Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone!

HanClinto Games is exploring the possibility of developing a version of Alien Frontiers for the iPad. We have a pretty good handle on the number of people who are interested in Alien Frontiers as a board game, but we're less confident about how many of those interested gamers also owns an iPad.

We also wouldn't be opposed to getting the game on Facebook or other online platforms, but we're trying to figure out how to make it worth our while to do so.

In the mean time, if you could help us out by answering out little poll regarding your own interest in an electronic implementation of Alien Frontiers, that would be fantastic.

You may choose as many options as apply, but please help us out by not expressing interest in a platform if you do not own that device.

Poll
I would be interested in...
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Buying Alien Frontiers on iPad
44.1% 113
Buying Alien Frontiers on iPhone / iPod
47.7% 122
Buying Alien Frontiers on Android
13.7% 35
Playing Alien Frontiers on Facebook or some other web venue
25.0% 64
Wouldn't be interested in playing Alien Frontiers electronically
7.8% 20
Voters 256
This poll is now closed.   256 answers
Poll created by HanClinto
Closes: Wed Dec 1, 2010 6:00 am

If none of this applies, then you could still really help me by simply stating that you wouldn't be interested in an electronic version of the game.

Thanks for your time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI...HanClinto is exploring this with both Tory's and my blessing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
United States
Castleton
New York
flag msg tools
Check out my blog, Board Game Radar!!!
badge
Stop! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you get the rights from Clever Mojo yet or are you trying to gauge whether it would be worth it to try to get the rights?

EDIT: Nevermind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Patten
United States
Cypress
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No, no, I'm fine. How are you?
mbmbmbmbmb

I've been collecting iPad versions of board games as long as I've owned it, so this would be a sure buy for me barring unplayable bugginess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'd definitely buy a version of AF on the iPad ... if I owned one. Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CleverMojo wrote:
FYI...HanClinto is exploring this with both Tory's and my blessing.

Thanks for the clarification, David.

Please note that I do not have exclusive rights to develop Alien Frontiers for any platforms, and that everything is very preliminary at this point. If you are a developer who has been interested in this project (I think a couple others have posted on here), you should still feel free to contact Clever Mojo.

Thanks so much for everyone's responses! It's very very much appreciated!

--clint
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do a PC version I can buy on Steam, I'll give you my money now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
United States
Castleton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Stop! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised iPad is beating iPhone. (I clicked both). I understand the larger screen is MUCH better for boardgames, but I figured the much larger user base for iPhones would put it ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh please please please take the extra step and develop it for WebOS (palm pre). I heard that porting over games from the iphone to WebOS is pretty simple. There is a pretty active WebOS community out there! www.precentral.net.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fanaka66 wrote:
I'm surprised iPad is beating iPhone. (I clicked both). I understand the larger screen is MUCH better for boardgames, but I figured the much larger user base for iPhones would put it ahead.

I'd wager it has something to do with the word, "iPad" being in the thread title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ
United States
Calhoun
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it were a universal app, like Carcassone, where it will work with both the iPhone and iPad then I would happily spend $3-$5 on it, maybe even up to $10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ikiru wrote:
Oh please please please take the extra step and develop it for WebOS (palm pre). I heard that porting over games from the iphone to WebOS is pretty simple. There is a pretty active WebOS community out there! www.precentral.net.

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion! This is not out of the question, and I'll take it into consideration -- thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two observations I have for CleverMojo:

(1) An iPad or iPhone app is a very nice way to ameliorate the lag time in printing new copies of the game.

(2) I am one of the five people on the planet who had never played Small World. But I bought the iPad app, and guess what? Now I will probably buy a physical copy of Small World. A well-done app is actually a great marketing tool for the physical game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
peterb12 wrote:
(1) An iPad or iPhone app is a very nice way to ameliorate the lag time in printing new copies of the game.

