Subject: Fan created LOTR scenarios and characters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario Thompson
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
This is more of an open letter to those Geeks who are making the awesome characters, scenarios and variants for Castle Ravenloft:

Wouldn't it be awesome to see some Lord of the Rings themed scenarios and characters using the CR system? Imagine Gandalf and Boromir hacking their way through a dungeon filled with orcs... it has some pretty sweet potential.

I'm not nearly talented enough to come up with anything like the awesome character cards and scenarios that I've seen here on the geek, but I would love it if someone was interested in spending some time to try to create some stats/abilities/scenarios for this.

Any takers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mines of Moria would be an easy first step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Thompson
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
I agree- Mines of Moria would work perfectly.

How about the Balin's Tomb battle with the Cave Troll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Harker

Kalamazoo
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a fun idea, and yeah,
the Mines of Moria would be a relatively
easy conversion. But I think you may want
to wait until Wrath of Ashardalon comes out.
That seems like it would have more of a LOTR
flavour, probably come with some appropriate
monsters/minis too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrath of Ashardalon = Wrath of Smaug? ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Thompson
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
I took a look at the WoA components, and I have to disagree. It doesn't look like WoA has anything component-wise that would make it any better than CR for a LOTR retheme. The dungeon setting and theme in CR would be perfect for the mines. Either way, it would be preferable to use some outside minis to represent the orcs/cavetroll/balrog. I don't see any reason to hold off making LOTR themed stuff now because there are no show stoppers in CR keeping you from doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Gustafsson

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mines of Moria from GW contains what you need miniatures-wise. In in you will find the full fellowship and some bad guys. The bad guys consists of, if memory serves; shield goblins, spear goblins, bow goblins and a big hulking troll.

I think we will need five character cards for Gandalf, Legolas, Aragon, Gimli and Boromir. For the hobbits I think it would be interesting if the Moria-mission is about keeping them alive. Let's say the hobbits are activated just like monsters but that they have a friendlier agenda. Maybe they make a feeble attack if next to a hero or tries to maneuever next to a hero if not.

The goblins are easy. Bow goblins shoot 1 tile or moves closer 1 tile. The shield goblins moves adjacent and attacks or moves closer. The spear goblins moves adjacent to shield goblins and attacks from the second rank, or attacks on their own or moves closer. Shield goblins have better AC than the rest but other than that they should be pretty similar.

The brutish troll can be a low-level villain with an assortment of area and direct attacks.

Please feel free to make kits for the heroes selecting powers from any class as appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're doing Moria, you have to have a Balrog...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherwood 925
United States
Concord
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring and its expansion has orcs, cave trolls, and even a Balrog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Gustafsson

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all we need to look at the cards.
The monster cards needs to be substituted for LoTR-cards. Frankly I think we can get rid of them and instead use a cheat sheet with the monster agendas. Perhaps we can use counters of three different colors to account for which player owns which goblin. No stitch that. Let's use monster tokens. See below.

The treasure cards can be used. We just need to sort out all items first. Magic items aren't someting you are very likely to find in Moria. We keep the rest of the treasures in order to keep the game fluid.

The encounter cards are next to useless. The theme doesn't quite fit. In a LoTR context they feel downright jarring. If we get rid of the encounter cards we need to make up for the lowered danger level with waves of goblins.

Now, I'm thinking it would be pretty nice of we can have an agenda attached to the portal. It's a nice set-piece and if has an agenda of sorts it can act as a monster spawner.

PORTAL (Villain, sort of)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
* If the cave troll is not in play and there are 5 damage counters on the portal place the cave troll on the start tile.
* If there are 3 damage counters on the portal draw and place 3 goblins on the start tile. Portal takes 1 damage unless 3 XPs are spent.
* If there are 2 damage counters on the portal draw and place 2 goblins on the start tile. Portal takes 1 damage unless 2 XPs are spent.
* If there are 0-1 damage counters on the portal draw and place 1 goblin on the start tile. Portal takes 1 damage.
* Otherwise draw and place two goblins on the start tile.

Draw and place: Put the 0 Monsters, 1 Monster and 2 Monsters tokens in a cup or the box lid. If you draw 0 Monsters place one shield goblin. If you draw 1 Monster place one spear goblin. If you draw 2 Monsters place 1 bow goblin.

Pass the Portal to the player on your left after the Villain Phase.

Let's use this dungeon set-up as a starting point:

Let's place the portal on the start tile (where the monster cards are on the picture. Place one pillar on the inner corner square on each of the crypt corners. Place Balin's tomb on the chapel altar tile. Place the well on the bone pile on the center tile.

Anyone wan't to do the characters and monster stats?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
If you're doing Moria, you have to have a Balrog...

-shnar

and the Bridge of Khazad Dum. (think i spelled that right)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, sounds fun. I want in!

How about this:
* Hobbits are represented by individual markers.
* Hobbits are controlled like the promo cards (Hero moves the Hobbits at the end of the Hero phase, then passes the Hobbit card two players to the left).
* Hobbits grant a +1 Attack bonus to adjacent Heroes. (Or you could individualize each Hobbit: Frodo grants +1 damage, Sam +1 AC, Pippin +1 attack, Merry grants one re-roll.)
* Hobbits _can_ be attacked by Monsters, but all Monster logic has them being attacked only if they are defenseless. Or the rule is that Hobbits can only be targeted as a Hero if they are on a tile without an actual Hero.
* Hobbits have 2 hit points. Flip the marker the first hit, and remove the second. The scenario will determine how many living Hobbits are needed for victory.

