Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clark Baker
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When another player plays Masquerade, we all pass the required card to the player on our left. May I show a Watchtower and send the card I receive to the Trash (or on top of my draw pile) instead of placing it in my hand?

I believe the answer is "no".

Watchtower says, in part, "When you gain a card, even on someone else's turn, you may reveal Watchtower from your hand, to either trash the gained card or put it on top of your deck."

Masquerade says, in part, "The player to the left then puts that card into his hand." and "This is not an Attack and cannot be responded to with Moat or Secret Chamber." It refers to these cards as "pass"ed.

"Pass" says, in part, "A passed card is not considered to be trashed or discarded by the player passing it and it is not considered to be gained by the player receiving it."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The key is that a passed card isn't considered to be gained. Watchtower can respond to anything that allows you or forces you to gain a card, but Masquerade passes a card instead of gains one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. It's no defense against Masquerade (which still isn't an Attack, so that's fair enough). It is, however, pretty good against Swindlers, Saboteurs and the like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see that it helps any against Saboteur, and it's not much better against Swindler, but it's absolutely dandy against Witch, Torturer, Ambassador, Familiar, and Mountebank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Goldfarb wrote:
I can't see that it helps any against Saboteur, and it's not much better against Swindler, but it's absolutely dandy against Witch, Torturer, Ambassador, Familiar, and Mountebank.

Put the new card gained from Saboteur into your hand. Swindler is at its best when turning Copper into Curses, which you may instead trash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan O'Donnell
United Kingdom
Brockenhurst
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreedyAlgorithm wrote:
Put the new card gained from Saboteur into your hand.

Watchtower doesn't let you put a gained card into your hand. The best it can do is put it on top of your deck, which may still be better than in the discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pants Dance
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Citizen Psmith wrote:
GreedyAlgorithm wrote:
Put the new card gained from Saboteur into your hand.

Watchtower doesn't let you put a gained card into your hand. The best it can do is put it on top of your deck, which may still be better than in the discard pile.

by 'into your hand' I am pretty sure he means on top of your deck (which is practically into your hand) you wouldn't trash it because its still a useful card most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than gain a non-useful card you would probably just not gain any card at all. Saboteur allows that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
h r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for explaining the obvious. Though no one said anything about gaining a non-useful card.

You could also gain a useful card, such as silver perhaps, and put it directly on top of the deck instead of waiting to shuffle. Watchtower allows that. You could even choose to play your watchtower to draw that silver on your turn, since you know it's next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.