Popular Tags: iPad [+] [View All]
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
iPad Breathes New Life into German Board Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They needed new life?

I imagine most of the downloaders are existing board game players - why else would a board game on the iPad they had never heard of appeal to anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the people I know who bought Carcassonne on the iPad had never played it in real life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fildes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm not sure that the author knows what he's talking about. How have they removed the randomness of dice from Settlers, or even removed randomness from Carcassonne (I'm not knocking the randomness, I like the random element of both games at the same time as I am frustrated by it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
triviadave wrote:
I'm not sure that the author knows what he's talking about. How have they removed the randomness of dice from Settlers, or even removed randomness from Carcassonne (I'm not knocking the randomness, I like the random element of both games at the same time as I am frustrated by it).

That's the great Mystery of Euros: that its two most popular gateway games are both almost completely random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio Virzo
Italy
Latina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tallboy wrote:
They needed new life?

I imagine most of the downloaders are existing board game players - why else would a board game on the iPad they had never heard of appeal to anyone?

Agreed. Totally. For example, I have almost every boardgame-related app on my iPad (even Everygame, Dungeon Mapper, not mentioning Knizia's stuff and way much more), but I'm a huge fan of real boardgames, and so are many of my friends who perhaps don't buy so much apps on their ipad than me.

Certainly, apps like Neuroshima Hex! and the incoming The Necronomicon Horror may have some good appeal to anyone who doesn't even know how a boardgame is...

For sure, I may say iPad is an interesting device for real boardgame fans, sometime can be really funny to have something to stick while waiting friends coming to your weekly boardgaming session, or even use that tech tablet just as an aide to keeping up scoring or mastering some rpg session!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:

That's the great Mystery of Euros: that it's two most popular gateway games [Settlers & Carc] are both almost completely random.

That's WHY they're popular. The randomness gives everyone a chance, and keeps the games fun. It's certainly why I like them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
MarkEJohnson wrote:
Aldaron wrote:

That's the great Mystery of Euros: that its two most popular gateway games [Settlers & Carc] are both almost completely random.

That's WHY they're popular. The randomness gives everyone a chance, and keeps the games fun. It's certainly why I like them!

The mystery isn't why they're popular; it's that they contradict a defining attribute of Euros: reduced luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McIntyre
Canada
Unspecified
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Compared to what people were used to when they first came out, especially in North America, Carcasonne and Settlers did have reduced luck (although Carcasonne with all the expansions is very chaotic). They are still superb gateway games if your recent history is traditional family games like Monopoly, Risk, or Sorry. We in this hobby have been spoiled (both in a good and bad way) by the 'perfect information' games that came after them.

I still enjoy a game of Settlers from time to time, and I've been meaning to trim my Carcasonne set back down to the base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.