Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: wotw [+] [View All]
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Well, time has stretched a little longer than a week, but I'm proud to introduce
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
as our next Wolf of the Week. Take a read of the flavor here: http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/5628... to see what this upcoming mod has to offer.

byronczimmer wrote:
Howdy folks and sorry for the delay. I’m byronczimmer and a relative newcomer to the Werewolf scene, but we’ll get to that later.

First the boring stuff. I was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and lived in the same house my parents still own now. It was a small town – each year in high school had about 300 kids which I’m told is quite small. I was into computer games (on my awesome Commodore 64 that cost more than an iPod does now), which included both writing and playing them. I was into BBSes, which was the internet of the time and I was into some card and board games. My father loved bridge and my sister loved playing as the dummy, so I got the fundamentals of that on the living room floor in front of the fireplace. Many a night was spent reading thick tomes about how to play bridge well, reading that has served me well in trick taking games to this day. My grandmother in the next town over had Uncle Wiggly and Bunco and other classics and many a Sunday afternoon was spent playing such things on her floor as my parents and grandparents talked about adult things.

When I got to college age, I went to Cornell University. The first week we were all assigned to a small group for orientation. Mine was led by a sophomore in my dorm. When Friday night rolled around I was asked what I was doing and when I responded nothing (don’t drink, don’t smoke – what do you do?) she invited me to come to the CSSS – Cornell Strategic Simulation Society. Every Friday night for the remainder of my five years at Cornell was spent in Goldwin Smith Hall in an RPG campaign or playing board or card games. It was here I was introduced to Avalon Hill games and I made my first real board game purchases of Advanced Civilization and Diplomacy. I continued to explore the multitude of factions of the hobbies, to include LARPing (home grown and Vampire: The Masquerade which I was involved in the initial play test of prior to the first edition commercial release). About this time I hooked up with a Cornell employee who ran a play-by-mail game. I managed to reverse engineer his core mechanics in a day and for a while had one of the highest kill records in a game that had never had a fatality until I came on the scene. The game was Duel of a Different Color (seen here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Sm8900/play_by_mail_list) and maybe I need to look them up and see if it’s still running.

Post College I started my adult life as a movie theater manager and then after about two years of late nights and crappy schedules I got a real job as a computer programmer, which eventually relocated me to the DC metropolitan area. Gaming life has been a constant thread since college, and the specific game never really mattered. I tend to stay away from the war game crowd after trying a few and not finding them worth the time or investment.

Since moving to Virginia I’ve been active with multiple local group and make it a habit to participate in nearby conventions, of which we are blessed with many. This started with a small convention where I met my wife (Tad and Craig’s Excellent Party), of which we are now staff. We also attend other conventions where I’m a mere participant, including the Fan-Tek game rooms when those were active, Brunswick Games Day and the various Games Club of Maryland conventions, picnics and get-togethers.

So what’s this general gamer doing as Wolf of the Week? I only have 3 games played on Cassandra (two of them as substitutes!) and one game modded -- which wasn’t technically a Werewolf game! The reason I’m here is my involvement with “The Resistance” by Don Eskridge, another play test success story. About two years ago Don put out a call for play testers and proof readers of a game he’d come up with that was similar to basic werewolf with one important difference – the game could be played without a moderator. I’d recently discovered Werewolf as a party game and the idea resonated with me. I struck up a friendship with Don and helped him refine and focus his ideas. I printed out the play test kit made by GoldenTurkey and took it to some of those local conventions. The Werewolf crowd was interested but hesitant. Finally at four in the morning I got it to the table with a few die hards and they had a blast. When the kitchen staff could be heard clinking around to set up the morning buffet, I knew this was something special. Now it’s up for the Golden Geeks, is in the Ideal Gaming Library and keeps winning accolades. I’m proud to have been an active participant in the development and creation of the game and am truly pleased with Don and Travis’s success.

