Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
The game I own is 1856. I've played a lot of 1830 but mostly on the computer. So I've never thought to check if the tile manifests of those games are similar.

Now having seen 1846, which I like a lot, I'm salivating at the laminated tiles that come with that game. My understanding is that some of the yellow tiles aren't meant to be limited so you could supplement from other games with similar tiles if needed.

What I'm curious about is whether the tile manifests of 1846 and 1856 are the same, or similar enough, so that if you wanted to use the laminated ones from 1846 with the other game, you could do so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without even looking I'll say "no" with confidence, but feel free to look at any of the three 18xx tile encyclopedias, which will have listings for both games.

ie:
http://www.18xx.net/tiles/1856.htm

You could even order a set of 1856 tiles from DTG, I imagine.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
1856 is not on their list but I could order what I need for it from them if I can tell them what I need (unless there is some unique track type that is not in their data-base - probably unlikely). That I can get from the tips you've given me - thanks Bruce.

Edit note: you are right, the manifests are quite different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubslug wrote:
1856 is not on their list but I could order what I need for it from them if I can tell them what I need (unless there is some unique track type that is not in their data-base - probably unlikely). That I can get from the tips you've given me - thanks Bruce.

You may well not be the first. Drop John an email and see if he's already got made-up sheets 1856 tiles lying around waiting to be printed.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Bubslug wrote:
The game I own is 1856. I've played a lot of 1830 but mostly on the computer. So I've never thought to check if the tile manifests of those games are similar.

Now having seen 1846, which I like a lot, I'm salivating at the laminated tiles that come with that game. My understanding is that some of the yellow tiles aren't meant to be limited so you could supplement from other games with similar tiles if needed.

What I'm curious about is whether the tile manifests of 1846 and 1856 are the same, or similar enough, so that if you wanted to use the laminated ones from 1846 with the other game, you could do so?

There are significant differences between the 1846 and 1856 tile mixes.

1856 has 0-0 tiles, 1846 doesn't.
1846 has 'Z' cities, 1856 doesn't.

1856 has alot more of the base yellow tiles (i.e. straight, shallow curve and tight curve) than 1846.
While 1846 seems to have more curved yellow city tiles (at least we've never run out).

1856 has the Toronto upgrade while 1846 has the significantly different Chicago upgrade.

There are numerous other differences.

BTW, Craft shops sell machines which will do lamination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1856 tiles are probably a little thick for most pouch laminators.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
I have discussed it with John before and, not to put any words in to his mouth, the understanding I got is that he can make you custom sheets of his amazing-quality tiles of pretty much any tile manifests you need (it all comes from a software DB), but you'll be waiting in the same DTG queue everyone else is to get them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
I have discussed it with John before and, not to put any words in to his mouth, the understanding I got is that he can make you custom sheets of his amazing-quality tiles of pretty much any tile manifests you need (it all comes from a software DB), but you'll be waiting in the same DTG queue everyone else is to get them.

Yes, I've checked out the site and the wait time in the order queue is discouraging: 7-11 months. Best I do it soon then! Along with an order for 1846.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubslug wrote:
jrebelo wrote:

Yes, I've checked out the site and the wait time in the order queue is discouraging: 7-11 months. Best I do it soon then! Along with an order for 1846.

The nice thing is, when your order does come around, you can add some other things to it as well.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Bubslug wrote:
jrebelo wrote:

Its better than it used to be! Its not instant gratification but the time will pass faster than you think and the next thing you know it will be at your door.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
BFoy wrote:
1856 has alot more of the base yellow tiles (i.e. straight, shallow curve and tight curve) than 1846.

For the record, 1846: The Race for the Midwest has an infinite number of the base yellow tiles (#7, 8 and 9) even though you'll have to make them yourself if you use up the supply that's included in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.