Michael Spence
United Kingdom
Newtownabbey
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
What happens when these combine?
mbmbmbmbmb

The starter material that you need to actually play the game can be found on the GW website under Warhammer Articles, Island of Blood.

There are stats for the units in the box and scenarios to actually use them.

Not sure why GW did not include this in the read me first book.

Hands up who spent £35 on the army books before finding these files on the website. whistle

And of course if you want to be able to use the miniatures easily you can spend another £12 on two packs of regiment trays...

I've missed GW!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was discussed briefly on the Warhammer forum. The basic stats are included, but the special abilities were not listed, so GW posted a reference document to remedy the situation. No biggie really. Whether it was a ploy or an oversight, who knows.

This isn't too far removed from the Skull Pass starter, special abilities listed in the rule book itself were part of the game, but if you decided to build up a Dwarf or Greenskin Army, you would want to buy the Army books.

I'm not interested in building up Skaven or High Elves, so i haven't picked up IoB yet. But it seems equal or greater in value to Skull Pass, i'de recommend it as an introduction to the Warhammer hobby. You get everything you need to get started in one box, that's a good deal. (movement trays would have been nice however)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bry Barnes
United Kingdom
Somerset, Uk
flag msg tools
For other comments on the Island of Blood starter set see the post at:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/552573/how-playable-is-t...

Personally I think Island of Blood is pretty useless as a starter set for a Noob. It doesn't include anything in the box that helps a Noob get started, as was included in the 7th Edition starter set 'Skull Pass'. No step-by-step guides to the game, no step-by-step painting guides, just a load of advertising material. In fact there was more stuff in the 'White Dwarf' mag than there was in the box.

So unless you really want Elf or Skaven figures I'd recommend just getting a copy of the new rules, and maybe pickup an old copy of 'Skull Pass'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would a noob be better off spending $70 on the hardcover rulebook, plus more money for the dice and templates, and than a lot more money for the initial army buy-in than $100 on IoB? Because of the Quickstart guide?

Either way they go they are still not getting a Quickstart guide. Warhammer isn't that hard to learn. i just went back and looked through the Skull Pass Quickstart and i think it's being overrated a little bit here. i wouldn't let it's absence prevent me from buying IoB one way or the other. (i have been playing games like Warhammer since i was 12yo, my friends and i would have made short work of Warhammer's rules, they're not that bad.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bry Barnes
United Kingdom
Somerset, Uk
flag msg tools
Cracky wrote:
(i have been playing games like Warhammer since i was 12yo, my friends and i would have made short work of Warhammer's rules, they're not that bad.)

Well bully for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whatever Battlerbritain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.