United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

The rules say that if no one selects the Explorer role then a tile is automatically flipped up. That's fine. However, what happened in our game was that near the end there were only a couple planet tiles left, so no one wanted to select the Explorer role. That meant the second Warlord never appears.

Is there a way to force the issue that we missed? Otherwise, we were thinking of adopting a house rule that, if all tiles have been flipped, but no one selects the Explorer role, whoever controls the throne places one at the end of the round.

We felt this would speed up the game near the end game both by creating more areas for people to capture and by allowing for more combat.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a tough time giving any extra advantages to the throne holder. If the tiles at the end are bad, then no one will pick them, and the throne holder will get to place tiles round after round, and obviously he will place bad tiles by everyone else and good tiles by himself. What about a rule that says "once all tiles have been revealed, and the Explorer role has not been selected for two rounds in a row, add the extra Warlord role regardless".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a problem giving an extra advantage to the throne holder. It may become more coveted, but then it becomes more expensive. You can either make an effort to get it, or conserve resources to do other things while everyone else is fighting for it.

I don't think just adding the Warlord role is enough for the end game. You'll want those extra tiles on the board for the potential VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a different way to use it would be to allow it to be either.

If the stack is empty, and warlord has already been chosen, Explorer may be chosen and used for either side. If used as Warlord, it is returned as Explorer next turn.

It's possible you've got sucky tiles left, and even 1 VP worth of planets might not be enough to pick Explorer. So let it be a second warlord, as chosen by the selector?

Although, if you add the $1/1VP to each unchosen role as per other variants, this issue will likely vanish.

Gerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
I think a different way to use it would be to allow it to be either.

If the stack is empty, and warlord has already been chosen, Explorer may be chosen and used for either side. If used as Warlord, it is returned as Explorer next turn.

It's possible you've got sucky tiles left, and even 1 VP worth of planets might not be enough to pick Explorer. So let it be a second warlord, as chosen by the selector?

Although, if you add the $1/1VP to each unchosen role as per other variants, this issue will likely vanish.

Yes, I think that would solve the issue quite nicely. Thanks!

EDIT: Yep, simply adding $1 to each unchosen role worked just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.