Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that some auctions say that the buyer pays actual shipping. How does this typically work in practice? If a bidder wins the game, does he pay for the game immediately (via Paypal) and then pay the actual shipping after the game has shipped off? Or do sellers normally calculate shipping and get full payment (game price + shipping) before shipping? If so, how does the seller calculate the price - using the online USPS or UPS calculator?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The seller can calculate the price by using a scale and then the online calculators.

Or if they don't have a scale, they have to go the post office, get it weighed and then they can get the actual shipping via the post office or the online calculators.

Usually the seller wants the payment in one bundle - you get charged fees per transaction and then usually a percentage on top of that. So one transaction is less hassle over all. Plus, the buyer could pay for the game, and then once it's shipped, not pay shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a postal scale, so I can calculate exact postage (and buy it online after I've been paid).

http://www.usps.com/tools/calculatepostage/welcome.htm?from=...

The USPS site only lets you buy Priority postage online, if you buy it through PayPal you have other options. Priority mail is discounted and gives you free delivery confirmation, for other options (parcel post, media mail) delivery confirmation $.19 online.

Another option is flat rate Priority, which can be good for long distances. Then you know what the postage will be, without having to weigh them.

So, yes, I calculate postage, get paid, print my labels, and drop my packages off at the post office.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you print your labels at home, then you can tell them to drop by and pick up your packages. Saves me a lot of time rather than carting them all down to the post office.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
If you print your labels at home, then you can tell them to drop by and pick up your packages. Saves me a lot of time rather than carting them all down to the post office.

I think this only works with Priority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you have one priority package (or international priority) then they'll come by for all your packages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
As long as you have one priority package (or international priority) then they'll come by for all your packages.

Poor wording on my part. I should have said, "You have to have a Priority package to use this feature".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.