Container» Forums » Rules

Subject: secret container values for end game scoring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tycho van der Meij
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hi,

I have never played container, and only scanned te rules but the game seems to me an open information game without any luck.
This appeals to me, but one thing i am not so sure about is the secret values for end game scoring.

I would appreciate any comments on the possibulities during the game of deducting other players values.

regards

Tycho
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Container is a game i love to play, and the scoring system is a big part of why.

It's hard to figure out what enyone is after.

The reason here is that since you have to ignore the container type you have the MOST of entirely when scoring them, people will be trying to buy in lots of containers that have their lowest points-value (to sacrifice). So, you (and everyone else) will be trying to get the SECOND most of your highest value container, and you need to watch out for the dual-value container, becouse if it's a tie between what colours you have the most of, that's the one you lose.

Also, even IF you manage to figure it out, I'd almost recommend AGAINST trying to do anything about it. I think you'l score better just by trying to max out your own points. That's hard enough, let me tell you. If you start buying in container shipments just to deny your opponents, you are probably doing so well money-wise you don't have to.

There are big diffrences from game to game in Container, and one thing that particularly changes is the avarge size of a ship bringin containers to the island. If you have many smaller shipments, the prise is usually better, but those big shipments seems to be more tempting. This again leads to that sometimes you have to pass on a big shipment becouse it contains too much of you best scoring containers, and getting it would result in you losing all of them in the end-scoring.

Also note that we have seen a person without ANY containers on the island win the game with money in hand. Another fun thing is that many times people tend to over-invest in the logistics, or take out loans needlessly. This can not only kill the game for them, but also have a huge negative impact for the other players, as there is one less buyer/seller on the market.

All in all, Container is my favorite "lighter" economics game, that does wonders with simple rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You should know each of the other player's score-cards by the mid-game if you are paying attention. The information-passing in the blind bidding is key to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
You should know each of the other player's score-cards by the mid-game if you are paying attention. The information-passing in the blind bidding is key to this.

Ha! I hardly think about what's on my card until midgame. Good luck
trying to guess what I'm after if I don't know myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Then you are losing the significant advantages of early information passing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Then you are losing the significant advantages of early information passing.

I didn't say that I don't pay attention to what the other players are
buying, but good luck gleaning any information from my early buys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There are advantafpges gained from the information passing of what you bid, what you put on your ship, what you pu in your warehouses, what you produce, how you price, and even by simple elimination given the data passed by other players. The key however is that the information-passing benefits the passer and the responsive recipient, and you lose ground against those who do participate if you don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tycho van der Meij
Netherlands
flag msg tools
thank you for your answers, this is interesting stuff,

i thake it that the exchange of singals trough the blind bidding can indeed be win win situation,
but could an advantage be gained by simply guessing at the start of the game, before anything happens, the values for each player, hope you are right and fully commit your resources to make te most of the envisaged scenario.vs players who hedge their investments a little bit at the start and await the first auctions for more information?

i am very curious...

regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
The key however is that the information-passing benefits the passer and the responsive recipient, and you lose ground against those who do participate if you don't.

Only Clearclaw believes this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the early game, people might well buy anything and everything, just to get a base of containers, and to get atleast one of every colour to boost their 5/10 valued container. I would NOT burn to much brainpower trying to judge people's container values from that. Depends on who you play with i guess, if all the players are mega-pro's and plan each and every buy down to the last percentage of profit, then perhaps there is more actual info in the early buys. The people I play with (and my own strategy included) the early game is more of general collecting, and making money to buy the harbour upgrades you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Barticus88 wrote:

You have not read the Container fora, particularly those around altering the auction-type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
Barticus88 wrote:
clearclaw wrote:
The key however is that the information-passing benefits the passer and the responsive recipient, and you lose ground against those who do participate if you don't.

If you rate the game a 5.9 and have only played twice (according to your profile), it's no wonder that you might think so.

Cooperation with others is critical to success in the game. If you don't work with others, you'll quickly fall behind the players that do. As JC said, there are plenty of posts that discuss it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Fred
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Sounds like a very high level of cheating. I realize folks will object to that characterization, but think about it. Table talk revealing that information is forbidden so why would someone be permitted to do the same thing by bidding in a manner that other sophisticated players would understand. Its really no different than using code or hand signals.

Put in economic terms, it sounds a bit like an anti-trust problem when two huge oil companies conspire on bid rigging and price fixing (whether hi or low).

I like it better when its each man for himself. Of course the winsome train games don't work that way, but it is understood. Container doesn't present itself like the winsome stock/train games in which shared interests are obvious.

That said, I haven't read the container fora but will take a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
FezAZ wrote:
Interesting. Sounds like a very high level of cheating. I realize folks will object to that characterization, but think about it. Table talk revealing that information is forbidden so why would someone be permitted to do the same thing by bidding in a manner that other sophisticated players would understand. Its really no different than using code or hand signals.

Because almost the game is mostly (entirely?) about the manipulation of tempo, and the primary method of affecting tempo after the very early game is careful information leakage and manipulation. In the early game the information leakage is mostly centered around container values (which doesn't necessarily mean value cards, but can). In the later game the information leakage is centered more around future commitments.

