Subject: Homemade mounted board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alec Clair
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to put the SW paperboard under a sheet of plexiglass that I usually use for wargames. And it worked fine.

I've tried to store the paperboard flat under piles of various items, but no matter how long I tried it didn't turn out so well.

So recently I tried to mount the paper board provided in the small boxes and it worked very well.

The main issue it do get rid of all thoses nasty wrinkles.
The trick that made it was to spread glue on the back on the paperboard, I used white vynil glue and spread it thin with a large brush.

The nice thing was, that after waiting a couple of minutes the paperboard was humidified by the glue, so it wasn't stiff anymore, and all creases disappeared. So I was able to lay it perfectly (and I really mean perfectly) flat on a piece of cardboard.

Be carefull that once full of glue the paperboard tend to stick with itself, So A pair of extra hand is highly recommended to keep the board tight why you lay it on the cardboard slowly to avoid bubbles developement. This is a bit tricky to do it alone, an extra person, will make it easy.

I mounted it on 35 mm "wood cardboard", the kind artist use to fasten their canvas. Mostly because I had some sheet of the correct size handy, but I suppose most cardboard will do it (or even wood, altough it's harder to cut to the proper size) I then let it dry completly with several weights on the board, because this kind of cardboard tend to warp a little due to the glue.

When it was completly dry I laminated it with a clear adhesive to preserve the board. When I was done I cutted the board to the proper size. It's better to have a slightly larger board and to cut it after laying the paper and laminating it, because it is easy to deviate a little while laying the paper. Even if it waste a little material.

All in all it required little components and times.

And the game is just so much better with a clean mounted board.

I thought of cutting the board in half to make it transportable. But I don't did it, and instead I choosed to keep one of the paperboard from the other base box unmounted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds pretty cool, are pictures coming? I'd love to see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Clair
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as I can borrow an numeric Camera, I wish I could have uploaded some pictures with my post

EDIT:
hoppefully a friend lend me a camera, so I can post a pictures, showing the initial components (this is the original paperboard from the small SW box), and the final result, I added "the low angle" view, so that you can judge by yourself how slick is the final result.
Note that I laminated the board, so it's a little glossy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice board! What did you use to laminate it with? Brush on or spray on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Clair
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
self adhesive clear film.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dexter Ang
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a one piece self adhesive clear film or multiple pieces of it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Clair
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one piece, larger than the board. Once applied I cut it to the size of the board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dexter Ang
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.