Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the "opportunity" to play Fresh Fish again last night. Ow. Ow ow ow. There are four factories on the board [producing fish, games, gasoline, and, um, nuclear waste], and each player is trying to build an outlet store for each of the factories. Ideally you want your outlet to be as close to the factory as possible ['close' determined by number of street tiles between outlet and factory]. So, you go around and reserve plots for future building, and draw tiles. Tiles can be 'dead' buildings [parks, residences, etc] which you build on one of your plots, possibly blocking off someone else's road to the factory, or outlets, which are auctioned off. So far so good.

The real headache comes in with the 'expropriation' rule. Basically, every building must have a street tile on at least one side, and every street tile has to be connected to every other street tile. Thus, every time a building gets placed, everyone stares at the board for several minutes trying to determine which plots can no longet legally hold buildings, and replacing them with street tiles.

This is way more brain-burning than it sounds. Our first game last night had to be called in the middle when we realised that about five turns ago we'd cut the board in half with a row of buildings. Argh. In the second game, two innocuous-looking building placements routed a street over a quarter of the board and at least a half dozen previously-claimed but unbuild plots, unexpectedly forcing Ross's game store from a very nice length-one route out around the board to a length of fifteen.

And yet . . . I find it curiously compelling, in that three-car-pileup sort of way. When people suggest it, I just can't not play. It's like lime tortilla chips: it's not good, just addicting.

Between the game-store fiasco and mistakenly drawing a tile when he didn't have any dead plots to put it on, Ross was out of the game. I struggled as best I could but Adam's super-short routes won the day. Ross: 28, Tucker: 16, Adam: 9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.