Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Szukalow
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just completed a rank trade list and I have the option to take either Samurai or Power Grid. I'm leaning towards one already but was wondering if I could hear from some of you who have played either or both and can tell me what you like/dislike about the a.m. games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kimball
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd choose Samurai.

It's beautiful, elegant, and Knizialiscious. How many satisfyingly strategic games are there that play out in less than an hour?

Power Grid is good, but more fiddley and takes longer to enjoy a full game. I think Power Grid's resource market and plant auction are great, but I find the city placement aspect somehow unsatisfying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
These are both great games. If it were me, I'd decide based on obvious characteristics: Samurai plays in under an hour and is for 2-4 players, while Power Grid takes about two hours and is for 2-6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai was just really dry and boring to me, with no "fun factor". The laying of tiles doesn't really make me feel like I'm doing anything. At least when I lay a tile in Carcassonne I feel like I'm building something, or when I lay a tile in Entdecker I feel like I've explored something. In Samurai, I just feel like I layed a tile with a number on it. On the plus side, Samurai is short. If you're bored with it, at least it's over quickly!

Power Grid has a lot more going on, and is just a lot more fun for me. The buying of plants, connections, and resources flows together seamlessly to make a great game. It actually feels like I'm managing a power company, which is a lot cooler than laying some tiles to win hats and rice.

My choice: Power Grid!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Feiler
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with what chaddyboy said. Samurai feels kind of dull to me (and I usually like Knizia games quite a bit). I am terrible at it so take my words with a grain of salt - but I also seems often that everyone plays a waiting game where they don't want to place the penultimate piece around a city. Finally someone cracks, the city gets closed off, rinse and repeat. I guess a lot of people like this part of Samurai but to me it is frustrating and not all that enjoyable, most turns I would rather pass than play!

Power Grid has its problems too, the turn order jockeying feels a little strange at times, and the phase stall issue has been discussed elsewhere. To me at least it is just loads more fun. Lots of different strategies, each game will play out differently, and plays differently but still well with any number of players. It's longer, and it is fiddly, but if you break it up (one person manages the bank, another restocks resources, another handles the plant market, etc.) it's not bad at all. I'd recommend Power Grid myself.

Try both is the easy answer - there is a downloadable version of Samurai with computer AI, and you can play Power Grid / Funkenschlag on BSW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ciaramella
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Samurai....do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
DookTibs wrote:
everyone plays a waiting game where they don't want to place the penultimate piece around a city. Finally someone cracks, the city gets closed off, rinse and repeat.

Whoa...proper usage of "penultimate." GEEK!!

Go with Samurai. It's a decent game, but OOP. Power Grid I enjoy more than Samurai, but it's still available through retail stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Holzegraf above hit the nail on the head. I would add that they are totally different games. Samurai is definitely more abstract, plays better with 2 or 3, and feels almost like a chess game. It is very, very good. Power Grid can be clunky and long, but oh, what a great game. It "feels" more like a boardgame. You really can't go wrong with either. Again, if I could only get 1-2 players to play with I'd go with Samurai, more players go with Power Grid. Actually, just trade for one and buy the other. They are both great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Feiler
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:

Whoa...proper usage of "penultimate." GEEK!!

I knew having my old high school dress code ("you must button your shirt up to and including the penultimate button") stuck in my head would pay off some day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:

Go with Samurai. It's a decent game, but OOP. Power Grid I enjoy more than Samurai, but it's still available through retail stores.

hmmm, i just got samurai from thoughthammer for $26, it might be out of print but readily available in at least two online stores...

samurai is very abstract, power grid is less abstract... that's one way to look at it. Samurai is pretty, power grid less pretty, another way to look at it. More stuff to do in power grid, very simple moves in Samurai, yet another way to look at it. Samurai scales down to two players very nicely, which was why I got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:

Samurai is not out of print. Rio reprinted it in the middle of last year.

I would get Power Grid. I like Samurai, and play it frequently, but Power Grid has more "oomph" to it. It will leave you with many agonizing decisions, and the game mixes stuff up well so that it doesn't feel as repetitive as Samurai does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
whoops. Now that you mention it, I do remember that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Szukalow
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, thanks everyone for all your input...and you all have helped me to make the decision to take Power Grid instead of Samurai which was the reason I entered the trade list. Those of you who mentioned the "fun" and "ooomph" factors were what made me change my mind. I have good solid games by Knizia and I think Power Grid will be a good addition to my games library.
This boardgamegeek place is a pretty cool place to get help when you are kinda waffling about deciding on a game. Thanks. thumbsup to everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Gunter
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Really, you couldn't have made a bad decision there. They're both fantastic games. They also happen to be very different games that play absolutely nothing alike. Samurai is quick and pleasant, Power Grid is long and intense. Which one I prefer really depends on my mood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are both so good but for different reasons. I think you have to choose between the mechanic that you are moreinterested in: are you in the mood for strategic tile placement or bidding, buying, & building? The other issue is intended players Samurai is more fun with 2 than PG but only so-so with 4... at that point I'd rather play PowerGrid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Potvin
United States
Brooklyn Park
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both of these games and enjoy them both, so you IMHO you can't go wrong. I personally prefer PG.

PG combines several interesting mechanics and ties them together in a way that works. Samurai is more one dimensional in it's game play.

Both are thought provoking and games with depth, but the water runs a little deeper in PG.

But don't agonize over you decision too much; two good games, so you should be happy either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.