Lyman Hurd
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My sister, the social work professor, is a great fan of Zoo Tycoon 2 partially due to love of simulations and partially due to loving animals. She has just informed me that she has finished all the zoo challenges and since she recently had a birthday I thought I would look for plausible successor games to get her hooked on. Lengthy times are not usually a problem as it is just her and two cats who seldom hog the computer.

Thanks for any ideas!

Lyman
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I have been (and am) a RollerCoaster Tycoon addict. The first one, with the two expansion packs, have kept me busy off and on for over 5 years, but I can't say the same of RCT2. I haven't even played RCT3, but it's likely more of the same.

If she likes amusement parks, recommend this one. I think the original game, packaged with its two expansions, can be found on the $9.99 bargain racks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, Rollercoaster Tycoon is excellent! I played many many hours of this back when it first came out. Only two other games took more of my time: Civilization, and Angband.

The best part is that the people in your themepark actually ENJOY being there, unlike those unhappy complaining jerks who live in SimCity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and the ones that want to go home, can be picked up and dropped in a lake to drown. That's what they get for trying to leave your park. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I've never played it, but like said before, Rollercoaster Tycoon seems to be the king of the Tycoon games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
SHould we assume she has tried the SIMS series? If not, they've got a lot of products out there which might be up her alley.
Personally, I never found a funner sim than "Theme Hospital."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is the game for you. It is the best game ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyman Hurd
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you to everyone who contributed. She does not own the Sims although I think she may have played it at my house (my daughter used to play it). She used to enjoy RCT (I believe version 1). The Amazon reviews of RCT 3 were less than stellar.

I have been considering Alpha Centauri especially as a part of the Laptop Collection (including this, its expansion and several more games for one price).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That collection is a great deal. The alien crossfire expansion adds to the game quite a bit and is difficult to find elsewere.

Alpha Centauri Tells the story of what happens to the space ship that escapes the planet earth at the end of Civ 2, it's not labeled as a Civ game because Sid broke from Interplay (or whoever) and formed his own company. I have been playing it for almost 7 years off and on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.