Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Rosendal
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you play the computer game?
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=Through+the+Deser...

I just get a screen of hex's and it says red tribe. Then nothing happends :-(
I've tried clicking and pressing random keys, but nothing happends.

Please help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re:Through the Desert - computer game
qute (#449674),

On my laptop, I occasionally get random camel placements when I click on the board. On my desktop, I get nothing. Maybe the game only works with extremely slow computers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my understanding that the program only works on an obsolescent version of DirectX. Too bad, it was really nice. Maybe someone with computer 'madskillz' would update it for us?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Stokes
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I wrote this a few years ago, it should still work though - DirectX being backwardly compatible in theory. It works on my DirectX 8 PC at home and at work. If you are getting a screenful of hexes with camels and palm trees then it is probably working. But the interface is not very intuitive I know! Try clicking on the hexes underneath the 6 camels to the side of the board. (You may have to hold your click for a bit). Then click on a hex on the board to place that color camel. The AI player(s) will then play immediately and it will be your turn again. The AI is not very good actually but at least that means you can win! And also this version was never authorised by Kosmos or Reiner K although I did talk to him about it at the time..

BTW I am trying to start a little computer games company - actually arcade games rather than board games. I've just finished a fun little game - RollyBall - more polished than this. Is anyone interested in playtesting and giving me some market research and telling me whether they like it? I know you're board gamers and I probably shouldn't be posting this! - but here's a chance to broaden your horizons!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Zeifert
msg tools
Hi everyone!
I've been looking for a computer version of TtD for some time now and once I found it here, I was dissapointed it doesn't work...
However it seems I've found a solution! You have to right-click on the Camels.exe -> properities ->compatibility -> Run in 256 colors and it works! The only problem is that you can't play against AI... I don't know why.
I hope somebody will find this reply useful, especially as there are quite many questions about TtD on computer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.