Subject: Recommendations for a teenage group rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all!
I'm relativley new to board gaming, but I've come to love it and want to share my love with the world!
And so it came to be that I volonteered to come visit a youth group at my church to demonstrate and let them try out some games. To my surprise they accepted my offer and now I'm absolutley terrified!

It's a mixed gender group and ages range from 13 to 17. They usualy meat at friday evenings to "hang" or "chill" or what ever it is teens do now adays

I'll have about 4h at my disposal. I don't think there is much gaming experiance in the group so it would have to be games that are easy to teach. Though it has to be fun/challenging enough to keep their attention.
Any advice about what games might be suitable or any other pointers as to how best make it a fun evening for them would be much appreciated.

My current, quite modest, collection of games can be found here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/smuggler

Of the games in my collection I'd think Settlers of Catan is an obvious choise, perhaps Ad Astra could work as well. I allso have the opportunity to purchase one or two new games for the occation if you, the BGG comunity, has any sugestions.

Best regards and thanks in advance,
Henrik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have lots of players (8+) I strongly suggest you try one of the various Werewolf variants:

e.g.
Ultimate Werewolf: Compact Edition
The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Isaak
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion, its expansions, and z man games shadow hunters are all games our kids at ATA love. ANother good one is ingenious
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goran M
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of possible purchases i would reccomend Jungle Speed.

Why would it be good for this occasion: easily portable, scales very nicely with large no. of people, suited for beginners & people who don't have ANY experience with BG, suited for experienced gamers as well, easy to teach, not a traditional BG, more oriented to dexterity, cheap to buy even in europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Pettersson
Sweden
Höllviken
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think both Small World and Ticket to Ride: Europe could be of interest to look at for your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should go with the party or dexerity games mentioned first, and once you have a feeling for the group, introduce the more "gamier" games.

Werewolf is a great suggestion, and really cheap too. I really like the suggestion of Jungle Speed too.

And if you want to compare prices of online shops in Sweden, try www.spelpriser.nu

Feel free to drop me a geekmail if you want to discuss this with a fellow Swede.

Lycka till!

Edit: The version of Werewolf I found available in Sweden is called Lupus in Tabula. The theme is horrorish, just so you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Id look into party games that a lot can play at once like apples to pples (altho maybe remove some racy cards first, not sure). Don't overlook old games like chess & mancala both were popular at my youth group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you all for the help and sugestions!

Ingenious and Jungle Speed might very well be excellent games, how ever they are a bit to abstract for my taste, I prefere more theme in my games... But then again, why should I try to puch my own preferences on the kids. I might need to reconcider these

The Werewolf games might be fun, and while I have no problems distinguishing between gemas and reality not all in my church are as open minded. So I think I'd do best to avoid games with any kind of "ocult" theme, atleast the first time

In conclusion I think I'll add Ticket to Ride: Europe to my collection as it seems to be a good starter game and suits my personal taste as well. Allso it's easy to get hold of with short notice
I'll allso concider Jungle Speed, might be good for thous who likes a bit more action.

I'll let you know how it works out, it's still two weeks away though so I still have plenty of time to plan!

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
our youth group plays the mafia version of werewolf. Also In the files section here for werewolf is a Christian themed version Iill be trying out in a few weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.