Space Hulk (third edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Multiplayer Variant/ Chapter Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
Since most of the time we have more than 2 players at hand, we developed a multiplayer variant, which imo works surprisingly well (at least with our custom scenarios):

- Every additional player commands a squad of 5 Terminators.

- If the Marine-Players agree, the turnorder between them can change every round. Every Marine-Player has to take his turn before the turn comes to the GS-Player.

- Each marine player commands his whole squad in his turn.

Only in special situations it is possible to move a Terminator from a squad of another player (s. below).

- CP are rolled : 1w3 (+1 for the sarge).

- It is possible to command the Terminator of another squad (if the player agrees, that is) with command points (to get him out of the way etc.).

- The timer is set on 2 min for each player.

Because we have access to painted Space Marines of various chapters (Blood Angels, of Course, Space Wolves, Ultra Marines and two custom Chapters: Warp Hunter and Angry Angels) we usually have one Chapter per Marine-Player with special rules for the various chapters.

We use this rules only in our custom scenarios.

It is not pure canon that squads of different Chapters board a Hulk on the same mission, but so what?

Here our rules for the different chapters:

1.) The Warp Hunters can teleport once per game one Space Marine across two squares an can choose the facing on the target square.

2.) The Ultra Marines get one additional CP each turn.

3.) The Blood-Angels can exchange any Marine with a Lightning Claw Marine ("The Marine goes berserk", "Bloodrage")

4.) The Space Wolves are always on close Combat Guard (very powerful, just like the SW in W40K).

5.) The Angry Angels kill all GS in adjacent squares if a double is rolled for the attack.

These powers are not balanced, but since all Marine-Players are on the same side, this is no Problem.

Usually one player chooses to play the GS and creates a custom scenario on the fly.

These custom scenarios often require teamwork from the differnt squads.

As an example: In one scenario one team had to reach a door control to allow another team access to a different part of the hulk, while the GS were closing in from all sides...

Even with almost no preparation time for the scenarios, they are surprisingly always lots of fun, lots of carnage (this is not so surprisingly) and... balanced.

It is truly epic, when a game with 4 chapters (20 Marines) ends with a victory for the marines with only 3 Marines left.

These rules are not complicated, fit very well into the existing system and are lots of fun with 3+ players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Cominguez
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! great, long time ago I posted a question about how to play with more than two. I like your idea, but...
I have a question, how does it work for Genestealer player... and I asume, after reading that only one player can be Genestealer, am I right?.

Thanks a lot.
Eduardo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
Yes only one player plays the genestealers.

He functions also as a kind of Gamemaster.

Since he is the one who designs the scenario played that evening, he should try to make the scenario solvable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Cominguez
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So... is it a "must" that GS design the mission? or could it be played using one of the missions that come with the game?.
I am not so experienced as to create an scenario on the fly, I would like to use one of the scenarios writen on the game.
So... (sorry by my english)...

Do you think that I can choose any scenario... or do you recomend one of them... or do you think that no game scenario works with this rules?.

Thank you.
Eduardo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
We used our multiplayer rules once with mission III and V (without the chapter rules). 2 Marine players (each with one squad) and one GS-Player. Here it worked very well.

But the coordination of the marines was not easy.

Since every player moves his squad as a whole before the other Marine players turn, it is possible, that one Terminator from the one squad blocks the Terminators of the other squad.

So the Marine players are not well advised if they mix their Terminators together.

In Mission III this was no problem, more so in Mission V, still it worked in both missions.

The fact that you are allowed to use your CPs to move a Terminator of the other squad and the possibilty to change the turnorder of the Marines every round anew helps a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.