Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so I saw this question in another thread but it didnt seem to be definitively answered.

This happened in our game last night:

I upgrade a religious building in the age of faith, this ripples to the age of reason which in ends up connecting two domains. I was trying to do this to get control of some more points in the age of reason.

Is this a legal play?

There does not seem to be a definitive answer in the rulebook about whether you must verify if the rule of dominion is being followed upon ripplings of just on the current board. It seems you do not as examples show how paradoxes can be legally played. But in this way can an orange or purple building connect domains in the age of reason?

So, any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought is to respect the rule of dominion. So, if taken at absolute face value, no military/religious building can be built or upgraded if doing so would join two domains (that's reserved for civil buildings ONLY).

I take that to mean that - even "inside" of that restriction - in other words, if the "consequences" of that construction/upgrade (read: rippling) joins two domains, then the original play ought still be forbidden.

I don't know if that makes any sense, but that's how I've been playing it. And the other players don't seem to have a problem with it.

So, yeah, there it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:
I take that to mean that - even "inside" of that restriction - in other words, if the "consequences" of that construction/upgrade (read: rippling) joins two domains, then the original play ought still be forbidden.

Well, as long as the Rule of Dominion was followed in the Age of Faith, the construction of the building is still legal. Refer to the first example on page 6. In that case, the building is constructed in the Age of Might, but it is prevented from rippling into the Age of Faith, because there it would break the Rule of Dominion.

The question is whether the Rule of Dominion applies to the Age of Reason. However, I am trying to figure out how this would even happen. That is, how could you have domains in the Age of Reason that do not reflect the Age of Faith? The domains could be smaller in the Age of Reason, due to a lack of tiles, but how could they be larger?

Assuming that it is possible, based on the rulebook, there is no exception given for the Age of Reason. Thus, I would say that the building may be constructed in the Age of Faith, but the Rule of DOminion would prevent it from rippling forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That totally makes sense, too. Honestly, every time I play this game there's always some minutia that gets debated over. I guess that's just the nature of time travel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Unfortunately, the answer given above is wrong. I refer you to the FAQ I cobbled toghether from various rules questions. This one I found the answer to on the Khronos forum here (in French), and it turned out that neither of the building rules in Reason are adhered to. So you can join together two domains in Reason with a non-civil building. It's a very rare event, but can still happen nonetheless.

I found it helps to think of the game board as two separate entities which are each other's opposite in nearly every way, and that the structure of larger buildings in Reason is an exact replica of that in Faith. While I was writing the FAQ I began to wonder more and more why the rules weren't simplified to the above statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.