Subject: Punt ? Kick ? American oddities... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
Punt, Kick ? I'am a little confused.

Why there is difference between punt or kick ?
As a French gamer, I know more the rugby than the American football.
In Rugby, a kick is…a kick. There is no punt !

laughI am amazed by this fact : in American football you need 2 players to kick the ball.
One for the punt (the punter), and one for the kick-off (the kicker).

In rugby, you need one man : the half-fly, also called simply…the kicker.

Who can explain me that ?

In Gridiron Master, who can explain to me the difference between the “punt sheet” and the “kick-off sheet” ?

Same question between the “Field Goal sheet” and the “converts sheet”.

If you help me, I promise you a lot of six 6 on your future die-rolls !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
A field goal is done by a kicker. From the current position on the field of play, attempt to put the ball through the uprights for 3 points.

The play is:
-o- Ball snapped to holder
-o- Holder puts ball down on ground, supported loosely by finger
-o- Kicker runs to and kicks the ball
-o- If the ball does not go through the uprights, the opposing team takes it over from the spot of the kick

The exact same thing is done from the 2-yard-line for a single extra point after a 6-point touchdown.

A punt is done by a punter. When the current position is untenable, the punter sends the ball downfield so that the opposing team takes it over much further from the goal line.

The play is:

-o- Ball is snapped to the punter
-o- Punter drops the ball, kicks it (ideally close to) the end zone
-o- Other team fields the ball and usually tries to advance it. (They can waive the right to advance the ball in exchange for not getting tackled and possibly losing the ball.)

The physical movements are very different; it is rare in the current era for the punter or kicker to play any other role on the team, though, for example, a combination quarterback/punter can accomplish a fair bit of trickery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a successful score (or at the beginning of the half), there is a third type of kick: the kickoff.

Ball is placed on a tee, kicker runs up to it and kicks it towards the other end of the field. (In adverse weather conditions someone may need to put a finger on the ball to make sure it stays on the tee.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is *not* the way the play is supposed to work:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke DeWitt
United States
Highlands Ranch
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In brief:

A punt is when a player drops the ball to his foot and kicks it. Very similar to all most all rugby kicking action I have seen late at night on TV.

A Kick-Off and a Field goal are kicked with a stationary ball standing up on its point while on the ground. Sometimes if the holder muffs it the desired state of stationary will not be achieved.

Conversions or Point After Touchdown (PAT). Are similar to Field Goals but the play always sets up at the 2 (except for cases of penalties). PATs are worth 1 point, Field Goals are worth 3 points.

I'm sure that is clear as mud but let me know if you need any clarification.

Luke
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add, it is not necessary to have 2 players for this position. It is probable that a team will have 1 player do both jobs.

In the Canadian game it is more common to have 1 player do both punts (drop kicks) and place"kick"ing (field goals, kick offs). Mainly because our rosters are much smaller and we can't waste a spot on having 2 kickers. Just wait til you learn the differences between Canadian and American around onside kicks and the oddity in the CFL that is the "kick it out of the endzone" play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
OK, thanks for your answers.

1) Punt, Kick-off, and Goal-kick are not made in the same manner. Ok, it is right clear now.thumbsup

2) But I still don't understand why the game differentiates between "punt return" and "kick-off return" ....shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke DeWitt
United States
Highlands Ranch
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reasons for the difference in "punt returns" and "kick-off" returns is because the formations of these plays are completely different.

In Kick-Offs the players are spread across the field and the ball usually is kicked farther down the field. There is no pressure on the kicker for the kick to be blocked. As the teams run down the field they are spread out and cover the field differently then what you see in a punt.

During Punts the team has to hike the ball to a punter who is getting rushed by the defense in an attempt to block the kick. The kicking team has men that are defending against this action. So that when the kick is away and the teams turn to head toward the returning player the defense and offense tend to be more jumbled up then during a kick-off.

Hope this helps,

Luke
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.