Axis & Allies Europe 1940» Forums » Rules

Subject: German bonus at peace with Russia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
coolrunner coolrunner
Denmark
flag msg tools
hi

Does the German player get his bonus from the russian german trade agreement from the bank, or from the russian player´s IPC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Corbett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The bank
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arnar sveinsson
Iceland
hafnafjordur
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Historical it should be from Russian player, because Russia did give Germany a hole bunch of oil and corn in peace agreement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Soviets didn't "give" Germany oil and grain. It was traded for various military and industrial equipment and plans for other items.

At any rate, all National Objective IPCs come from the bank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave de Vil
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The balance was very much in Germany's favour.

It has been calculated that Germany got far more from this agreement than they ever did by invading Russia, even after having taken over the Ukraine and 3/5ths of Soviet industry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Angry Martian wrote:
The balance was very much in Germany's favour.

It has been calculated that Germany got far more from this agreement than they ever did by invading Russia, even after having taken over the Ukraine and 3/5ths of Soviet industry.

Wow, really? I'm not doubting you, I'm just earnestly curious about this calculation. Can you point me to a book or two that discusses this? I'd much appreciate it - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. The Strategy is called "Scorched Earth" and basically means that the Russians destroyed anything that could be of value to the German. That means food, oil, equipment, industry etc. Its a long 3000 miles to Moscow if you cannot subsist on the territory you captured. The strategy was quite old anyway; Napoleon fell to the exact same strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet in Axis & Allies, if two enemies alternately take and retake a contested territory, they both get the territory's IPCs. In reality such a territory would be devastated and neither should get its IPCs. It would make more sense, then, to put the Collect Income Phase at the start of each player's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the idea is to encourage aggressive play which generally leads to a more interesting game than overly defensive stacks-of-doom stalemates.

Edit: At the cost of realism that is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.