Subject: What exactly does "make 1 attack" mean? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Tempest
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently purchased Death Angel and am loving it (suitably rapidly written and scatter-brained review on the way...), but despite the FAQ being released, there is a single rules problem in our group.

Cards such as the event "Quick Instincts", Orange Support "Overwatch", and Green Move+Activate "Run and Gun" all mention that a Space Marine can "make 1 attack".

Now my question is what does this entail? I understand that a with your run of the mill Marine (such as Brother Valencio from Orange team) you're simply going to roll 1 dice and kill a genestealer on a skull. But what if you make this attack with Brother Leon (Assault Cannon)? Does 1 attack mean he makes a single range 3 shot from his assault cannon? What about Brother Zael (Heavy Flamer)? Does he get to make a flamer attack, potentially killing 5 genestealers? Or does his heavy flamer suddenly act as a storm bolter? With "Run and Gun" do you get the attack power of Green team's Attack Action - if you roll a 4 kill 3 'Stealers?

Now my logical mind tells me that all of this is nonsense and you just make a regular run of the mill attack. But once you start exploring the intricacies - such as does Leon get his assault cannon range, or how exactly does Zael's heavy flamer suddenly turn into a storm bolter, it does not seem quite so ridiculous to expect a more powerful attack.

Help please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nominate Marine, check Range and Facing, roll 1 die, looking for Skull. So Leon attacks once within 3 Range, Zael once within 1 Range, poor Claudio and Gideon at 0 Range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Car San
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi, i play like this:

- when an event card lets you made an attack the best is Zael he kill the number that dice say. Others marines only made 1 attack.

- the abilities (f examp green marines with a 4 kill 3 its ONLY when you play an attack card)

i hope help you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
imladris wrote:
hi, i play like this:

- when an event card lets you made an attack the best is Zael he kill the number that dice say. Others marines only made 1 attack.

- the abilities (f examp green marines with a 4 kill 3 its ONLY when you play an attack card)

Why would you allow Zael to kill with the special ability of his Attack card if he attack via an Event card, but not use the same rule for the Green team ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that the '1 attack' is a plain vanilla attack. Special attack rules only kick in when you play an Attack card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tempest
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spendrik wrote:
I'd say that the '1 attack' is a plain vanilla attack. Special attack rules only kick in when you play an Attack card.

So what would be your views on weapon ranges? Does Leon get a bonus? While Zael is reduced to 1 and Claudio + Gideon suffer with 0?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking out the special abilities, with regard to attacking, rules state:

"In order to attack a swarm of Genestealers, the
Space Marine card must be FACING the swarm, and
be within RANGE." (p. 19)

"Each Space Marine card lists the maximum Range
(number of positions away) that he may attack." (p. 19)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spendrik wrote:

+1 thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TempestBlade wrote:
But what if you make this attack with Brother Leon (Assault Cannon)? Does 1 attack mean he makes a single range 3 shot from his assault cannon?

Yes.

TempestBlade wrote:
What about Brother Zael (Heavy Flamer)? Does he get to make a flamer attack, potentially killing 5 genestealers?

No. He makes a standard attack just like what you've described for Leon, except that Zael has Range 1.

TempestBlade wrote:

With "Run and Gun" do you get the attack power of Green team's Attack Action - if you roll a 4 kill 3 'Stealers?

No. That only happens when you play the Run and Gun action card.

TempestBlade wrote:
how exactly does Zael's heavy flamer suddenly turn into a storm bolter

If this were a tabletop RPG, those sorts of story elements would matter. But it's not that kind of game, and we're forced to accept a great deal of abstraction.

Anyway, the rulebook is really clear about this. See page 12:

Quote:
Each special ability specifies when, during the game round, the ability may be resolved... Special abilities that use the term "Each time" may be resolved multiple times during the game round.

Zael's flamer attack is a special ability that's only mentioned on his Attack card. It doesn't say "Each time," so it happens then and then only. Even if Zael got another chance to attack in the same turn as his Attack card was played, he wouldn't get the special flamer attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
TempestBlade wrote:
how exactly does Zael's heavy flamer suddenly turn into a storm bolter,

Its just a quick squirt of promethium to clear the tubes, not a full fledged blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While this is perfectly understandable, this kind of issue is quite common with players in general and stems from reading too much into things instead of keeping with just the rules.
In the rules, you have what an Attack is plainly defined. Then, when you play Action Cards, you get some special abilities, which is something else. Of course, thematically, we all understand that when you play the Purple Attack Action Card and it says when Brother Zael makes his attack roll he kills as many Genestealers as the number on the die rather than just one if he gets the skull as usual it represents a Heavy Flamer shot. However, nothing in the rules says that. It is chrome. From the rules point of view, it is the combination of an Attack Order and a Special Ability, and that's it.
Considerations such as Assault Canon and Lightning Claws have nothing to do with the rules and should be left with theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tempest
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good - attack with the standard skull, using the weapons range.

Sounds like sense to me. This is the way I'd been playing, but didn't want to doom my group to a harder game just because of my reading

Thanks for all the responses
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Car San
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok... so other mistake to correct in next games...

thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
don don
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Then it's quiet meaningless to waste a supply token to make a standard attack--which only 50% to kill only ONE enemy.. worth?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.