Quote:
Put in economic terms, it sounds a bit like an anti-trust problem when two huge oil companies conspire on bid rigging and price fixing (whether hi or low).

Container is an explicitly collusive game in which the players are significantly rewarded for (among other things) collaborating towards mutual price inflation and discouraged from price efficiency.

Quote:
I like it better when its each man for himself. Of course the winsome train games don't work that way, but it is understood. Container doesn't present itself like the winsome stock/train games in which shared interests are obvious.

Container is no less collusive than the Winsome games (eg Wabash Cannonball), and in many ways is more collusive due to the gross (implicit) collaboration required by market protection, price inflation, tempo management, economy management etc in addition to the simpler shared interest structures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
FezAZ wrote:

Because almost the game is mostly (entirely?) about the manipulation of tempo, and the primary method of affecting tempo after the very early game is careful information leakage and manipulation. In the early game the information leakage is mostly centered around container values (which doesn't necessarily mean value cards, but can). In the later game the information leakage is centered more around future commitments.

Quote:

Container is an explicitly collusive game in which the players are significantly rewarded for (among other things) collaborating towards mutual price inflation and discouraged from price efficiency.

Quote:

Container is no less collusive than the Winsome games (eg Wabash Cannonball), and in many ways is more collusive due to the gross (implicit) collaboration required by market protection, price inflation, tempo management, economy management etc in addition to the simpler shared interest structures.

I'm glad I don't play in your group, JC. Sounds like you take pretty much all of the fun out of playing games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ward wrote:
I'm glad I don't play in your group, JC. Sounds like you take pretty much all of the fun out of playing games.

Ooh, neat, I haven't seen this argument on the internet for at least 5 minutes. Let's do it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
BrenoK wrote:
You don't really give that information on purpose, people just naturally understand that a person that bids high on a one-container shipment is bound to have that container high on his value-list.

It is less direct than that. A high bid for a small number of containers early in the game mostly means that the player wants to incent that sale type/pattern. Correlation with other actions in the game and the game state will suggest which pattern they are trying to encourage. Observation over time will usually close the rest of the gap. An easy explanation may be that it is their $2 container and they want an over-supply of it in the game so as to make their colour mix management on the island easier. Another explanation may be that they want to encourage the producer of that colour to produce more often so as to push tempo towards them. A third explanation may be they simply want to ensure that the selling player has (excess) money for the next few player turns. Or it may be all three at the same time, plus some other explanations yet unmentioned. Decisions in Container are rarely obvious and almost always multi-faceted and subtle. A common fourth model would be that they are shoving a vendor competitor (their action-type pair, the other factory player most typically) to over-produce early and thus miss out on the late-game margin increases (that they hope to engender).

Quote:
Considering all the containers are listed in the cards in the exact same order (orange above white, white above black, something like that), it's not that hard to see which player wants what.

In order to ease analysis, I place the container supply and factory supply in that order, and order all containers on each player's island slot also in that order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Ward wrote:

That rather depends on what you consider fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
Ward wrote:

Quite to the contrary, I would love the chance to play in JC's group, as it would be an incredible opportunity to learn. Afterall, some people like to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:
Ward wrote:

Quite to the contrary, I would love the chance to play in JC's group, as it would be an incredible opportunity to learn. Afterall, some people like to learn.

Has nothing to do with learning. Much of the enjoyment of strategy games is learning and exploring.

clearclaw wrote:

Explicit collusion, however, greatly diminishes the fun. Obviously, your mileage may vary, but such tactics are rather gamey and have little to do with learning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Ward wrote:

That rather depends on what you consider fun.

Yes, you are correct of course. Fun is highly subjective. I apologize for using an overly broad brush with my comment. Obviously, there are others who like to play Container in the way that you do, and find enjoyment in it. What I should have said was that your method of play would take much of the fun out the game for me. Collusion can easily break Container, as mentioned in other threads not long after its release, and what's the point of playing a broken game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Ward wrote:
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:

Has nothing to do with learning. Much of the enjoyment of strategy games is learning and exploring.

It all seems like learning to me.

Quote:
clearclaw wrote:

Explicit collusion, however, greatly diminishes the fun. Obviously, your mileage may vary, but such tactics are rather gamey and have little to do with learning.

On the contrary, the trick is to learn how to setup the relationships so that you are the primary beneficiary of all player's attempted (implicit) collusion. This is non-trivial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Ward wrote:
Collusion can easily break Container, as mentioned in other threads not long after its release, and what's the point of playing a broken game?

(For me) implicit collusion (Container is not a negotiation game) is the only thing that makes Container work as a game, as well as being the primary source of interest in the game. It is far from being a broken game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tycho van der Meij
Netherlands
flag msg tools
thanks everybody for the illuminating comments!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ward wrote:
Sounds like you take pretty much all of the fun out of playing games.

Clearclaw never takes the fun out of a game. He steadfastly prevents any fun from getting into the game in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.