Concerning online play - when Raid1280 ran the first PBF game; I watched and acted as the records keeper with a Google spreadsheet. We’ve had a total of four online runs of the Resistance and that spreadsheet template has been used each time. I stepped up to co-mod Resistance #4 and Raid1280 set it up but then let me run with it. It was the first time we’d used Cassie and I learned a lot very quickly. Pete Vasi was a player and he was impressed with my flavor and moderation of Resistance #4 and asked if I’d be willing to put myself on the gallows as the next WotW. So… here I am.

Poll: Two truths and a lie:
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I have shared a meal with many famous food personalities, to include Alton Brown, Raymond Blanc, Jose Andres, and Beau MacMillan.
20.0% 1
I am bionic and susceptible to high magnetic fields.
40.0% 2
I am an elected official in my community government.
40.0% 2
Voters 5
This poll is now closed.   5 answers
Poll created by PeteVasi
Closes: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And... I'm all subscribed to this thread now so bring on the sentences with the '?'s at the end!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you eat an oreo cookie?
Are you a cat person or a dog person?
What is your favorite animal?
Did you have a pet growing up?
Your dream vacation?
Worst injury you've ever had?
Do you like camping?
Do you collect anything?
What's the strangest talent you have?
Do you have an innie or an outtie?
Teocalli Tamale or Hama Sushi?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valkerie32 wrote:
How do you eat an oreo cookie?

Now-a-days, I don't, because I pick my calories carefully. When I did, I would twist two of them apart and make a doublestuff with the ones that kept the kreme.

Quote:
Are you a cat person or a dog person?

Dogs are like small children - you need to give them attention every 8 hours or so.
Cats are like teenagers, you can leave them alone in the house for the weekend and they probably won't trash the place too bad.
Because of our convention schedule and other reasons, we have two wonderful cats.

Quote:
What is your favorite animal?

Wolves and the Big Cats (Panthers especially) both qualify.

Quote:
Did you have a pet growing up?

Many - Dogs, Cats, Rabbits

Quote:
Your dream vacation?

Today... Essen, and we're planning that for sometime in the future. After we do that we'll dream about something else.

Quote:
Worst injury you've ever had?

Ran into the edge of a table as a young one, splitting my skull open.
Hit by a car as a teenager while crossing the street on my bike.
2nd degree grease burns on both legs due to dropping a dutch oven full of flaming oil.
Nearly severed my left foot after falling down a flight of stairs.

You pick.

Quote:
Do you like camping?

Back in scouts, yes -- haven't been much since purchasing a house.

Quote:
Do you collect anything?

Games and LEGO.

Quote:
What's the strangest talent you have?

Seeing the forest for the trees.

Quote:
Do you have an innie or an outtie?

innie

Quote:
Teocalli Tamale or Hama Sushi?

Hama by far. TCEP, that annual convention I help staff, used to be held in Herndon VA and treking to Hama was one of the events. Indeed Hama was where I first entered a sushi restaurant and it took three consecutive trips to get up to the point where I was comfortable with the food, and I've been a sushi/sashimi lover ever since.

There are much better sushi places nearby than Hama now-a-days, and the convention moved to between DC and Baltimore, but given the choice, I'd go to Hama.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike [my hubcap] and I were thinking about going there for our anniversay dinner next week. One of the many things we miss about Reston.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hama used to be the only game in town, and they've either gone downhill or have been outclassed by recent additions.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=sushi&f=l&sll=38.940986,-77.33...

We've recently become partial to Ariake which is nearby.

Obi is nice in Reston Town Center, but avoid the mushrooms, my wife is convinced that they have made her sick more than once, though I'm fine with a complete raw plate from there.

Kumo just opened in a new shopping center just down the road from Hama and they have a very nice atmosphere and good food, though they're a bit pricey.

Matsutake has a great buffet if you're going for quantity over quality, and their buffet recently expanded to include a nice selection of soups, salads, fruits and cooked items as well.

I'm not as familiar with the stuff up on Elden Street, but may now have to go check them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And as long as we're talking Sushi, try heading into town to go to Sticky Rice in the north east. It's loud but they have some pretty awesome fusion sushi and where else can you order tater tots in a tin bucket?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raid1280 wrote:
What is your favorite thing about werewolf?

