Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Streetsmart Dan
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the seventh BGG Arkham Horror Play By Forum game. This will be my third time moderating an Arkham Horror game over the internet, and my first on BGG.

Post Typography
* Normal text for discussions, etc.
* Italics for flavor text/fluff. This is optional, but encouraged.
* Bold for in-game moves and actions.

Images
Please use images in your post to identify your character when you post. It helps people keep track of who everyone is. I will post banners of the players once everyone has chosen their investigator.

Subscribe to the thread!
I will usually refer to everyone by their character name. For the sake of game speed, conditional orders are a great way to keep things moving along unless you check in frequently.

Game Type
We will be a playing a 4 player scenario that I have come up with:

Fast Times at Miskatonic U.
Arkham's brightest minds were all in attendance for a special lecture from none-other than Professor Armitage. He was discussing the latest reports of an expedition to South America, and how it was of significance importance to everyone present. Suddenly, a thunderstorm started and the lights went out!

Meanwhile, on the other side of town, rookie cop Tommy Muldoon was investigating Hibb's Roadhouse when all of a sudden he was surrounded by the most bizarre sights he'd ever witnessed in his 18 years...

I will do all the moderation and also play as an investigator. Cards will be drawn from the following expansions: Innsmouth Horror, Kingsport Horror, The King in Yellow. The base game board and Kingsport Horror expansion board will be used. Personal stories will be used. Injury/Madness cards will also be used. Relationship cards will not be used.

Special Rules
The initial Mythos card is "Raining Cats and Dogs," with an open gate to Lost Carcossa at Independence Square.

Character Choice and Character-specific rules
One player must choose Tommy Muldoon. Tommy begins the game delayed in the first region of Unknown Kadath. Tommy's player may elect to not take the 2 random Common items (or his 1 Unique item) in exchange for starting with Foolishness as an ally.

The other players may select their own investigator from this list of people who were attending a lecture in the Library:
Amanda Sharpe, Harvey Walters, Kate Winthrop, Mandy Thompson, Monterey Jack, Norman Withers, Rita Young.
These 3 players all start at the Library.
Any one student (Amanda, Kate, Mandy, or Rita) investigator at the Library may choose to forgo two random Common items or 1 Unique item to start with Professor Armitage as an ally.
Any one investigator may forgo one of their random possessions for an Axe, found in the Library stairwell.
Aside from that Axe (and Monterey's two fixed possession weapons), no investigator at the Library will be dealt a weapon from the Common item deck for their initial draw. Replacement cards will be drawn instead. (Tommy is not affected by this rule.)

If an investigator is devoured the player chooses a replacement from the remaining investigators, who will start at their "normal" starting location.

Ancient One
Chaugnar Faugn

Invited Players
Invited players come from this thread. If you haven't done so already, please add yourself to the bottom if you are interested in joining a game like this in the future.

Spirit of 70
Helmgar - IN
jgt7771 - IN
Moogle - IN
Elderbree TM - Alternate 2
MikeS8i2 - Alternate 3

The players at the top of the list will have 48 hours [deadline: WED 20:00 GMT -7] to join before alternates are added.

---------------------------
Special thanks to:
dukeofearl for setting the standard for the Arkham Horror PBF games and for supplying all the necessary files
coltsfan76 for the inspiration by his Battlestar Galactica PBF games
sleepybrett for the "investigator sheet" part of the board images
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siu Kee Lee
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite an interesting scenario. Please consider me IN for alternative.

Why Young Zoog though?

Also, I am assuming there is no Guardian or Herald, only Chaugnar Faugn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Streetsmart Dan
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moogle wrote:
Quite an interesting scenario. Please consider me IN for alternative.

Why Young Zoog though?

Also, I am assuming there is no Guardian or Herald, only Chaugnar Faugn?

