trying to avoid doing.
Only when TRADING a game with the BGG Trade Manager can you do this. It is oddly not available when buying from the marketplace.

Also, for anyone interested in other suggested marketplace improvements, I listed several here (from 2 years ago): Ideas for BGG Marketplace improvements.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to have a "trade profile" that shows up before someone suggests a trade with me. That would prevent a lot of misunderstandings, and possibly overall reduce the number of trade offers that simply go unanswered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The paypal payment slip should have the correct shipping address !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
/geeklist/240879
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but the seller needs the address before they can calculate shipping costs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
tasajara wrote:
Yes, but the seller needs the address before they can calculate shipping costs...

-----------------------------------------
Hi

i do not need to know in advance your address to establish a postage price
examp.
Monopoly weight 0.6 kgs ;
shipping to uk £ 3
europe £ 6
World £ 7

Wait a second..maybe in USA works differently, i mean shipping from NY to Florida cost less than from NY to Alaska or Honolulu..??!!
cheers Nello

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
NY to Ohio costs less than NY to California - distance makes a difference, unless you're using first class mail, media mail, or flat rate Priority boxes. In general, you're going to use Parcel Post, or sometimes Priority, where distance matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.