Ross Murray
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thunderstone: Wrath of the Elements
Solo Variant

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Explanation of Terms Used:

Dungeon Halls: Rank 1 || Rank 2 || Rank 3 OR Rank 0 || Rank 1 || Rank 2 || Rank 3

Tapped: This is a term I picked up when playing Magic the Gathering - I use it in the solo variation of Thunderstone to represent a turn in the game where the Monsters do not advance due to a victory in the Dungeon the previous turn.

Enemy VP: This is the term I will use for the automated opponent of a single player game.

Monster Score Pile: The 'opponent' used to score against in a Solo variant of Thunderstone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monsters: Elemental: Nature, Enchanted, Undead: Spirit.

Dungeon Features: Traps: Dire.

Heroes: Dwarf, Diin, Divine, Runespawn.

Village: Ambrosia, Arcane Energies, Illusory Blade, Pawnbroker, Barkeep, Hatchet, Lightstone Gem, Town Guard.

Thunderstones: Stone of Mystery

Game Start

Turn 1:
Dungeon Halls: Empty || Empty || Empty
7 Gold – Purchased a Dwarf Guardian.

Turn 2:
Dungeon Halls: Empty || Empty || Nixie
3 Gold – Purchased a Town Guard.

Turn 3:
Dungeon Halls: Empty || Nixie || Revenant
6 Gold thanks to my Town Guard. Purchased another Dwarf Guardian.

Turn 4:
Dungeon Halls: Nixie || Revenant || Air Wrath
Just shy of killing the Nixie. 4 Gold – Purchased a Barkeep.

Turn 5: Nixie moves into the Monster Score Pile.
Dungeon Halls: Revenant || Air Wrath || Revenant
Not enough Attack to face the Dungeon depths, headed into the Village. Even after my Town Guard grants me 2 cards, I still only have 2 Gold. Purchased an Arcane Energies.

Turn 6: Revenant moves into the Monster Score Pile.
Trap: I gain 1 Disease from a Poison Gas Trap.
Dungeon Halls: Air Wrath || Revenant || Fire Wrath
8 Gold – Purchased a Diin Illusionist.

Turn 7: Air Wrath moves into the Monster Score Pile.
Dungeon Halls: Revenant || Fire Wrath || Blink Dog
4 Gold – Purchased a Hatchet. Need to get some kills soon…

Turn 8: Revenant moves into the Monster Score Pile.
Dungeon Halls: Fire Wrath || Blink Dog || Pegasus
Right on time. A Dagger given to each a Dwarf Guardian and a Diin Illusionist allows me to kill the Fire Wrath. +2XP.

Turn 9: Monsters are tapped.
Dungeon Halls: Blink Dog || Pegasus || Wraith
6 Gold – Purchased a Dwarf Guardian.

Turn 10:
Dungeon Halls: Blink Dog || Pegasus || Wraith
8 Attack and 1 Light allows me to bind and kill the Pegasus. +1XP.

Turn 11: Monsters are tapped.
Dungeon Halls: Blink Dog || Wraith || Sphinx
Due to having only 2 Gold but an Arcane Energies in my hand, I choose to go to the Dungeon, even though I cannot kill anything yet – Unfortunately I draw a Town Guard. I choose to attack the Blink Dog, lose, and it moves into the Monstser Score Pile.

Turn 12:
Dungeon Halls: Wrath || Sphinx || Water Wrath
8 Attack and 1 Light is enough for me to kill the Wraith. +2XP. One Militia destroyed in the battle.

Turn 13: Monsters are tapped.
Dungeon Halls: Sphinx || Water Wrath || Ghost
6 Gold – Purchased another Dwarf Guardian. Leveled one Militia up to a Diin Illusionist.

Turn 14:
Dungeon Halls: Sphinx || Water Wrath || Ghost
Not enough Attack to kill anything. 4 Gold – Purchased a Hatchet.