I've worked on three iPhone projects as project head...Jin Li, Taiji, and (coming eventually) Hippos & Crocodiles. I could swim to China and print the second run of Alien Frontiers myself using a Guttenberg press is less time than it takes to develop a "simple" iPhone game. Don't count on seeing this before the AF reprint.
soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
United States
Castleton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Stop! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
CleverMojo wrote:
peterb12 wrote:

I've worked on three iPhone projects as project head...Jin Li, Taiji, and (coming eventually) Hippos & Crocodiles. I could swim to China and print the second run of Alien Frontiers myself using a Guttenberg press is less time than it takes to develop a "simple" iPhone game. Don't count on seeing this before the AF reprint.
soblue

Out of curiousity, do you not have interest in doing Alien Frontiers in-house, then? Too much going on with a second printing and expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When I say "Project Head" I mean art direction, project and resource coordination, public relations and marketing, that sort of "front man" stuff. I have zero knowledge about iOS programming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
tckoppang wrote:
Well, I'd definitely buy a version of AF on the iPad ... if I owned one. Oh well.

Same here. I'd be interested, but I feel it would be a bit irresponsible to vote when I'm not sure when I'll have an iPad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would buy one for the ipad. Absolutely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own an iPad, but it's only a matter of time. I do own an iPod Touch.

If you produced a version of AF for the iPad that supports up to 4 players and is as nice as what I've seen of the Small World iPad app, I would almost certainly buy it (for my future iPad).

I'm not sure if I'd want AF on my iPod Touch, although if it had a good AI so I could play it solo, the likelyhood would go way up. (Cramming all the graphics onto that small screen would be tough. I assume that's why Small World is iPad only.) Still, I voted "interested" on your poll for the iPod Touch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
loon wrote:
I'm not sure if I'd want AF on my iPod Touch, although if it had a good AI so I could play it solo, the likelyhood would go way up. (Cramming all the graphics onto that small screen would be tough. I assume that's why Small World is iPad only.)

Yeah, so much of what I really like about Alien Frontiers is the artwork and the aesthetics of everything -- I'd hate to lose that by squishing everything down to an iPod sized screen.

All that to say, yes -- we're primarily focused on a play-and-pass version for the iPad initially, potentially with some (simple) AI to help fill the solo times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
HanClinto wrote:
All that to say, yes -- we're primarily focused on a play-and-pass version for the iPad initially, potentially with some (simple) AI to help fill the solo times.

If I had an iPad, I'd only buy it for AI play. Play and pass makes no sense to me; I'd rather play the real thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would certainly pay for iPad version. Just got my copy last night and it was a hit at the table with a friend.

Please don't design iPad version to be like Kingsburg where you never see the while board though.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian laing
United States
san carlos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
HanClinto wrote:

If I had an iPad, I'd only buy it for AI play. Play and pass makes no sense to me; I'd rather play the real thing.

Yeah I am in the same boat. I have been buying Ipad boardgames so I can play AI and get to play a game more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jabagi K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have an iPad but one of my best gamer friends has one and he buys every iPad board game he can find. And he has more than 100 (physical) board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob in Richmond wrote:
Please don't design iPad version to be like Kingsburg where you never see the while board though.

That's our biggest hangup with all of our proposed iPod designs -- we're just not sure how we can get a game this expansive onto a screen that small. So much of Alien Frontiers is about the wide array of options and the ever-changing sea of existing dice on orbitals and alien tech and the battle for territory on the planet surface -- so much of the game is balancing that vast array of options, and it would be hard to present all of those options on such a small screen in a meaningful and aesthetically-pleasing way.

Because we can make things a bit more "open" on the iPad, that's largely why we're focusing on that initially.

Rob, do you have thoughts as to how you think the iPhone Kingsburg could have organized all of its information in a better manner?

Also, thanks for everyone's input regarding the AI. I really really want to make some sort of AI, but especially w.r.t. the alien tech, it's going to be extremely challenging to write, and I'm weighing my desire for an AI against how quickly I want to see this game get developed. While more intensive AI is definitely planned for down-the-road, the initial version probably won't be playing at any sort of tournament level.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.