I think you could still have Encounter cards, but they would need to be all custom cards. Tweak it so you draw less of them.

Scenario ideas:
* Battle at the Doors of Durin (with a battle against the Watcher, probably have to take a few liberties and add some other foes)
* Chamber of Mazarbul (Troll villain)
* Bridge of Khazad-dûm (Balrog!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Gustafsson

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your ideas. Merry could grant +1 Speed (since rerolls are pretty much unheard of in CR.) I think hobbits should move as often as players and passing them around serves to make them faster. Maybe it's better if they stick to a player. I think it's up to the players to see to that the hobbits aren't "the closest hero". I think 2 HP is appropriate.

Frodo could have a few extra tricks up his sleeve. He's got a magical sword, mithril mail shirt and a ring of invisibility and ruling all, after all.

Anyhow, *watching the video*, the hobbits are quite brave and are making attacks all over the place. We need to have that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you're creating your own monsters, you can always create special tactics that involve the Hobbits. Such as, "If a hobbit is within 3 spaces, move adjacent to the hobbit and attack, otherwise if a hero is within 1 tile, move adjacent to the hero and attack" etc...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Thompson
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow! So many great ideas! I like the synergy we have going on here.

It’s good to know that Mines of Moria by GW, and War of the Ring by FFG both contain the appropriate minis for this scenario.

However, as we design this scenario, maybe we should develop ways to make it easy for others to play it who don’t have the minis from those other games and don’t intend on buying them. The fist thing that comes to my mind are creating some tokens for the three different kinds of Goblins, or you could use the zombies, ghouls, and wraiths as your goblins. Also, you could use the Flesh Golem as the Cave Troll.

@ Frostmarrow- I really like the starting Dungeon setup that you’ve created. I think that it looks perfect. What does everyone else think? Also, I like that the Portal decides when the Cave Troll comes into play. I was going to suggest something like counter on the first solo scenario that awakes Strahd as a device to do the same thing. However, I’m slightly confused- where is the Portal is taking damage from?

@ Frostmarrow- I think that you’re correct- the encounter cards as they are wouldn’t really work thematically. To ramp up the difficulty level if there are no encounter cards do you think we should draw tiles for the amount of goblins that spawn?

In fact, In order to get right into the action, what if we started the scenario with each hero’s villain phase? Instead of having characters have a whole turn where they perform a hero phase and explore (they really don’t need to at the start) you would go around the table, and have each person draw a tile, and spawns that many goblins. So the first round each person would only perform a villain phase- this way the scenario starts out with the Heroes against all odds. If we didn’t want to rely on tiles to vary the number of monsters, we could always standardize it and have each hero place 2 goblins instead.

I think that Goblins should stop spawning when the Cave troll appears. Thematically, I think that is the best way to go about it. Before that however, we should definitely have overwhelming waves of them.

@ Anarchy- Great ideas! 2 hit points sounds about right for the hobbits. I like all of your ideas, the only thing I am unsure about is the passing around of the Hobbits. I think that having individual players keep control of each of the hobbits would be best- I don’t see a reason to have the hobbits move any faster than the rest of the party.

I really like the idea of protecting the hobbits as a goal. Just an idea- instead of having all of the hobbits controlled separately (which very well may be the best idea) what if all 4 hobbits were represented by one token- the idea being that they stay close to each other for protection? Or instead of having one token that represents all of the hobbits, maybe two: a Merry/Pippin token and a Sam/Frodo token- which may work thematically as they would stick together… I don’t know… just spitballing here …

The Cave troll:
I think that the cave troll’s area attacks should be indiscriminant of heroes/hobbits and orcs. The Cave troll should do damage to everything on a certain tile regardless of who they are.

Maybe the Cave troll’s chain attack should be a ranged ability?

Also, How about when its time for the Cave troll to enter the battle you roll a d20 and on a result of 1-5 he breaks through a wall on the south side of the board onto a tile within one tile of a hero. 6-10 he breaks through a wall on the east side and does the same thing. This way, you can’t know the direction the big guy will be coming from beforehand.

Questions:

How do you think leveling should work in this scenario? Should it work the same as the others? Is there any reason to change it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the multi-Hobbit token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Gustafsson

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The portal takes damage from the goblins and troll who tries to bust it open. The reason the cave troll comes later is that the doors keep it out and the goblins enter through smaller breeches in it.

I think the set-up should accomodate for a short corridor leading up to the portal.

I'm all for the cave troll attacking indiscriminately with his chain. I think he also could pick people up and even throw heroes into walls.

Maybe the heroes in the hero phase can attack the goblins behind the portal somehow delaying their breakthrough?

I'm no fan of rolling the d20 for anything but attacks. But since the crypt corners have results printed on them maybe something can be tied to that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignazio Corrao
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Hobbits should be Players' controlled Heroes.
Maybe you choose all 4 Hobbits as a single Character, and move and fight with all of them in the same turn.
Each Hobbit could have 2 HPs, and a very weak attack (+3/1 Damage).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.