Popular Tags: [View All]
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill and I met again at Treasury for Camelot Legends.

A disappointing game this time, although more for him than me. I continually drew gun characters. I was dealt Lancelot, Bors and the Arch of Canterbury. I soon picked up Arthur, Gawain, Tristan and Pellinore. At one point I have 6 characters at the same site as Sir Marhaus and he could not target any of them!

In addition, Bill's early Guinevere backfired via Castle of Maidens, which I predictably completed and she came to my side. In the end, she and Lancelot sailed off to Avalon.

Anyway, I completed almost everything on offer and did not even need Arthur's help to slay the dragon at the end. I won 46 to 14.

Although this was an extreme case of unbalanced draws, which you expect every so often with this kind of game, I am getting the feeling that it happens a little too often and that the result is a little too influenced by the draws.

How could this be improved? As it stands, the game is a good length, time-wise, but with only 17 events in a two-player game it seems to go too fast - whoever gets good, early characters down can dominate. However, I would not favour increase the number of events since this simply increases the time length of the game.

A possible change would be to pump up the text abilities of the characters, since we virtually never use the 'discard him/her at the end of that turn' abilities unless its an obvious direct benefit. For example, I would never add 3 to Percival's adventure and discard him since he is way too good. However, if you could add 5 then he might get discarded more often. This would have the effect of removing powerful characters from play.

In addition, I am curious as to why only 2 actions are allowed. I wonder if 3 actions might speed up the game a bit and also allow a bit of catch-up for the player behind. As it stands, the High King's ability to add a card action is very, very powerful. Three actions as the standard would lower the relative value of an extra action. However, I assume that the number of card actions was play tested quite a bit, so perhaps it will become clearer with more games.

Finally, after a few games I feel that there are too many different allegiances - getting two knights with the same allegiance seems to occur too rarely.

However, the game seems pretty sound and the presentation is wonderful, so it will keep hitting the table.

John.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
Hi, John.

Thanks for the insightful report! The luck factor in Camelot Legends is most evident in a 2-player game. Although certain cards such as Noble Alliance and Royal Boon were specifically added to help offset the luck factor, you do get occasional games where one player seems to draw all the strong characters.

I've been thinking of some variants to help offset the strong characters ("the big 12" as I call them). Perhaps a variant could require a player to discard a card from hand when playing one of the big 12, or simply having those Characters cost 2 actions to play instead of 1. If you are interested in trying either of these variants, I'd be very interested to hear the results.

What I consider the "big 12" are:

King Arthur
Sir Lancelot
Sir Gawain
Sir Percival
Sir Bors
Sir Galahad
Sir Lamorak
Sir Tristan
Sir Gareth
Sir Mordred
Princess Guinevere
Morgan le Fay

Other potential candidates include Merlin, Nimue, and others.

Since you guys are frequent players, your insights into one of these variants would be very helpful. Regarding your other comments, you guessed correctly that both 2 actions and 3 actions per turn were thoroughly playtested. The reason 2 actions were selected was to keep each player's turn from getting too long, and to keep players from being able to defeat the more difficult events too easily.

Regarding making the "add +3" characters' ability more enticing to use, I am fearful of making the "big 12" even bigger by expanding their options. You are on the right track though... the entrance of such a character into the game could be balanced in some manner.

Note that if you are playing the "2 actions for a big character" variant, a player's Starting Character would not be affected by the variant.

Thanks again for your insights, John. It's always great to hear new ideas from players.

Andrew

----------------------------

Andrew Parks
Camelot Legends Designer
Z-Man Games, Inc.
webmaster@njkingdom.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Tracey
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Personally, I agree with the +3 thing, on both sides. What I would recommend (too late now obviously, but if/when there are expansions) is that you have characters that are +3, but aren't nearly as good overall. So, A character could have the stats of someone like Turquin, and could add +3 combat. Since his stats are only good for one thing, it wouldn't be that huge of a loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point, Brendan. Perhaps if we have the opportunity to do an expansion we can add a couple of Characters who are good at one ability exclusively. For example, it always seems to be worth it to send someone like Sir Breunis off to the Roman War since he is essentially good at only Combat and Cunning, which is exactly what the Roman War calls for. Similarly, having Characters with only one or two decent Abilities that can be pumped would add a new layer of strategy to the game.

Thanks!

Andrew

----------------------------

Andrew Parks
Camelot Legends Designer
Z-Man Games, Inc.
webmaster@njkingdom.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Tracey
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't get it. I posted a session report, but it doesn't show up. You can still see it, but only by going to this thread and clicking previous thread. Any ideas why that is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sometimes takes the database a while to catch up to itself. So even though the post exists, it isn't showing up yet on the main Articles menu. If it still isn't up by tomorrow, I would recommend sending Aldie an email to ask him about it. But in the meantime, I would go on the assumption that it will show up sometime today.

By the way, the first image for "Parthenon: Rise of the Aegean" is finally online here at BGG. I will be sending in an image of the Box Cover and the Game Board later this week.

Thanks,

Andrew

------------------------------

Andrew Parks
Camelot Legends Designer
Z-Man Games, Inc.
webmaster@njkingdom.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.