Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Riley
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing the Curse card wrong from the start, I offer a variant that allows for a tiny bit more interaction with the Curse card.

I never could understand why the Curse was set out in the supply if the Witch wasn't in play. As other expansions came out, I never saw a rule in the book that clarified this card, and besides we were having fun with our version. So, when I found out (finally) how Curses were supposed to be used, we changed for about 30 or 40 games... and really disliked the FAQ explanation of a Curse card. Our rule just seemed more fun.

So here it is. We use the Curses as an action card. If you use one action, you can give/pass the curse to another player, who must put the Curse in their "discard" pile. You can block a Curse with a "blue" blocking card, and in that case, the Curse goes in the passing player's "discard."

And that's it. So, you buy up a Curse for 0, and eventually, it cycles through your hand, and you can give it to someone else as one action. This leads to a tiny bit more interaction, adds an "attack" action for 0 cost and essentially (at least for us) was more fun then the original rule. We found that we would buy up about 6 to 12 Curses in a game, which would alter the score a tad, often times, we would split Provines evenly, and the -1s would come into play a bit. Just seems like more fun to me and gives the Curse a bit more usefulness in the game.

Give it a try for a game or two and let me know what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes it far too easy to dispose of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting at least. But it really doesn't seem like it would be very fun because it would slow the game down way too much. This mechanic also could be very OP in certain setups just because the current rules and card-set do not accommodate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also breaks one of the "cardinal unwritten rules" of Dominion, that all "attacks" hurt everyone equally. The lack of targetted screwage is a big plus for many of the people I play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
gonzoron wrote:
Also breaks one of the "cardinal unwritten rules" of Dominion, that all "attacks" hurt everyone equally. The lack of targetted screwage is a big plus for many of the people I play with.

Never thought about that... but that is very true. haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaDane the Dane
Denmark
Ringkøbing
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds like "[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_maid_(card_game)]Old maid[/url]". (In German: Schwarzer Peter

Might be fun, but I think it should be a different card. And probably named Old Maid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliander Eldridge
United States
Alton
Illinois
flag msg tools
Maybe instead of a variant, a new card to make it work differently? Then it isn't a blanket change.

Like...

All That Glistens
Cost: 4
Action-Duration

This card remains in play until another copy of this card is played. Only one such card can be in play at any given time. While this card is in play, you may treat curse cards as gold. At the end of the game, if this card is in your deck, all treasures are treated as curse cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chamberlain
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Makes it far too easy to dispose of them.

Agreed. This changes the dynamics of the curse cards to the point where, as one of the other posters stated, it would be strategically foolish to ever buy any of the cards that give people curses. Those people will possess the ability to give you curses without having to even buy a card that does so. The primary person hurt by the cards that give out curses would be the player who buys the card.

I suspect that the players who like this alternate rule better don't understand how the strategy around curses works when the correct rule is used, and don't realize that they are watering it down with this change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.