Subject: Tactics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Curtis
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the tactic on a leadership card affect all units within the ZOC of the commander - or only the units ordered by the leadership card?

If a unit is ordered and, in moving, moves out of the leaders ZOC would it still be affected by the tactic or not? (assuming the tactic is 'after command')

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Curtis
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robb Stark - Young Wolf - his tactic is something along the lines of "All enemy units engaged with a friendly unit suffer a hit" This can be used Before or After Command.

The tactic will be used after command and I use this card to order two units in Robb's ZoC

1) A unit not ordered by this card but in Robbs ZoC is engaged with an enemy unit - does the tactic apply?

2) A unit is ordered by this card, moves, remains in ZoC, engages an enemy - tactic definitely applies in this case.

3) A unit is ordered by this card, moves out of ZoC, engages an enemy - does the tactic apply in this case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Curtis
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 16 of the rulebook has this very easy to miss section - I missed it for a long time:

"The effects of tactics and commands are limited to affecting units
in a commander’s Zone-of-Control (ZOC) of the commander the
card is played on."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rynosseros wrote:
Robb Stark - Young Wolf - his tactic is something along the lines of "All enemy units engaged with a friendly unit suffer a hit" This can be used Before or After Command.

The tactic will be used after command and I use this card to order two units in Robb's ZoC

1) A unit not ordered by this card but in Robbs ZoC is engaged with an enemy unit - does the tactic apply?

2) A unit is ordered by this card, moves, remains in ZoC, engages an enemy - tactic definitely applies in this case.

3) A unit is ordered by this card, moves out of ZoC, engages an enemy - does the tactic apply in this case?

Well, this is one of those questions. There is no answer or word from the designer, who has apparently been teleported back to the mothership.

I would play that it can affect all units in the commander's ZOC as the card is played, no matter that the tactic triggers after command and some units may have moved out of ZOC. They still got the order, so to speak.

*Edit* Designer answered below. Tactics affect the entire board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rak5632 wrote:
Hey guys,

Actually Robb's ability does affect all friendly units.

Unit and Commit abilities on a Commander card (which I think is being mistakenly referred to as a tactic) are not the same as Commands or Tactics (on a Leadership card). Therefore, they do not abide by the same ZOC restriction.

Thanks!

Rob

So, with this clarification in mind, how do we determine what are tactics?

Because now it looks like the rulebook has a serious error.

Just to be clear, we are talking about a set of commander-specific leadership cards and on page 8 of the rulebook you can clearly see the part of the card that we are discussing labeled as the "Tactic Box." Later on in the rulebook, it mentions tactics being limited to a Leader's ZOC.

Now, either the rulebook is wrong or you are wrong. In either case, the "official" answer only leads to further confusion. Maybe you were thinking that the question had to do with a commander ability as listed on the commander card and not the tactic box as listed on Robb Stark's leadership cards?

Rob, please continue to support this game. If you look through the comments here, you will see many instances of people rating the game lower because of rule issues. These are not unwarranted claims. I know that I personally don't need "official" answers, but, really, there are quite a few potential fans who would like to see official clarifications.

Also, can you please get someone to release corrected versions of scenarios 6 and 10?

Rob Kouba, the designer, answered below. Tactics affect the whole board.

Whew! Glad we got that settled once and for all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Curtis
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I'm more confused now.

I was definitely referring to what is referred to everywhere as a Tactic on a Leadership card as pictured on page 8 of the rules and not an ability on a Commander card (as pictured on page 12 of the rules and has sections referred to as Unit and Commit abilities).

I think though I can answer my own question with the information that we have:

Tactics affect units within ZoC of a commander. The tactic in question is "All enemy units engaged with a friendly unit suffer a hit". I'm assuming that whether a unit was ordered by the leadership card or not is irrelevant. The Tactic will affect all units within ZoC of the commander when executed. This Tactic can be executed before or after command. So if I execute it After Command and a unit has moved outside of Robbs ZoC it will not be affected by the tactic.

In summary:

YES

YES

NO if tactic executed After Command but YES if tactic executed Before Command.

How does that sound?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Kouba
United States
Franklin
OH
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol.

For some reason, a quick read of the thread yielded in my mind something different. I am deleting the above response to avoid confusion. Here is the easy answer (now that I discerned the question):

Treat the sentence on page 16 (referred to earlier in this thread) as if it did not include tactics. Most tactics do not even rely on this range and those that do already refer to ordered units when I wanted them to be in this range.

I will update the FAQ when able to include this and the scenario updates.

Thanks for keeping me honest.

Hopefully one or two of you will be able to challenge me at Days of Ice and Fire!

Have a good one.

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Curtis
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for answering!

So a tactic such as the one above applies to every unit on the battlefield unless the tactic refers to ordered units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.