Tommaso Franco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking for a game with a strong theme about feudal Japan, with a short playing time and easy to teach even to casual gamers, and enjoyable from the first play. From what I've read, this one could be it.

However, I've some concers:
- Is it language independent? In the pictures, it looks like there is a lot of small text. Is it just flavor? Is the game playable even if you don't speak the language in which the cards are written?

- Is it easy to teach? I've read it plays in 60 to 90 minutes. Would you recommend it to casual gamers fond on Japan?

- I've read it is out of print. Does anybody know if it's going to be reprinted or should I start looking for a second-hand copy?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
The theme is definitely very strong and (from what little I know about the subject) quite accurate. However, there are a few times when theme and mechanics don't mesh together very well: for example, ninja warriors can break into your house and steal an army!
The game is NOT language independent. There is a LOT of essential text on the cards! I think you'd have a hard time playing it if you didn't know the language on the cards.
But if you actually know the card language, it's a relatively easy game to learn, and certainly wouldn't take more than 1.5 hours to play. It's good for fans of Japanese history, and good for casual gamers.
I'm not sure if it's currently out of print. It's been out of print before, and every few years, someone seems to do a re-print of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Pico de Regalados
Vila Verde
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to disagree in what concearns the language dependency. I myself have got the germna version and I play it with my portuguese friends who don't understand a single word of german.

there are about 4 different cards where it may be usefull to read the text, but if not, these get very familiar after two plays, you just really need to know what the card does, and that's not too complicated. It might be too much for casual players, but anyway, if you have the curiosity to play the game with perhaps some other friends of yours, or think that these casual players might commit to a more regular playing habit, you might want to think about it.

The only thing that might reaççy scare your friends back is the time that the game needs sometimes. So I'd say that it might not be very suitable for casual players, but wouldn' appoint the language dependency as the major factor for that.

Personally I like this game a lot and we used to play it a lot, in the meantime of course, new stuff seduces more of our time, but se still play it now and then, and it is still fun, and I have it for over 5 years now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommaso Franco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is some encouraging news. Maybe I'll think about it then, especially as it looks like the german edition can be found cheap. If cards with text are only few, a simple summary card for each player would do, IMHO.

Thank for your quick answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Cameron
Scotland
East Kilbride
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I picked up a German version, I know no German at all...so I need an English translation of both the rules & the cards. Is this available anywhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.