It's a social game, and each group forms their own norms and expectations. I studied small group communication in college (among other things) and Werewolf caters to that field very well. It is often fascinating to watch how silence in a given person can be perceived as guilt or innocence based on other player's actions or roles.

Quote:
Least favorite thing?

First is a need for a moderator, but that's usually doable.
Second is the random day-one lynching when there's little to no information available. I've witnessed social norms and likes/dislikes take over in early lynches AND night kills, so that an undesirable in a larger group is removed quickly.

Quote:
One thing you could change?

Both of the above are repaired in games like The Resistance, where there is no moderator and everyone is in until the end.

Quote:
Your biggest strength?

Adaptability

Quote:
Biggest weakness?

Procrastination... but let me get back to you later on this one.

Quote:
Favorite online wolf game so far? Why?

I have so few to choose from. Each has had its own charm of those I've played in. I liked the complicated "Fight for the Resistance" (nothing to do with the game of the same name) but came in too late to really be able to be useful. Resistance #3 was the only one I've played in and it was heart wrenching to see a double sabotage on the first mission and then a double support on a 'must sab'.

Quote:
One thing you would like to see here in wolf online?

I'd like to see more participation. A few players show up 30 minutes before lynch, make one post and a vote and call it a day. That's not social, but yet it holds everyone else captive.

Quote:
Top 5 favorite games period?

Race for the Galaxy
Puerto Rico
Agricola (though that is waning)
Innovation (possibly cult of the new)
RoboRally (I own three editions and keep the whole thing in a messenger bag)

Quote:
Top 5 favorite movies?

So, I used to be a theater manager, right? You'd think I'd be into movies. Nope. I watch them once and then move on.
So lets do the first five that come to mind and why:
The Matrix (first) - because of the questions it asked
Dark City - similar reasons
GhostBusters - infinitely quotable
Monty Python and the Holy Grail - same reason
Thomas Crowne Affair - this came out at a time when the Saint had just been movified, and I thought it did a much better job of the 'caper'.
Most recent Batman iteration - all wonderful and very good

Quote:
Have you played werewolf in real life?

Yes, in groups from about 13-30.

Quote:
Other hobbies?

LEGO
Computer Programming
Food - cooking, learning, exploring

Quote:
Sports?

I go to one or two professional sports events per year, usually when they are company sponsored or a friend with season tickets can't make the game and gifts them to us. I also watch the superbowl every year, but fastforward past all the parts with the green screen and the lines with numbers on it so I can see how Doritos are trying to sell their product this year.

Quote:
Music?

Techno, Electronica, Yanni, Lorenna McKennit
Used to play the oboe... that was a long time ago.

Quote:
Standard chess opening?

4 move mate and hope my opponent doesn't know what they're doing so we can play something more interesting.

Quote:
Favorite exercise?

Bicycling to work.

Quote:
5 Books you would take with you to a desert island for a year?

Bible
Koran
First two because I really need to read both cover to cover a hundred times.
Boy Scout Handbook - for survival reasons
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
The complete Oxford English Dictionary, unabridged...

The last one for two reasons -- first I get to learn every word ever made. Second, it's ready made fire starter material if I know I'm coming home after a year.

If I could sneak a sixth on I'd probably choose According to Hoyle or a big book of solitaire games, assuming I also had the foresight to bring a deck of cards.

Quote:
Top 5 atari games?

That tank game
Zaxxon
Didn't really get into console games until a bit later.

Quote:
Do movies make you cry?

UP was the saddest thing I've ever seen, and yes, it made me weep multiple times, both of joy and sadness.

Quote:
Funniest movie you've ever seen?

We just saw a Cinematic Titanic viewing of "Genocide". That, even with the riffs, was not the funniest.
I think a Fish Called Wanda made me stop breathing a few times -- but it's been a while.

Quote:
Ever played Bang?

Yes.

Quote:
Favorite role in Bang?
Least favorite role in Bang?

Sheriff/Renegade/Outlaw/Deputy in that order.