No Herald/Guardian. I chose the Zoog because I like allies, so I wanted to add some. And I figured the Zoog would be a good choice for an ally found in another world. The wiki says Zoogs come from Lost Carcossa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JGT
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcosa's on the Dunwich Board. Is this using DH Other Worlds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Streetsmart Dan
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgt7771 wrote:

Thanks for catching that! I would like to play with the Kingsport board, so I'm switching the location to Unknown Kadath, and I'm switching the ally to Foolishness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JGT
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
streetsmartdan wrote:
jgt7771 wrote:

Thanks for catching that! I would like to play with the Kingsport board, so I'm switching the location to Unknown Kadath, and I'm switching the ally to Foolishness.

HEH.

Okay, I'm in. This is my first attempt at PBEM, so what do I do next?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Streetsmart Dan
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the game! I'll mark you as IN, and in the meantime, you can list which investigator(s) you'd like to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JGT
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm used to just drawing randomly, so I rolled a die three times for "preference":

1. Tommy
2. Rita
3. Amanda
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Streetsmart Dan
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is preferred, investigator selection will be random. I mentioned "choose your own investigator" because I was trying to follow the format of the official AH scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JGT
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha. Whatever the group wants. If it's random, I'll take whatever is "rolled" for me. If we're choosing, you have my list, but I'll defer down my list if someone else makes the same choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Sallwasser
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Streetsmart Dan
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
helmgar wrote:
Count me in

Which do you vote for: random investigators, or do you want to pick?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm down for participating in a PBF even if it's the next go around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Streetsmart Dan
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryd Pickles wrote:
I'm down for participating in a PBF even if it's the next go around.

There's a couple people on the waiting list. We're looking for more game moderators:
streetsmartdan wrote:
Invited Players
Invited players come from this thread. If you haven't done so already, please add yourself to the bottom if you are interested in joining a game like this in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Please count me in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siu Kee Lee
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have fun you all! I'll be watching closely goo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Streetsmart Dan
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moogle wrote:
Have fun you all! I'll be watching closely goo.

Ok, feel free to post observations/point out mistakes i'm making/etc in this thread :-)

Everyone, please vote for either Random investigator selection or Chosen by player. Also, should we go with the original plan of choosing our own investigators from the list above, which one(s) do you choose?

Votes
JGT - no preference
me - no preference, but leaning toward Random
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for Random as well. It'll be faster than us choosing, especially if we wind up having to negotiate who gets which investigator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JGT
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you still want to stick to the scenario, randomly select one of us to be Tommy, then randomly select Investigators "from the University" for the rest of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Streetsmart Dan
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, the player who rolls lowest will take their turn last and will be Tommy:

Spirit of 70: ___ 54 = 9
jgt7771: ______ 35 = 8
streetsmartdan: 34 = 7
Helmgar: ______ 14 = 5

Investigator selection: (Please choose one)
Spirit of 70 (going first): Rita Young or Kate Winthrop
jgt7771 (second): Mandy Thompson or Amanda Sharpe
streetsmartdan (third): Norman Withers or Monterey Jack
Helmgar (going fourth): Tommy Muldoon

Considering we are probably going to be light on weapons in this scenario, I'll definitely choose to be Indiana Jones, er, Monterey Jack!

Additional questions:
Spirit of 70 & jgt7771, do either of you want Professor Armitage as an ally? If yes, will you sacrifice 2 common items, or will you sacrifice 1 unique item? Also, will either of you sacrifice 1 card (your choice) to get the Axe?

Helmgar, do you want Foolishness as an ally? If yes, will you sacrifice 2 common items, or will you sacrifice 1 unique item?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JGT
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take Amanda. I'll sacrifice my Common Item for the Axe if you or Spirit of 70 doesn't want it. (If Rita is chosen, both her Story and Monterey's Story require monster trophies so y'all might need it more than I would.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Streetsmart Dan
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've already got a gun and a bullwhip, so one of you two can take the axe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Streetsmart Dan
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hmm, response time is longer than I expected. Anyone got some suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Sallwasser
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I've been traveling on business. I'll sacrifice the 2 common items for Foolishness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JGT
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first time at this, so I have no former experience whatsoever. I wouldn't feel right starting up Amanda before the First Player drew cards (or even decided whom to be), so I'm pretty much in a holding pattern until I can actually do something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.