Turn 15: Sphinx moves into the Monster Score Pile.
Trap: Placed a Militia in The Cage. I will get it back next Monster kill.
Dungeon Halls: Water Wrath || Ghost || Haunt
10 Attack and 1 Light allows me to kill the Water Wrath even without Light reduction. The Dwarf Guardian is equipped and my two Diin’s have magic attack. My sole Militia is destroyed. I regain my Militia from The Cage. +1XP.

Turn 16: Monsters are tapped.
Dungeon Halls: Ghost || Haunt || Water Wrath
6 Gold – Purchased a Lightstone Gem. I used 3XP to upgrade my Militia to a Dwarf Guardian.

Turn 17:
Dungeon Halls: Ghost || Haunt || Water Wrath
7 Attack and 1 Light allows me to take down the Haunt without additional Light. +1XP.

Turn 18: Monsters are tapped.
Trap: Again a Militia is trapped within The Cage.
Dungeon Halls: Ghost || Water Wrath || Griffon
10 Attack and an Arcane Energies allows me to finally be rid of the Ghost. +1XP. My Militia is released from The Cage.

Turn 19: Monsters are tapped.
Dungeon Halls: Water Wrath || Griffon || Pegasus
7 Gold – Purchased a Lightstone Gem. Leveled a Dwarf to Level 2.

Turn 20:
Dungeon Halls: Water Wrath || Griffon || Pegasus
Unable to mount any sort of Offensive this round. 6 Gold – Purchased the last Dwarf Guardian. Leveled a Dwarf up to Level 2.

Turn 21: Water Wrath moves into the Monster Score Pile.
Dungeon Halls: Griffon || Pegasus || Pegasus
Unable to kill anything once again. 7 Gold – Purchased a Lightstone Gem.

Turn 22: Griffon moves into the Monster Score Pile
Dungeon Halls: Pegasus || Pegasus || Thunder Wrath
Still unable to slay anything. 5 Gold – Purchased a Diin Illusionist. Leveled up a Dwarf Guardian to Level 2.

Turn 23: Pegasus moves into the Enemy Score Pile
Dungeon Halls: Pegasus || Thunder Wrath || Thunder Wrath
14 Attack, however this involves 3 Heroes and 2 Weapons. I could not kill either of the Thunder Wrath’s without the weapons. I kill the Pegasus. +1XP.

Turn 24: Monsters are tapped.
Dungeon Halls: Thunder Wrath || Thunder Wrath || Earth Wrath
8 Gold – Purchased Ambrosia.

Turn 25:
Dungeon Halls: Thunder Wrath || Thunder Wrath || Earth Wrath
Unfortunately I require a very large Attack for this turn, which I have not received. Instead I visit the Village – 7 Gold. I purchase another Ambrosia.

Turn 26: Thunder Wrath moves into the Monster Score Pile.
Dungeon Halls: Thunder Wrath || Earth Wrath || Nixie
9 Attack and no light is still not enough to slay the anything. With 7 Gold I purchase a Hatchet.

Turn 27: Thunder Wrath moves into the Monster Score Pile.
Dungeon Halls: Earth Wrath || Nixie || Earth Wrath
I couldn’t have asked for a better hand. 4 Heroes each with 2 Attack, and a Fire Wrath to provide both Light and the required Elemental reveal to do full damage against the Earth Wrath. I easily slay it - +2XP.

Turn 28: Monsters are tapped.
Dungeon Halls: Nixie || Earth Wrath || Haunt
10 Gold – I purchase a Dwarf Janissary and level my Diin to Level 2.

Turn 29:
Dungeon Halls: Nixie || Earth Wrath || Haunt
I fail to get the Light necessary to delve into the Dungeon depths this turn. With 5 Gold I purchase a Hatchet.

Turn 30: Nixie moves into the Monster Score Pile.
Dungeon Halls: Earth Wrath || Haunt || Air Wrath
With 8 Attack and enough Light to power a small city, I kill the Air Wrath. +1XP.

