Mark Richard
msg tools
I saw another discussion about this but the thread didn't end with much of a concensus. All I know is, whenever we have an adventure with a Ranger using Careful Attack, things usually go the player's way. A virtual autokill each round seems crazy. They should have made it +8 but roll the D20 twice and pick the higher number, or just give it a high attack value of +10/+12 or something. At least there is a chance to miss. The solo adventures are a joke for a Ranger with Careful Attack. Plus, rolling the dice is fun and adds tension.

Am I way off base on this?

I realize the Ranger has one less power than the other classes, and that by not rolling the D20 he won't be able to level up, but it still seems ovewpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few things. One, there are monsters with 2HP, so it is not always an auto kill. But for the one HP monsters, I don't think it is overpowered.

Also, I do roll the D20 when I attack, the natural 20 can either help with leveling up or add 1 extra damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get a string of 2HP monsters, suddenly you're rolling the die for Hit and Run instead of spamming CA. Using CA and having it take 2 turns to kill a monster, Ranger won't have enough resilience to hold on, with her poor AC. It is a powerful attack, but I can see a point to picking Hit and Run + Hunter's Shot instead for the Ranger to cover ranged attacks and have a 2 dmg At-Will. Twin Shot is just too miss-prone to be really useful IMO. Whereas my beef with the Cleric is, there is no point to picking Divine Flare over Lance of Faith or Healing Strike (as stated in another thread).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, the way monsters work in this game it hardly seems to matter. Sure, the Ranger kills a creature a turn, but he's still getting hit every turn anyway. I feel it SHOULD be overpowering, but that hasn't been my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Richard
msg tools
Fair point, but there are a lot more 1HP monsters than 2HPs. The monsters always get the drop on you so I guess they can wear him down.

Here is my example though. I played 2 games yesterday of the same adventure using 2 characters. In the first game we had the Ranger and Cleric. In the 2nd adventure we had the Fighter and Cleric.

In the 1st game the Ranger\Cleric of course took some damage but they never got overwhelmed with monsters (I think that is the key difference). The Ranger would autokill all the 1HP guys and the 2HP guys never lasted more than 2 rounds. More often than not they didn't last 1 round because the Cleric will hit for 1 damage and the Ranger would finish him off. The Cleric would miss here and there but the monster still wouldn't last longer than 2 careful attacks. Plus, with all the kills racked up it was easier to cancel the bad encounter cards.

In the 2nd game, things started well for the Cleric/Fighter, but as soon as they had a bad streak of die rolls, they were overwhelmed with monsters and things went south.

I don't think you can overestimate the value of the autokill. CR is a winnable game until you hit a bad dice rolling streak. That's when the characters get overwhelmed. CR seems to pump in a steady stream of Monsters/encounters. After every hero phase you will get at least 1 monster or 1 encounter. In many cases you get 1 of each. Some of the encounters will even add another monster. You need to kill about 1 monster each turn (on average) to stay ahead. If 2 characters miss in a row, suddenly you have a couple monsters pounding on you. Careful attack totally mitigates this. It's a steady stream of guaranteed relief..plus treasure and XP.

Still seems a little too powerful to me. He should have some chance to miss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
She's fine, the Cleric is the only one nearing over-powered. He's a monster-guzzling, party-healing machine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, the obvious: you don't have to pick it if it seems overpowered to you.

But more seriously, it is a lot less "auto-win" with more Heroes in play. A series of bad rolls/draws and there could be four 1HP monsters on the ranger's turn, and any may have already dealt the ranger damage. So the decision becomes to kill one for certain, or risk a multi-shot power that could miss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Richard
msg tools
Very true, and don't get me wrong, I still think this is a great game. We were just trying to decide if we wanted to house-rule this power a little. Based on the feedback it sounds like most people disagree with me. I think I will leave the power as is for now and play with it some more. Thanks for the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:
Frankly, the way monsters work in this game it hardly seems to matter. Sure, the Ranger kills a creature a turn, but he's still getting hit every turn anyway. I feel it SHOULD be overpowering, but that hasn't been my experience.

I'm surprised more people don't see this. A lot in this game seems like it should play one way or another, but when you actually put dice to table you find out it doesn't and most sessions tend to play out the same regardless of the differences in heroes, tile layout, monster draws, etc...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Funkofages
msg tools
Just an aside, the Ranger is the only class that doesn't get a class specific, or race specific power. Yes, he has one of the better character abilities, but all in all, having one less tool should allow for having a better tool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
finbar taub
United States
san diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Way late to this thread, but I found it by asking google if the ranger seems overpowered. I feel the same way as the poster. Even if it's not quite overpowered (or that it being powerful shouldn't matter in a cooperative) i feel like it is a very BORING kind of power. MANY of the Rangers turns are comprised of just walking up to a monster - the damage is automatic. And since the ranger can explore from anywhere on the tile, it makes it even more boring, as her positioning on the tile doesn't matter most of the time! So if we compare, walking up to a monster (IMO) is SOOOO much less fun than getting to that monster and rolling to see if you hit it. All the excitement is gone.

Oh - and its a real bummer to me, because i really like the Ranger as a class - one of my favorites in RPG's and such.

Just sayin....

oh - and like the OP, i really love this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Hebert
Canada
Granby
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always pick my powers randomly...so i rarely get CA....another thing...i added about 10 undeads from dungeon command...so the heroes are never overpowered in my games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhys Corlett
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
I brought this without thinking it through
badge
I don't have to explain my art to you
mbmbmbmbmb
In D&D we normally encourage rangers to scout ahead and pick off any weak threats with stealth attacks - and the ranger in CR acts largely the same way. There is one overpowered ranger in the D&D Adventure System games, but it's not the one from Ravenloft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.