Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya - Sotho Blue
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Volume I of Napoleon's Battles includes three colors of figures: blue for the French, red for the British, and gray for the Prussians. The upcoming volumes II and III have been announced, and will include green for the Russians, white for the Austrians, and yellow for the Spanish.

That leaves two colors of figures for Viktory II not spoken for: orange and black. Also, earlier versions used purple. BGG user charlescab had posted some images using the orange for Dutch units, and, thinking it would be great to have fewer informational counters on the board, I decided to acquire some of all three colors. I'm really happy with the result.

I'm using orange for the Dutch of course, and purple for French heavy cavalry, elite infantry and horse artillery. Likewise, I've substituted black artillery pieces for the British horse artillery. Perhaps not the ideal color choice, but easy to remember, and by marking it out differently I'm able to play without markers for these units. I thought other players might be interested to see how it looks:

Note that I've gone ahead and just used four figures for each French heavy cav unit. The fewer counters, the better I like it! I may even try substituting a black figure for one of the four red ones in a British infantry unit to signify light infantry or rifles.

I'd use a green figure instead of black to mark the rifles if I had one, and we weren't fighting something like Leipzig where British and Russians were both involved. Following that same train of thought, I've added a green die in the box to roll with two white ones when the unit with British rifles attached fires.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with your sentiment about getting rid of the counters. I would much prefer to have different colors to cover each type of unit, and do away with all of the counters - except perhaps the leaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I had an answer for the leaders, but don't - the Eagle Games figures are too big, and I'm not going to paint. Having just leaders and square markers was quite an improvement aesthetically, though, not to mention not having to slide the counters every time the unit moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hiske
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I painted my leaders horses black to distinguish them apart and were able to lose the the counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthiske wrote:
I painted my leaders horses black to distinguish them apart and were able to lose the the counters.

That approach crossed my mind; they use different color horses in the Eagle Naploneonic game to make such distinctions. But if you paint the horses, it leads to painting the rest, and I don't want to go that route.

The game has both infantry and cavalry leader markers. Did you somehow come up with two leader types using your paint method?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the full 8 color army for Viktory 2, I use black and white figs as leaders. Doest matter which side is which
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlescab wrote:
If you have the full 8 color army for Viktory 2, I use black and white figs as leaders. Doest matter which side is which

Ah, that's a good answer Charles. At least until we have the Austrians, but there should be a spare color available even then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought engraved counters from Litko for the leaders. I went with the flag-shaped piece. There are only 12 letters allowed, so Wellington became the "Duke," but it lets me get the +3 Duke on a peice of plastic instead of the counter.

I also freely switch in other colors when needed. For example, I always use the grey figures for US militia in the War of 1812 scenarios and green for the Canadians. I'll use white, black or green for elite units. So far I haven't run out of colors.

The only counters I'll probably keep are the counters marking squares because their double-sided nature does have a game function.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Neill
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is there actually a reason you need to use a different colour piece for the Dutch / Belgian units? As far as I can tell, once you begin the game they function just as a samller British unit. In our last play we didn't use the Dutch / Belgian markers at all. Is there something we missed in the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Neill
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Of course I realize now the purpose of the markers is for rallying purposes. I would have to agree that the least amount of markers the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I differentiate the leaders by painting just the cav figure's base in black, rather than the horse... a permanent marker does the trick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.