Turn 31: Monsters are tapped.
Dungeon Halls: Earth Wrath || Haunt || Wraith
A Dwarf Guardian armed with a trusty Hatched and a Lightstone Gem bravely enters the Dungeon alone and returns with the remnants of the Wraith. +2XP. No Militia to destroy.

Turn 32: Monsters are tapped.
Dungeon Halls: Earth Wrath || Haunt || Fire Wrath
I take advantage of another Hatchet wielding Dwarf Guardian and a Lightstone Gem, to kill the Fire Wrath. +2XP.

Turn 33: Monsters are tapped.
Dungeon Halls: Earth Wrath || Haunt || Griffon
I rest to finally do away with the Disease picked up earlier on.

Turn 34:
Dungeon Halls: Earth Wrath || Haunt || Griffon
9 Attack and 4 Light – I slay the Griffon. +2XP.

Turn 35: Monsters are tapped.
Dungeon Halls: Earth Wrath || Haunt || Blink Dog
I level up two Dwarf Jannissary’s to Level 3. With 6 Gold I purchase an Ambrosia.

Turn 36:
Dungeon Halls: Earth Wrath || Haunt || Blink Dog
With 11Attack, no light, but an Elemental reveal from my hand and a Diin revealed, I have the Attack, Magic Attack and Elemental reveal required to kill the Earth Wrath. +2XP.

Turn 37: Monsters are tapped.
Dungeon Halls: Haunt || Blink Dog || Spectre
I take advantage of having 4 Light to kill Blink Dog. +1XP.

Turn 38: Monsters are tapped.
Trap: I gain once Disease from a Poison Gas Trap.
Dungeon Halls: Haunt || Spectre || Ghost
10 Attack and 1 Light. Game is nearing its end, trying not to buy too much. I kill the Spectre. +1XP.

Turn 39: Monsters are tapped.
Dungeon Halls: Haunt || Ghost || Stone of Mystery
Great hand. A Dwarf Sentinal with a Dagger gives 9 Attack, plus 2 Pegasus’ and a Militia. I also have an Arcane Energies, making all attack the Magic Attack required to kill the Ghost and claim the Thunderstone. +1XP.

Game End

Totals:
Monster Score Pile: 50 VP
My Victory Points: 71 VP
Monster Deck Remaining: 1 Card
My Deck Size: 46 Cards
Destroyed Cards: 16 Cards
Unused XP Points: 5 XP

Post Game Comments:

This game was much closer than I would have liked. My Dwarf/Hatchet combo didn't pay off nearly as much as I expected, and I didn't end up using the Diin as much as I had origianlly planned.

The traps weren't really a bother to be honest. This is the first time I've played with the Dire traps and they are clearly pretty ineffectual in a Solo game. Perhaps next time I will have to include Death Traps instead.

I am getting used to the WotE cards but find that many of them are either not useful, or not able to be included at all in Solo games. Whilst the expansion has included new things which I am enjoying, I feel it is very multiplayer focused - this was likely trying to address many players concerns that the base game didn't have much player interaction. Whilst the move was clearly a good one, for Solo players its been somewhat of an underwhelming expansion so far.

Nonetheless, I am enjoying the game still, and look forward to including the soon to be released second expantion into my usual Solo games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report. Although you might be finding the solo play disappointing, you have shown me how it is worthwhile and interesting too. Reading the rules, it looked kinda pasted together. Watching it play out reveals a level of interaction I did not expect that should maintain my interest beyond going through the motions of being able to play a game..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Murray
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Glad I could help

I orriginally purchased Thunderstone for its Solo play and do not regret the purchase - it is a very solid solo game, I was just expecting a bit more from the expansion for solo players.

That said, many players voiced concerns over the lack of interactivity between players in standard game, so addressing this was likely the main priority of WotE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.