Quote:
If you could have one theme that would blow your mind in online wolf what would it be?

I have three:
Inception
Time Travel
Quantum Leap
The first two would required a lot of moderator fiat to ensure that the story got told properly. Time travel would require the ability to undo things in the past (or redo them), or have introduced such elements into the game in the first few rounds that required someone in the later rounds to perform the action. Inception would require going in multiple levels and almost having a game within a game. Quantum Leap would have (at least) one role that could hop bodies and override the player temporarily.

Quote:
What are your true feelings on Kaldar?

Who?

Quote:
If you could melt one wolfers face who would it be?

Raid1280

Quote:
Why?

He owes me a drink.

Quote:
What was your favorite halloween costume growing up?

The scarecrow outfit was itchy.
I liked the werewolf costume, and still do that often today.
I mostly like outfits that gave me full range of motion and didn't cover up my face.

Quote:
Favorite holiday and why?

Halloween, close to my birthday, the seasons change, legalized candy extortion.

Quote:
Favorite Christmas song?

Little Drummer Boy followed by the TransSiberian Orchestra's signature song.

Quote:
If you could buy one board game right now, at this exact moment, and play it with the perfect number of people what would it be?

Runebound Midnight. I get beat up every few months by my wife who wanted very badly to play it and we never picked up a copy.
A few months ago it would have been a complete set of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective - but now I have a complete set (along with gumshoe) so I can't say that anymore.

Quote:
Did you win?

I win if I get to keep the game after wards.

Quote:
If you could destroy all copies of one game in existence and abolish it from humanity's memories....which would it be? Why? Do you own a copy?

Games shouldn't be destroyed.

Quote:
Which emoticon do you think strikes fear into those seeing it?

thumbsdown

Quote:
Which emoticon makes you feel like using the bathroom?

soblue

Quote:
Do you feel like using the bathroom?

bio - brb

Quote:
If you had to use the bathroom right now, which emoticon would you take with you?

whistle

Quote:
If you could destroy all copies of one emoticon in existence and abolish it from humanity's memories....which would it be? Why?

What is up with the destruction?
whitetrainpurpletrainyellowtrainbluetraingreentrainredtrain
(and lets call that a hint on the game I'd probably destroy)

Quote:
If you could have lived in any era which would you choose? In which country? Why?

Here and now is good - anywhere else and I'm sure the grass is greener near the septic tank.

Quote:
If you could be one cartoon character who would it be?

Sly Cooper

Quote:
If you had a water bottle permanantly hooked to your belt, what would be in it?

Water. Best drink on the planet and you really should be drinking 8 cups a day.

Quote:
If you could fly, where would you go?

First I'd buy a protective helmet and viewscreen. Then I'd test the freezing conditions at near space altitudes in case some crazy Russian tries to steal my tech.

Quote:
If you could see one planet from the surface (walking on it) which would you choose?

Pluto - oh wait, dammit!

Quote:
Did you pack your lunch?
Do you routinely?
Whats in it?

Used to, will start again as the months get colder.
Often it's Falafel, pitas, fruits, cheese, olives, cut vegetables and so on. We have these really nice bento boxes (well, utilitarian, not so pretty) that hold a perfect amount of food. The cool thing about bento is that it doesn't need to be kept cold in the time from packing to lunch, and you can experiment with smaller foods and tastes. This lets me make small batches of things and then dole them out over 10 lunches across a week.

Quote:
Favorite fruit?

Tomato - ha, gotcha!

Quote:
Favorite vegetable?

Broccoli and its near cousins in the cabbage family.

Quote:
Least favorite of each?

Mushrooms

Quote:
Light or Dark meat?

Light

Quote:
Favorite pirate movie?

Princess Bride - note that didn't make my '5 movies list'.

Quote:
Favorite salad dressing?

Ken's light Italian
Basic homemade balsamic vinaigrette

Quote:
One cool quirk you have?

Dunno

Quote:
Regular or diet pop (soda)?

First off it's SODA.
Second: Diet soda's, specifically those with Truvia or Splenda. That aspertame stuff will kill you.

