Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
From section 18.2:
Quote:
Gun pit emplacements add a blue frontal +3DM, no flank DM, and may be used by anti-tank guns, infantry guns, and artillery guns.

I assume there is an implied 'also' after 'may', to be inclusive of infantry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pastabatman wrote:
From section 18.2:
Quote:
Gun pit emplacements add a blue frontal +3DM, no flank DM, and may be used by anti-tank guns, infantry guns, and artillery guns.

I assume there is an implied 'also' after 'may', to be inclusive of infantry.

Since infantry does not have blue frontal DM, the gun pit wouldn't provide any help to them anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Felkor wrote:
Since infantry does not have blue frontal DM, the gun pit wouldn't provide any help to them anyway.

Why not? I assumed it would give them a blue frontal DM of 2 where they had none before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pastabatman wrote:
Felkor wrote:

Why not? I assumed it would give them a blue frontal DM of 2 where they had none before.

Nope. That would make it pretty crummy, too. That would mean they'd have a blue "2" defense, which would be easy to take out by any unit with a blue firepower. But no, units only have one colour of front defense and one colour of flank defense, and modifiers only affect it if they match the colour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Helgeson
United States
Mckinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think James' point is that they don't have a blue defense value, only a red one. Therefore they are attacked using red attack values thus a Blue DM would not affect them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Felkor wrote:
But no, units only have one colour of front defense and one colour of flank defense, and modifiers only affect it if they match the colour.

You are right, of course. I see now the shield would have been black if also applicable to infantry, like the frontal DM values on the bunker counters. Still, crummy or not, I don't see a thematic reason why a gun pit wouldn't give infantry some protection. But I concede it's a moot point for gameplay. But looking at the bunker counter now, I see that, although it's front/top DM is black, it's flank shield is red? I guess those bunker flank walls were pretty thin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
pastabatman wrote:
Felkor wrote:
But no, units only have one colour of front defense and one colour of flank defense, and modifiers only affect it if they match the colour.

You are right, of course. I see now the shield would have been black if also applicable to infantry, like the frontal DM values on the bunker counters. Still, crummy or not, I don't see a thematic reason why a gun pit wouldn't give infantry some protection. But I concede it's a moot point for gameplay. But looking at the bunker counter now, I see that, although it's front/top DM is black, it's flank shield is red? I guess those bunker flank walls were pretty thin.

I guess that gun pits don't protect infantry because they are too small to allow squads to deploy in fighting formation inside them. They are built to protect a gun and its small crew clustered around their field piece after all.

Bunkers can be occupied by all foot units including guns, but not by vehicles. Guns have blue front defence and red flank defence. So the bunker's front defence is black for guns' blue defence value and red for infantry and guns' red defence value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
JMcL63 wrote:
Bunkers can be occupied by all foot units including guns, but not by vehicles. Guns have blue front defence and red flank defence. So the bunker's front defence is black for guns' blue defence value and red for infantry and guns' red defence value.

Not sure I follow. Black means it applies to both blue and red. From the rulebook:
Quote:
Bunkers have a black front defense rating which adds DMs against both blue and red direct frontal FP and all mortar/ artillery fire. The smaller secondary shield defense value is the bunker DM added to a unit’s defense for any direct fire (not mortar and artillery fire) originating from the bunker’s flank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
pastabatman wrote:
JMcL63 wrote:

Not sure I follow. Black means it applies to both blue and red. From the rulebook:
Quote:
Bunkers have a black front defense rating which adds DMs against both blue and red direct frontal FP and all mortar/ artillery fire. The smaller secondary shield defense value is the bunker DM added to a unit’s defense for any direct fire (not mortar and artillery fire) originating from the bunker’s flank.

In reply to your comment about the bunker's flank shield being red I was trying to point out that the units which can occupy bunkers- infantry and guns, all have red Flank DRs. The black front DM is there because guns have a blue Front DR. I hope that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.