Peter Gorniak
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
This storage solution for Dominion and expansions replaces the original box insert with a glueless design using interlocking tabs cut into each foamcore piece to hold together. My main goal was portability (and thus space efficiency), as I often carry a backpack with games.

I kept the action cards from base and expansions separate in 4 compartments. The 5th compartment in the front holds all the common cards (basic treasure, basic victory, curses and trash) whereas the 2 very small compartments hold the promo cards and colony/platinum from Prosperity. All the tokens (from Seaside and Prosperity) are in bags in the small centre compartment, whereas the mats from Seaside and Prosperity are in the large section in the back.

I glued a piece of black felt to the bottom of the box as the original cardboard isn't very nice.

The source for the tabs is at this page. They took quite a while to get just right - they're double-sided, exactly the size of cards, and have the card text on one side, the instructions on the other. As I say on the linked page, I wrote a script to generate the pdf for them and am happy to generate variations (already did a vertical version for sleeved card sizes for a friend.)

This is my first custom box, so it's somewhat flawed, especially in the foamboard cutting (my tools weren't great.) You can make out some uneven sections in the photo, and a little damage from cutting here and there. Also, I had the felt idea for the bottom too late, so the foamboard pieces stick out a little at the top. The tabs are pretty good (I'm better at python scripting for generating pdfs and cardboard cutting than I am at foamboard cutting.) As the pieces aren't glued I might get better tools at some point and re-do all the foamboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded the cards last week and I think they are very good! I laminated them and cut them to size. I made a divider much like yours, but with illustration board rather than foam core. Works great! The two tabbed cards that I did not see in your file were a trash card and a card for the randomizers. Thanks for posting the files.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gorniak
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
I decided not to put the randomizer cards in this box as it's heavy enough already and I use an iPhone app for randomization (thus the division by expansion, too, as the app can sort by that.) The Trash card I just have tucked on the other side of the Curse card tab against the board - I felt a tab for a single card was overkill. I'll try to remember to add those to the pdf though in case others want to use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joewtwins
United States
Ankeny
IA
flag msg tools
because it's all I ever wanted to be..
badge
Cloning gamers since 2003
mbmbmbmbmb
Lately, I've used an unused mat (from Seaside) upside down for the trash. That would eliminate the need for the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Olsen
United States
South Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done. I simply took two strips of old punchboard frame (from Small World) and made 2 dividers so that my box has 3 rows and labeled index cards for each Dominion card. Still have room for at least 1 full sized expansion.

Also, we have never used the Trash card. We just throw them into a pile, usually above the basic cards. Easy peasy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pritchard
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm printing these out now
Have you done tabs for the alchemy expansion at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gorniak
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
Kanedacorp wrote:
I'm printing these out now
Have you done tabs for the alchemy expansion at all?

Yes, they should be in the file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pritchard
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, having made the tabs now I realised they were there and I'm not sure what made me think they weren't in the first place

I just need to find some foamboard or similar now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gorniak
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
The python source for generating the tabs is now available here, but takes some font conversion work to get running as I can't re-distribute the fonts that come with Adobe Reader, but they are in the wrong format for this script.

On request, I also submitted a version that has potion icons on cards that cost potions, but BGG has yet to approve it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kamphaus
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did something similar to mine, cept the material I used was thinner and just used the foamboard for filling gaps so it fit snug, but may try it this way instead so my cards will have a little more room without worrying about breaking the compartment dividers. Foamboard isn't all that expensive to buy and pretty easy to cut and got some glue I can use to make sure it stays together.

I also used part of a styrofoam block in the compartment with the Seaside placemats so they aren't at the bottom of the box, cut it so they were about halfway up, with room to spare for Prosperity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Any plans to do cards for Dominion: Cornucopia? These cards really make storage easier!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gorniak
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
turtleback wrote:
Any plans to do cards for Dominion: Cornucopia? These cards really make storage easier!

I don't have the detailed card instructions in electronic format at the moment, but I've submitted new tabs files to BGG with the Cornucopia tabs included by just using the card texts on both sides. Should hopefully be approved very soon and appear on the site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winter
United States
East Gull Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took your inspiration and converted my box as well. Only problem that I can see for me is I use Sleeved cards and I'm not going to be able to fit nearly as many cards in my box. I have the base set and Seaside (and Intrigue on order). But if I go for a 4th set, I'm not going to have room for the Seaside boards. Oh well, it will still a fun project and will do me well for some time to come. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gorniak
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
Cool. And yes, more expansions are a problem for a single-original-box solution, even earlier if you're sleeving. I haven't bothered with Alchemy and Cornucopia, but if I ever do I might add use one of their boxes to hold those two smaller expansions. For a full sleeved set, you'll probably need 2 full size converted boxes.

Alarian wrote:
I took your inspiration and converted my box as well. Only problem that I can see for me is I use Sleeved cards and I'm not going to be able to fit nearly as many cards in my box. I have the base set and Seaside (and Intrigue on order). But if I go for a 4th set, I'm not going to have room for the Seaside boards. Oh well, it will still a fun project and will do me well for some time to come. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gorniak
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
I uploaded a full Cornucopia version, btw. Everything's been pending in the BGG update queue for weeks now.

sumpfork wrote:
turtleback wrote:

I don't have the detailed card instructions in electronic format at the moment, but I've submitted new tabs files to BGG with the Cornucopia tabs included by just using the card texts on both sides. Should hopefully be approved very soon and appear on the site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gorniak
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
sumpfork wrote:
I uploaded a full Cornucopia version, btw. Everything's been pending in the BGG update queue for weeks now.

sumpfork wrote:
turtleback wrote:

New version with Cornucopia included is now up, single download for all versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philosophyguy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you need any help putting together the next version of the tabs that includes Dark Ages? I can't do any graphics work, but I can volunteer to type card text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gorniak
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
philosophyguy wrote:
Do you need any help putting together the next version of the tabs that includes Dark Ages? I can't do any graphics work, but I can volunteer to type card text.

Thanks, but an update for Dark Ages (with lots of other improvements, too) is already in the BGG file queue waiting to be released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gorniak
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
sumpfork wrote:
philosophyguy wrote:

Thanks, but an update for Dark Ages (with lots of other improvements, too) is already in the BGG file queue waiting to be released.

v 1.6 including Dark Ages is on BGG now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Grange
New Zealand
New Plymouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone done a layout with all the cards? What size box do you need? (I've got the big box, but I have a feeling that it might be too big)

With the Guild expansion, WP says that there are 3100 cards. 0_o

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.