Quote:
Cd in your car right now?

Soundtrack to Uncharted 2

Quote:
Time you wake up?

7:30/8:00ish

Quote:
Morning or evening person?

Up late most nights.

Quote:
Do you pace while on the phone?

I use my cel so infrequently, so no.

Quote:
Left or right handed?

Right.

Quote:
Favorite thing about coaching?

Absolutely nothing.

Quote:
Favorite sports teams?

See previous - really don't care if the tickets are free, I'm usually exploring the ball park for the unique food experience since most stadiums have at least one.

Quote:
Sci-fi or fantasy?

Is there really a difference?

Quote:
Favorite book?

Don't tend to have favorites - recently it is a book about refactoring your wetware by Andy Hunt.

Quote:
Least favorite game?

Based on my ratings, that would be Naval Battle.

Quote:
Winter olympics or summer olympics?

I recorded every single curling event and watched them all!

Quote:
What was your favorite part about being involved with the Resistance playtesting?

Seeing the game take shape, finding the saddle points and figuring out which one needed to be plugged.

Quote:
Favorite part of the game?

I enjoy the targetting variant once everyone has a clue. I also like going for a 5-fail win as a spy, which usually means getting a few fails early on when you know that a spy leader will be taking the last vote or two.

Quote:
Your resistance strengths and weaknesses?

Reading Don, apparently. I also think I'm analyzing on a level slightly higher than most people I play with, which means I triple think myself into a hole.

Quote:
Favorite types of games?

Middle weight resource management games.

Quote:
Favorite themes?

Themes that tie tightly to the mechanics. My wife doesn't like train games much, so I tend to steer away from such things even though I enjoy them and thus get them in at larger game venues such as conventions and big gatherings.

Quote:
If you could take any five people (ficticious, or actual) to an island for a year who would they be and what would you do?

NO idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raid1280 wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

Quote:
If you could have one theme that would blow your mind in online wolf what would it be?

I have three:
Inception

Watch for this one relatively soon. Disp and I have this 99% finished. Just a few touches and we'll be ready to roll.

I see multiple edits on this post... Are you trying to make me think I thought of the idea of an INCEPTION game, when you in fact planted that idea in my head?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, 4 votes on my two truths and a lie.

Surely you can do better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The two truths and a lie poll has closed, so it is time for me to fess up.

Truth:
I am an elected official in my community government.
I have served as my neighborhood's HOA President for many years. Because of the way my community is set up, this is considered part of the local community government. It's not very high up in the political chain, but it is civic service.

Truth:
I am bionic and susceptible to high magnetic fields.
A few years ago I went through a scary time. After a few nights in the hospital and being hooked up to various medical devices, the doctors determined that I had a malfunctioning heart that was slipping to dangerously low beats per minute level while I was at rest and sleeping. The next day I was prepped for surgery and had a pacemaker installed. The pacer shuts off in high magnetic fields (by design) and makes traveling oh so much fun.

That leaves the following as my lie:
I have shared a meal with many famous food personalities, to include Alton Brown, Raymond Blanc, Jose Andres, and Beau MacMillan.
And even that is almost entirely true.

Alton Brown - I have attended multiple book signings of his in the area, to include one where he was the guest of honor at a press club dinner, which I and my wife got tickets to. During the meal, when the chef came out to talk about the food, Alton suddenly realized that what we'd been eating was all in his cookbook, just in slightly modified forms (to make it more presentable).

Jose Andres - the man responsible for bringing Spanish Tapas to America has multiple restaurants in the DC area. He graced our table at a celebration dinner for a few minutes.

Beau MacMillan - one of the two hosts of 'worst cooks in America' was the guest chef on my honeymoon cruise. My wife and I attended his lecture where about ten of us collectively created a wonderful meal.

Raymond Blanc - host of "Last Restaurant Standing" -- I have not eaten with. But while in London he did stop to ask us directions to the nearby train station. Close...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wooo hooo!! I was the only one to get it right. I'm marking this in the calendar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.