Subject: Feature Request - Save me from the Delete button! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Sasser
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
Simply adding an "Are you sure you wish to delete this entry?" to the Geeklist administration. I know I have done it a couple times and have seen other people do it as well.

One click deletes are great, but NOT next to the "Comment" button.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a great article about humane user interface design in one of the recent IEEE mags. It talks about the fact that we are conditioned to confirm any dialog that appears because of excessive use of such confirmations.

The proposed solution was to never confirm anything, but always allow the action to be undone. In your example, recently deleted items should be available via an "undelete" link that allows the user to sift through the garbage (most recent first, in this case would be helpful).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you had the undelete button I think database wise you would have to have some sort of experation time as to when the "junk" would be perminantly deleted. No use clogging up the database with data that was deleted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, either automatically purging or some sort of "empty trash" function was suggested. The point the article was making as that confirmation dialogs are not user friendly ways to solve irretrievable data situations. In fact, they are pretty poor solutions.

To give you an example, I was doing some work while doing a background task. I touch type pretty quick, so when a dialog came up asking me to confirm or deny something, I just so happened to be hitting a key it accepted.

I had no idea what it was I accepted/declined.

Why do programmers assume that I'm going to be sitting around waiting for there dialog/confirmation? Especially during long background tasks? System Modal is *not* a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.