BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » Wales

Subject: All Day Boardgaming - Saturday 23rd October, Cardiff rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lianne Wilson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
WHEN: 9am until 10pm on Saturday the 23rd of Cotober
WHERE: 4th Floor (Gareth Edwards and Nelson Mandela rooms) of Cardiff University Students' Union on Park Place (will be signposted in the building on the day)
WHAT: All Day Boardgaming. Board games, card games, Mafia/Are You A Werewolf? and miscellaneous gaming fun on a casual basis throughout the day.

Hi there! I'm Lianne, the Events Officer of Cardiff University RAWSOC - Roleplaying and Wargaming Society (we also love board and card games, surprise, surprise). We're having a boardgaming and cardgaming day that I'd like to invite you all to.

You DO NOT NEED to be a student, a member of the society or a Cardiff-resident to come a long. Just bring a few games (if you can) and come along and enjoy yourselves.

We're asking a small admission fee to cover the costs of the society, as follows:

Members: FREE!
Students and other concessions such as unemployed: £1
Other: £2

Alternatively, if you want to, you can join the society on the day (you DO NOT NEED to be a student to join) for £2 students and £4 non-students, which means you'll be able to attend events like this (which we hold regularly) for free in future.

Please feel free to ask any questions here or on our forum, which you can also visit for further details and to see other events we run.

Hope some of you can make it! See you there.
Lianne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lianne Wilson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Some of the games we'll have on the day include:

Dominion (with expansions and promos)
Betrayal at the House on the Hill
Fluxx (and variants)
Ticket to Ride (Europe)
Falling
Articulate!
Sorceror's Cave
Revenge of the B-Movie (both)
Red Dragon Inn
Werewolves of Miller's Hollow (and expansions)
Are you the Traitor?
Pandemic (and expansion)
Cash 'n' Guns

...and those are just the ones I'm bringing personally!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
badge
I like unusual themes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lianne,

I would love to be there but I am meeting up with friends. When are you having the next one and do you meet regulary?

Calvin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lianne Wilson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey, Calvin.

The next one hasn't been scheduled yet but it will be either just before Christmas or in January. We'll be arranging it very shortly, however, and I'll be announcing it as soon as we've got it confirmed.

We do meet regularly. We have a pub social with small boardgames and card games every Wednesday from 8pm until closing in the Ernest Willows on City Rd. We also have a roleplaying afternoon on Sundays, but that's less boardgamey so I won't bang on about that unless you're interested.

We aim to have All Day Boardgames every one or two months.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cerys
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be there! I already posted on your forums just the other day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darren williams
Wales
maesteg
bridgend
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good, what's the parking like aroud the union as the paying car parks in Cardiff are OTT to say the least?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cerys
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you planning to be there the whole day? I can think of 3 options:

1. Senghennydd Road, at the back of the union, has pay and display (green ticket boxes), but it might be short stay only (max 5 hours).

2. There are a lot of residential streets off and around Senghennyd Road, so if you don't mind driving around for a while (and walking back to the union) then you might find a free space on one of those. The street parking is about fifty percent permit zones and fifty percent free-for-all.

3. Cathays train station car park is also off Senghennydd Road, right next to the union, and presumably they offer all day parking, but I've never used it myself and I don't know what they charge.

That's the extent of my knowledge.. maybe someone else has more information?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darren williams
Wales
maesteg
bridgend
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weatherburn wrote:
Are you planning to be there the whole day? I can think of 3 options:

1. Senghennydd Road, at the back of the union, has pay and display (green ticket boxes), but it might be short stay only (max 5 hours).

2. There are a lot of residential streets off and around Senghennyd Road, so if you don't mind driving around for a while (and walking back to the union) then you might find a free space on one of those. The street parking is about fifty percent permit zones and fifty percent free-for-all.

3. Cathays train station car park is also off Senghennydd Road, right next to the union, and presumably they offer all day parking, but I've never used it myself and I don't know what they charge.

That's the extent of my knowledge.. maybe someone else has more information?

Thanks, if I can make it, quite likely early till mid afternoon, probably cross my fingers and look at the street parking.
Darren.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lianne Wilson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
weatherburn wrote:
I will be there! I already posted on your forums just the other day

Excellent! And kudos for joining the forums, we are verifiably awesome.

darren williams wrote:
Sounds good, what's the parking like aroud the union as the paying car parks in Cardiff are OTT to say the least?

Hey, thanks for the interest! As for parking, I'm not a car owner, so I'm not the best qualified to answer but all of Cerys's options sound about right to me. I think option 3 is probably the best as I believe you can park in the station car park there free of charge.

Let me check with some drivers at the pub tonight and I'll get back to you with better info, OK? Ta!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lianne Wilson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
OK, I have reliable info that the car park right next to the Union (the one at Cathays train station that Cerys mentioned) is free on weekends. So you'll be able to park there all day, which is nice.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darren williams
Wales
maesteg
bridgend
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All good news and looking quite likely I'll be there will bring Stone Age, Thebes, Drakon, Buccaneer, For Sale, Carcassonne at least and will have a few to sell or trade as well as long as that's o.k.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Miller
Wales
Swansea
Neath Port Talbot
flag msg tools
badge
I iz a soot sprite.
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Stone Age in the last Games Day would love to have another go - playing it right now on Yucata.

I'd like to come along if I can - I'll probably bring a few games. It's been a few years since I was last in the union I'll have to resist the temptation to call in The Taf.

For parking I think the car parking spots around Cathays park and the museum are fairly reasonably priced last time I was there - anyone know what they charge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cerys
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welshmilla wrote:
For parking I think the car parking spots around Cathays park and the museum are fairly reasonably priced last time I was there - anyone know what they charge?

Those are all pay and display... prices are on the council website:
Up to 1 hour £1.50
Up to 2 hours £2.50
Up to 5 hours £3.00

From http://www.cardiff.gov.uk/content.asp?nav=2870,4048,4194,544...

Edit: Woops I gave bad advice! I checked when I was walking past this morning, and all the parking around the university (Senghennydd Road and Museum Avenue etc) is long stay, so the prices are actually:
Up to 1 hour £1.50
Up to 2 hours £2.50
Up to 10 hours £3.50*

I don't know what that asterisk leads to.

Well done Lianne for finding out that the train station car park is free at weekends! Do you know your way around the area Darren? Give a shout if you need more specific directions.

I'll bring my games (Arkham Horror, Carcassonne, Catan, Ticket to Ride: Europe)

I'd especially like to learn/play: Dominion, Pandemic, The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow, but am open to pretty much anything
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lianne Wilson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
jethro wrote:
All good news and looking quite likely I'll be there will bring Stone Age, Thebes, Drakon, Buccaneer, For Sale, Carcassonne at least and will have a few to sell or trade as well as long as that's o.k.

Yup, selling and trading is no problem, though it's not a big part of the day or anything. I might even bring a couple I'm looking to get rid of too.

Welshmilla wrote:
I'd like to come along if I can - I'll probably bring a few games. It's been a few years since I was last in the union I'll have to resist the temptation to call in The Taf.

Sweet, it'll be good to have you! And don't worry, I'm sure we can fit a drink or two in somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.