Popular Tags: [View All]
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep finding variations of a quote like this. It rings dozens of bells for me...but I can't, for the life of me, remember where this is from. At this point, I'm wondering if I just am remembering it from other times people have referenced it. Please END THIS TORTURE!

Where did this come from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:
From a Sega Master Drive game that never appeared in the US, became an internet phenomenon...

More data at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_your_base_are_belong_to_us

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Re:
The origin is a terrible english translation of text in a videogame (sometimes refered to as 'engrish'). For whatever reason, that particular phrase gained a huge following.

See http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/ for the video mentioned in the wikipedia entry, as well as several of the doctored (and undoctored!) photos.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
There was an old 16-bit video game called "Zero Wing" that was produced in Japan during 1989. It was given a European (but never an American) release in 1992 on the Sega Megadrive system, and it was that translation that led to the famous quote. The quote came from a horrifying translation into English that not only led to "All your base are belong to us," but also such quotes as "Someone set up us the bomb," and "You have no chance to survive, make your time."

For the full Wikipedia entry, click here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_your_base_are_belong_to_us

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riley
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody set us up the bomb
It came from a poor translation of the Zero Wing video game intro from Japanese to Engrish. Here's a pretty good page on it:

http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/story.shtml

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...guess I'd been infected with the meme and never knew it. I'm sure I've said this before, thinking I was quoting a movie or something. Hmmm....

Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:
I used to be heavily into the Tribes scene during its heyday. Played on a Top 10 CTF ladder team on the old OGL (Online Gaming League), visited the forums daily, etc. I remember when the phrase "All your base are belong to us" took root and proliferated like mad on the forums and into the games on public servers. It was a very appropriate phrase for the game, as each team had a base of operations that housed and protected generators that powered its inventory stations and radar devices.

One of the primary goals on most maps was to send heavy offense on suicide missions to the enemy base and cause mass chaos and destruction. If the defense was unable to keep up with the onslaught, the result was usually one or more enemies setting up camp in the generator room and promptly killing any brave defenders that dared come in to repair. ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!!!!

Any other former Tribes players out there? If anyone cares, I was the designated turreter for the Drinkers tribe (clan), handle Drink|FuzzyNavel. Man, those were some good times!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
www.engrish.com

Mr. Sparkle is disrespectful to dirt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth noting that only the console version of Zero Wing had this phrase in it. The original arcade version did not.

Here is a link to a review of the game:
http://www.classicgaming.com/shmups/reviews/zerowing/index.h...

Here is a link to more information about Toaplan, the company who made it:
http://www.toaplan.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real and Only
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
In A.D. 2101
War was beginning.
Captain: What happen ?
Mechanic: Somebody set up us the bomb.
Operator: We get signal.
Captain: What !
Operator: Main screen turn on.
Captain: It's You !!
Cats: How are you gentlemen !!
Cats: All your base are belong to us.
Cats: You are on the way to destruction.
Captain: What you say !!
Cats: You have no chance to survive make your time.
Cats: HA HA HA HA ....
Captain: Take off every 'zig' !!
Captain: You know what you doing.
Captain: Move 'zig'.
Captain: For great justice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is this any worse than some of the scripts that are currently running on network television?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That phrase and "Someone set up us the bomb" have become big, but the other lines are pretty funny and more rarely used.

I often say "You have no chance to survive make your time" to my kids when they disagree with me on important issues like whether it's time to go to bed or not.

My wife is an avid scrapbooker. It ends up there is a prominant pen company called Zig so she's usually using Zig pens. She's used to me saying "Move every Zig for great justice" whenever she's scrapbooking.

Yeah, it's lame, but it's the lameness that makes life interesting. Or the interesting things, I forget.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A gabber group called The Laziest Men on Mars made the song which was used in the video, as well as a handful of other catchy gabber tracks. My favorite is The Terrible Secret of Space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:
Longbow wrote:
I used to be heavily into the Tribes scene during its heyday. Played on a Top 10 CTF ladder team on the old OGL (Online Gaming League), visited the forums daily, etc. I remember when the phrase "All your base are belong to us" took root and proliferated like mad on the forums and into the games on public servers.

Oh, yeah, I've been a Tribes'er from WAY back. Never really got into it professionally, but that was our "office game" during lunch hour. We'd also stick around after work to play, too - just deathmatch (office guys never want to work together), but we played probably a good 3 hours a day basically every day of the week for months. We got very, very good.

Gotta say, Tribes: Vengeance was a MAJOR letdown. IMHO, T2 was the best of the series, simply due to how much it FORCED teamplay (since I played mostly on pubs - what you don't FORCE people to do...they won't do. LOL.) Plus, T1s graphics were 'dated' *years* before it was released. The only redeeming thing about them was that it had a 'software' mode, so you didn't need a 3d accelerator. Last shooter to do so. Anyway, that's how several of us played at the office - old Pentium-II 233s, 300s or 400s with no 3d cards in them and 256mb of ram if we were lucky. Still played Tribes great, though! T2 was quite an improvement, took it up to that 'current gen' look - and still looks good today!

HazMatt wrote:
It came from a poor translation of the Zero Wing video game intro from Japanese to Engrish. Here's a pretty good page on it:

http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/story.shtml

BTW, for the funniest take on "All Your Base" to date (and I'm not kidding, this is great - watch the whole thing), take a look at:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/222458

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy Crap it's back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:
As a sidebar, in the PC Game Sudden Strike, the German or Russian accent voice over actor during the briefings had a peculiar way of pronouncing the word conquer. It came out something like this...

"You must cong-QUEER the enemy held town and..."

Other than that it was a pretty realistic PC WWII Sim. If soldiers stood around long enough without being given orders they'd light up cigarettes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brafman
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. Note if you change the "are" to "is,"

All you base is belong to us,

and then consider that "base is" sounds the same as "bases," maybe the translator was trying to say

All your bases belong to us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't that assume that the translator was familiar with English phoenetic plurals at the very least?

I think it was just a shoddy job, personally laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Morgan
United States
Fancy Gap
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:
disclamer wrote:

A gabber group called The Laziest Men on Mars made the song which was used in the video, as well as a handful of other catchy gabber tracks. My favorite is The Terrible Secret of Space.

Someone else who remembers The Terrible Secret of Space! robot robot

XanderF wrote:
BTW, for the funniest take on "All Your Base" to date (and I'm not kidding, this is great - watch the whole thing), take a look at:

http://uploads.ungrounded.net/content.php?id=222458&name=222...

That is so wrong on at least 4 different levels...

(BTW, Newgrounds doesn't like the direct URL; better to go to http://www.newgrounds.com/ and perform a search on zero wing rhapsody.)

And if that translation looks like it was made by someone who wasn't familiar with either Japanese or English, well, that's pretty much what it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip, I changed the link.

This one should work:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/222458

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:
Years ago, in Consumer Reports magazine they tell the story of a customer who bought a key board stand and was astounded at the profanity in the assembly instructions. It seems the word the translator meant to use was "screw."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite was the original Samurai Shodown arcade game. If you got to the end (at least with Galford, the only guy I was ever good at), the bad guy came out and said "Amakusa! Amakusa! HAHAHA! Now I am the number best!"

So I always cackle and say that I am the number best when I win things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.