Popular Tags: [View All]
Heath Collins
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a semi-review of the game, based on a solo game I played last night. I'll post a real review after I have the chance to play with some friends this weekend

-------

On a whim, I invited a bunch of friends to come over this coming weekend for a board game night. But then I realized that I'm pretty bored with all of the games I've got.

Then I remembered Last Night On Earth. I'd played it before, and it seems like something everyone would enjoy (I personally love it), so, I ran out to buy it. I went to three different stores, and no one had it.

I ended up having a conversation with the owner of the last store, woefully explaining my predicament. He said that it's in between printings right now, so that's probably why I hadn't been able to find it. Then, he showed me Invasion From Outer Space. Apparently, it just came out a few days ago, and he hadn't had the chance to try it himself yet. After debating with myself for quite some time, I caved and bought it.

To be honest, I wasn't that thrilled about the alien theme. Don't get me wrong, I love campy sci-fi movies, but aliens will never be zombies. But, I figured the gameplay would at least be fun if it was similar to LNOE.

So, after getting the game home, and reading through the rules to make sure I'm somewhat ready for my first real game, I decided to try a solo game. That way I could figure out how to resolve any issues that might come up ahead of time.

I played the Unleashed scenario, which actually worked pretty well for a solo game. Of course, this totally wasn't an official version of the game; basically, I gave myself less rounds to complete the scenario to make up for not having brains behind the Martians, I would always move the Martians (or SZB) closer to the nearest Human, and I would always play any Martian cards immediately when they were appropriate to use. I also didn't use the Console, because that would be really hard to do in a solo game. Instead, I let the Martians play any Martian Tech cards without having to pay.

It actually ended up being pretty epic. I guess I didn't shuffle the cards well enough, because I got two search cards immediately. And, on top of that, the SZB's weakness turned out to be Fire, and I had the Fire Breather as one of my characters. However, as the SZB and hoards of Martians descended on the House of Horrors, where the Fire Breather, Bearded Lady, and Contortionist were trapped, things started to get a bit hairy.

Eventually, the Contortionist and Bearded Lady were killed, and the Fire Breather was severely wounded. With just enough time left, the Ring Leader was able to find a bomb, dash across the board, and pass the bomb to the Fire Breather, who lit it, tossed it, and finished off the SZB.

Overall, I can tell this is going to be a great game, and I'm actually really glad I bought it. And what's great is that, when I finally manage to get Last Night On Earth, I'll be able to combine both sets into a massive game of epic awesomeness. The rulebook actually has some scenarios for both sets; either Zombies and Martians vs. Humans, or Zombies, Martians, and Humans against each other.

One of the really big improvements this time around are all of the options available to the Martians. When I'd play LNOE, nobody ever really wanted to be the zombies, because, other than the Zombie Cards, they pretty much play themselves. This time around, the baddies have Ray Guns, Martian Tech, Martian Champions, and Command Center full of nasty tricks at their disposal; there's a lot more room for strategy this time around.

Anyways, my first official game will be this weekend. I'll definitely post a full review afterwards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Fox
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Zombies initially will feel very brainless right out of the box. Once you do pick up LNOE, I highly suggest investing in some of it's awesome expansions. Growing Hunger and Survival of the Fittest give the most bang for the buck. Growing Hunger gives you a bunch of new cards, some new Heroes, and a couple new board pieces. Survival of the Fittest gives you alot of new rules and new card decks. Unique Items and Survival Tactics for the Heroes, and Grave Weapons for the Zombies. The Grave Weapons are arguably the best upgade for the Zombies, and after playing a couple sessions of the combined LNOE/IFOS, I'd say that they're all that keeps the Zombies in the game against both Martians and Heroes.

Plus there are several smaller expansions that you can get through Flying Frog's web store that add some new cards and scenarios into the LNOE experience.

:-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan W
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also there are a few free official scenarios on the Flying Frog website.

http://www.flyingfrog.net/lastnightonearth/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.