Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Akward situation arrises, what should one do? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vanja Grujic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, here is what happened in one recent game. We were six, playing Cylon Leader + 2 Cylons. One of the cylons made an error in the beginning, was discovered and had to reveal. Now, sleeper agent phase happened, and Cylon needed to pass his Sleeper loyalty so someone. He tossed the card to another player, which flipped in air and landed face-up: it was a Cylon card. Now, we know that there was only 1 Cylon from beginning and who is the new Cylon.
Also, Cylon leader which is on Cylon location plays, lets say, Scientific Research and we remember that it was against the rules only after the skill is passed.

Or, in mid-game you realize that you accidentally shuffled in both old and new Investigative Committee.

How would you react in these situation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Cylon was stupid to carelessly toss the card; his loss. Sucks to be the new Cylon...
2. If the Skill Check has already been played, move on, and remember next time.
3. Play all ICs in hand as new-type ICs. Remove old ICs as they are drawn or played. If all players are o.k. with replacing old ICs from hand with new draws, that would also work.

The most important thing is to keep the game moving. Unless it happens in the first round, usually there's been too much time invested to scrap the whole game and start over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:
1. Cylon was stupid to carelessly toss the card; his loss. Sucks to be the new Cylon...

I don't think it's fair to punish the recipient of the card because the person passing it was reckless. Showing your loyalty card is against the rules but technically it was the person passing the card who broke the rule.

Since the sleeper phase had just happened, I would just collect the sleeper cards again and redeal them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:

The most important thing is to keep the game moving. Unless it happens in the first round, usually there's been too much time invested to scrap the whole game and start over.

I would consider shuffle and reassign the 2nd cylon card along with the rest of the sleeper agent cards if there's a more forgiving atmosphere. Everyone gets one. Otherwise, just move on. Not everyone takes instruction well. In co-op games with a traitor, I tend to allow more lattitude for newbies. One case invovled someone asking what to do as a cylon after all of the sleeper cards have been dealt out, but before any of the cylons were revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a similar situation arise with a player that wasn't very familiar with the game.
He was Boomer, and after the sleeper phase there was a lot of talk about the possibility of him being a cylon. After he denied it, someone said something like "Well, you're just going to have to prove it."
So what does he do? He starts turning over all of his loyalty cards to prove that he's not a cylon. He mistook our discussion as some formal accusation process and that the other players were instructing him to turn over his loyalty cards.
Whoops!
We stopped him after he turned over the second card, so nobody knew if the third card was human or cylon. Because of this, we decided to continue with the game since there would still be some doubt as to whether or not he was human.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanja Grujic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
pseudotheist wrote:

I don't think it's fair to punish the recipient of the card because the person passing it was reckless. Showing your loyalty card is against the rules but technically it was the person passing the card who broke the rule.

Since the sleeper phase had just happened, I would just collect the sleeper cards again and redeal them.

This is what we did, with randomly choosing the Cylon "type" again. Sucked for me as I was Cylon in like 5 games in a row, and in second dealing I got the Cylon card and sooo wanted to be Human for once ...

@pseudotheist - yes, I tend to get the game moving. We did have to restart twice so far.

Once in first voting a new player accidentally played 2 cards in Skill Check faceup, and both were negative one. As it was first voting we decided to re-start, and it turned out that he was human. (but misunderstood Bill Adama's ability ).

Another occasion was when, on second turn and too many negatives in 4 player game (with me as Cylon Leader) we realized that I accidently dealt Cylon loyalties to everybody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
I don't think it's fair to punish the recipient of the card because the person passing it was reckless.

Technically, I think of it as punishing the team of the Cylon who passed the card; new Cylon just gets fallout for being on the same team. But yeah, I guess you know that all the other players have 2 human cards, so you can just pick up that card, collect one from everybody and re-deal. Better solution, but I didn't think of it off the top of my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing is that even if the revealed cylon player was careless enough to finger his cylon ally (in a way that suggests it wasn't intentional) the other players still don't know for sure that he isn't just acting. Turning the card over eliminates that possibility and gives players access to information that they should be able to obtain no matter how poorly the other team plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the original cylon who flipped his card at someone was making a strategic play. He was trying to show his disregard for the card to throw off the humans. In this case his plan backfired as the cylon loyalty card flipped up.

I see no reason to pick the cards back up and redeal loyalty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Walkley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Grujah wrote:
He tossed the card to another player, which flipped in air and landed face-up: it was a Cylon card.
How would you react in these situation?

If someone carelessly threw the cards of any of my games around they could expect some strong words or, if they were a repeat offender, be told to leave and never come back. It is just disrespectful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.