Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter B
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could there possibly be a rulebook that is any less complete and more ambiguous?

Even the combat rules, which you'd think would be straightforward to enumerate, leave important things out. Does a monster always attack when it can? The rules don't say. Can a monster attack during a melee or ranged round if the player attacks? The rules don't say.

I'm trying to like this game. I really am. But I want to find whoever wrote the rulebook and smack him or her across the nose with a rolled up copy of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peterb12 wrote:
Could there possibly be a rulebook that is any less complete and more ambiguous?

Even the combat rules, which you'd think would be straightforward to enumerate, leave important things out. Does a monster always attack when it can? The rules don't say. Can a monster attack during a melee or ranged round if the player attacks? The rules don't say.

I'm trying to like this game. I really am. But I want to find whoever wrote the rulebook and smack him or her across the nose with a rolled up copy of it.

That's funny, I actually found the rulebook pretty straightforward and easy to understand. The one big omission in it is to outline the win condition (which admittedly is a big one), but other that I had not problems.

I think your problem may be trying to infer information from the rules that is not there. For example, the rules don't say that a monster doesn't attack some rounds, that means he attacks every round. The defending phase is also pretty clearly spelled out, so don't try to find additional rules in there that are not written. If you just follow the rules exactly as they're written, you won't go wrong.

Answers to your questions:

Each round that a hero or ally is attacking the monster, roll the dice for that hero/ally - if the roll is higher than the monster's difficulty you damage the monster, otherwise the monster damages you.

When defending (which can only be done by your hero, not by an ally), you basically do the same thing as when attacking, but the hero wins he DOES NOT do damage to the monster, but if the monster wins he still does damage to the hero. Since a hero can only attack in one phase of combat, he will have to defend in other phases unless he has allies to attack for him in those phases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxim Maltsev
Russia
Novosibirsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mishenka wrote:

Each round that a hero or ally is attacking the monster, roll the dice for that hero/ally - if the roll is higher than the monster's difficulty you damage the monster, otherwise the monster damages you.

According to my rules you mus roll equal or higher to win. Not just higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sverre
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mishenka wrote:
peterb12 wrote:
Does a monster always attack when it can? The rules don't say. Can a monster attack during a melee or ranged round if the player attacks? The rules don't say.

I think your problem may be trying to infer information from the rules that is not there. For example, the rules don't say that a monster doesn't attack some rounds, that means he attacks every round.

At the risk of being pedantic: A monster never "attacks".

The player chooses to attack or defend (or attack with an ally). The monster deals you (or ally) damage if you fail either.

I think this is quite clear from the rules, as long as you read them carefully as a game mechanic and don't try to think about the theme. Combat in this game is not symmetric between you and the monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.