Hide
9 Posts

Small World» Forums » Variants

Subject: Race Idea #1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Christian
msg tools
I want to preface this by first saying, that I have several ideas that I’m compiling into a kinda private expansion. We have a group that goes up to a cabin every year to play board games. One of our members has done a group specific (including all our inside jokes and such) expansion to Agricola.

I’ve always wanted to do one for Smallworld, so here I go.

Please, as you critique some of the ideas, keep in mind that some of the powers and/or races may not make thematic sense to Smallworld, or to you in general, but they do make thematic sense to the inside group jokes. So if you all could curtail your critique to whether and how the powers work and how to tighten them up, that would be most appreciated.

That being said:

Mosquitoes [3] (max 8) [8]

Mosquitoes do not receive their own Power Tile. When turned up for selection, no power tile will be turned up for this race.

Mosquitoes share spaces with a “host” race. The “host” race must be active. To place a token in a “host” race’s space, requires the Mosquitoes to use as many tokens as it would require to conquer the space. At the end of your turn, you remove all but one token from the shared space, and all remaining tokens remain in hand for use on your next turn.

The mosquitoes score what their “host” race & “host” race's power tile would have scored. had the “host” race taken over that territory using the Mosquitoes power tile rather than the “host” race’s power tile. On subsequent turns, where a mosquito token is already in a shared space, the mosquito would score what the “host” race & host race's power tile would have scored had the “host” race maintained control of the territory. using the Mosquitoes power tile rather than the “host” race’s power tile.

If another active race attempts to conquer the shared space, all race tokens (“host” and mosquito) are counted to determine how many will be required to conquer the space. If the space is conquered, the new active race then becomes the “host” race, and the mosquito token stays in that space. If the “host” race abandons a shared space, they pick up the mosquito token with their own tokens, and on redistribution at the end of the turn, the mosquitoes will place the mosquito token in new space owned by the “host” race without having to “conquer” it.

If a “host” race goes into decline, the mosquito token is removed from the board and replaced into the tray. If the mosquitoes go into decline, they score 1 VC per territory shared, but any abandonment by the “host” race, conquering by another race, or declining of the “host” race will cause the declined mosquito token to be removed from the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like it for the most part. The one thing I'd say, is that if the host race pulls up his tokens, the mosquito should just stay on that tile instead of being allowed to be moved to a new space occupied by the host.

Additionally, there doesn't seem to be any way for them to die when not in decline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Christian
msg tools
Yes, the idea of mosquitoes is that they can't die unless the host race declines.

That's why they are only worth 3 tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Christian
msg tools
Alternatively, the mosquitoes could get no power tile, and their scores are completely dependent on the “host” race/power tile. This would uncomplicated that aspect and remove almost 3 entire lines of text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pere
Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you could change the idea from a race to a power ("Mosquito infested Elves")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Christian
msg tools
senseless wrote:
Maybe you could change the idea from a race to a power ("Mosquito infested Elves")

I thought of that, but then you'd call the power "Swarm of" and it would be a Swarm of Elves (or whatever) and essentially be the same as above, except for you'd also get the power of the Elves.

Using it as a power would create a bunch of clunky or problematic rules, and perhaps be too powerful. You’d have to reconsider the scoring mechanism for Swarms of. Additionally, what benefit would there be to take this race with Swarms of, if the sharing and scoring mechanism are changed or go away?

I like it better as a race, because it keeps things less complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What happens if a host race goes in decline, and it doesn't affect all your tokens.

Then you have your previously in decline race, your 1/2 in decline race, and your remaining race tokens which are active?

EDIT:
Oh--nevermind, apparently missed that on the first read

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian o
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually quite like this idea. Very innovative. I think that a mosquito doesn't really fit the fantasy theme however. What about Poltergeist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Christian
msg tools
RedArmyIan wrote:
I actually quite like this idea. Very innovative. I think that a mosquito doesn't really fit the fantasy theme however. What about Poltergeist?

You are correct, it doesn't really fit the fantasy theme, but I will refer you to my original post where I said that it wouldn't and why it wouldn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.